Repainting a Registration (N-number)

TheRedBadger

Adding to a list of things I have unresolved and unprioritized (next to the a220's flight dynamics and G5 gauge troubles) is how on earth do I (and did I) repaint the registration number on aircraft?

I had done this correctly once but I just can't remember. I recently got the final result I wanted on paint.net, but when I open the aircraft on FS2004, the textures are blanked out!!

Here was my process:

1. Cover up the old registration by copying some "white stuff" on the fuselage and pasting it over the old ones.

2. Type the new ones (gosh this is a pain).

3. Select the pixels and resize as necessary.

4. Save.

I wish it was as simple as Microsoft Paint where the final result you see is what you get, but it's overcomplicated with all this "layering", transparency, etc.

Maybe it worked the first time because I used an original texture the first time, and the second time I used the "modified" textures as my template?

Carlos Si

Adding to a list of things I have unresolved and unprioritized (next to the a220's flight dynamics and G5 gauge troubles) is how on earth do I (and did I) repaint the registration number on aircraft?

I had done this correctly once but I just can't remember. I recently got the final result I wanted on paint.net, but when I open the aircraft on FS2004, the textures are blanked out!!

Here was my process:

1. Cover up the old registration by copying some "white stuff" on the fuselage and pasting it over the old ones.

2. Type the new ones (gosh this is a pain).

3. Select the pixels and resize as necessary.

4. Save.

I wish it was as simple as Microsoft Paint where the final result you see is what you get, but it's overcomplicated with all this "layering", transparency, etc.

Maybe it worked the first time because I used an original texture the first time, and the second time I used the "modified" textures as my template?

I use DXTBmp for my texture editing.

It will "separate" the actual image from the transparency (alpha channel), send the image to the editor of choice (which can be Microsoft Paint, if you're only doing a basic edit), re-load the image after editing, then re-combine the image and the alpha at save time (remember to keep a copy of the original in case you make a mistake).

As with many freeware packages it is very comprehensive, requires a certain amount of reading of the instructions and also depends on some third-party or other files being pre-installed, but it works!

Hi.

You might need to flatten the image before saving, or you may end up with a different format. Just a straight save of the tx from paint.net could be stripping out the alpha channel too.

As Chris suggests, use DXTBmp for viewing and saving texture files. It will send images to the editor of your choice and reolad the new image after you've finished editing, letting you see what you've made. Using DXTBmp as an intermediary will also avoid losing transparency or gloss finishes, and will ensure you have saved the edited image in the correct format (won't reload in DXTBmp if it's wrong).

D

I use DXTBmp for my texture editing.

It will "separate" the actual image from the transparency (alpha channel), send the image to the editor of choice (which can be Microsoft Paint, if you're only doing a basic edit), re-load the image after editing, then re-combine the image and the alpha at save time (remember to keep a copy of the original in case you make a mistake).

As with many freeware packages it is very comprehensive, requires a certain amount of reading of the instructions and also depends on some third-party or other files being pre-installed, but it works!

Hi.

You might need to flatten the image before saving, or you may end up with a different format. Just a straight save of the tx from paint.net could be stripping out the alpha channel too.

As Chris suggests, use DXTBmp for viewing and saving texture files. It will send images to the editor of your choice and reolad the new image after you've finished editing, letting you see what you've made. Using DXTBmp as an intermediary will also avoid losing transparency or gloss finishes, and will ensure you have saved the edited image in the correct format (won't reload in DXTBmp if it's wrong).

D

Oh right. I think I may have used MS Paint the first time.

I have one question but I might be able to solve it myself if I just tried it...

You mention a "straight save" on Paint.net or the editor. Do I not need to save it before it loads to DXTBmp? Again I woul dhave to try for myself and figure it out.

Carlos Si

Alright I've got it.

I used MSPaint this time (likely what I used the first time) and it worked on the sim.

Though I definitely am curious (and worried) about doing a little more than changing regs.

I'm worried of getting addicted to too little, relatively meaningless changes.

Thanks yall!

Carlos Si

Senore,

IF the designer of the plane would have used the correct design method you could change any N-number the way you like it.

by font

by color

by size

just take the standard MS planes, Cessna 172, 182, DC-3 and in the Selection sequence you can change the n-number.

IF you would like to have it PERMANENTLY done for ANY entry for any plane in the aircraft.CFG file you must just , very easely doe,

change THREE line Entries to achieve what you desire .

sincerely

g. kirschstein