Frustration using the xbox conrtroller to fly MSFS 2020 on my Xbox series S !

N4BWD

I am a raw beginner learning how to use MSFS 2020. I love what works, when it does, but it seems erratic at best. My controller often will not control the landing gear sometimes, very irritating landing with the gear up! Lately I was flying trying to take off in a Cessna 152 on

a grass strip in Italy, but my throttle would not advance enough to reach V1 speed! But, as long as I fly in the discovery flights section, everything seems tp work most of the time. If try something from the world selections it seems no go controlling the airplane.

My internet speeds seems good and stable when I check them, and average 10.6 Mb upload and 50.4 Mb. Download.

If there is anyone who can suggest what I can do to get better control please advise?

One thought I had is that since I am operating an Xbox series S with only an ultimate game pass loading MSFS 2020, then maybe I ought to remove the program and re-download it again. Maybe it has been updated in the last 30 days? I've only had the xbox for the last 32 days...

Thanks for any suggestions to a newly who used to fly real airplanes when I was younger!

I have MSFS Premium Deluxe on PC and Xbox Series X. I use a Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo for use with the Xbox, it's the cheapest on the market and works perfectly with the controller - I'll hopefully get the Turtle Beach Velocity One controller when it's released, which will replace the controller altogether.

The keyboard obviously has far more commands available than the controller, and I find the mouse much easier to use in the cockpit than the controller too.

Regarding updates: If a sim update is available, it will download automatically as soon as you switch on the Xbox and a progress bar will appear over the game icon/thumbnail image on the dashboard.

If a world update is available, you'll need to go to the Content Manager screen in-game and download it from there.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hey Tim, Tiger 1962

Thanks for your tips and operation data with your xbox Series X! Encouraging to know! I have a Chinese wireless mouse and keyboard I will try. That might get me better control of the airplanes. Are you able to adjust your throttle speed when taxiing at an airport OK? How about adjusting trim at various speeds in flight?

Like you I am interested in the Turtle Beach Velocity 1 Yoke and control system. Adjusting trim with the xbox controller is not working reliably with me. Maybe using keyboard commands will be!

Thanks again, Vince N4BWD

The keyboard commands for throttle and trim are more precise and easier to use than the controller for sure. Here's a printable list of the keyboard commands: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=209976

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64