Thinking on taking the plunge.. advice please

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

1) What are you coming from in a monitor?

2) What are your game quality settings?

I can tell you that all other things being equal, if you are running at 1080p settings currently and happy with 30fps at whatever your sim quality settings are, expect a significant FPS loss at the same settings with this monitor. You are asking your GPU to push nearly 2.5x more pixels moving up to that from a 1920x1080p monitor (from 2.073M pixels to 4.953M pixels).

That said, that's a great deal!

Edited by N069NT
math
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

I'm running high/ultra, figured I would have to scale back a little. when the price/availability comes down I'll splurge on a new graphics card. Until then the Radeon 4 GB will have to do. I through in another throttle quad and Logitech Saitek Flight Multi Panel - Flight simulator instrument panel for good measure. This is almost an expensive hobby as playing guitar, bass and drums!

Edit: I'm currenty running 1600x900... so yeah... its going to work somewhat harder but won't freesync make up some of the difference?

Edited by DLR_41
Addition

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

I run an LG 34" curved monitor (3440x1440) and could never go back. I don't know your Radeon card and would not know how it would perform, but there are many other people running with 4 GB RAM cards, so I don't think you would be dead in the water. If FPS is too low, you may have to reduce the resolution until you can get a better card. I am doing fine with my old 1080 TI in a mix of settings between Ultra and High, but it does have 11GB of RAM, and I am sure that is why it can still kick.

I run an LG 34" curved monitor (3440x1440) and could never go back. I don't know your Radeon card and would not know how it would perform, but there are many other people running with 4 GB RAM cards, so I don't think you would be dead in the water. If FPS is too low, you may have to reduce the resolution until you can get a better card. I am doing fine with my old 1080 TI in a mix of settings between Ultra and High, but it does have 11GB of RAM, and I am sure that is why it can still kick.

I was eyeballing 43" 4K TV's but found this one on sale, plus I do have a Dell account. I didn't realize the 1080 TI had that much RAM in it! If push comes to shove I probably can snatch one on Ebay or something if price and availability doesn't turn around. Though the years I've watched prices go up and down and right now i think they are peaked once again. I remember back when I was first starting out that RAM was like $100 a Mb. a 512 Mb HD was inconceivable and we had a 512 Kb barrier to where I had to do some editing in config sys and autoexec.batch just to run Falcon 4.0... errmm I think I just dated myself in a very ancient way!

Hi DLR_41. Like others have mentioned, your graphics card will have a rough time driving that resolution; probably in terms of VRAM and processing power.

You also mentioned freesync. The vertical refresh rate range for that monitor is 48 to 100 Hz; I believe this is essentially the bounds of the freesync range - yes, there is a lower limit to freesync refresh rate. You'll need to judge if you can achieve at least 48 FPS on your GPU at that resolution with your settings.

Personally, I think you may need to jump for that 1080 if you go for this monitor.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Hi DLR_41. Like others have mentioned, your graphics card will have a rough time driving that resolution; probably in terms of VRAM and processing power.

You also mentioned freesync. The vertical refresh rate range for that monitor is 48 to 100 Hz; I believe this is essentially the bounds of the freesync range - yes, there is a lower limit to freesync refresh rate. You'll need to judge if you can achieve at least 48 FPS on your GPU at that resolution with your settings.

Personally, I think you may need to jump for that 1080 if you go for this monitor.

Gonna be next month before I can do it, just had both grandbabies Bday's and well, I spoil em! I'm sure I'm not alone on that field! I can actually run ultra all the way right now without any skipping or anomalies right now as is. To me I didn't think it would do it but was pleasantly surprised as I flew past mount everest in stunning detail. I think if I use this 21" HP on the onboard for CP panel it might allow more on the card??? Any idea, anybody??? If I remember right, you could do that on the old FSX before I walked away 10 yrs or so ago...

Either way Kwatt, a juicy new card is in my future down the road!

“I think if I use this 21" HP on the onboard for CP panel it might allow more on the card??? “

Most motherboards won’t let you use the onboard card at the same time as your main gpu but if they do, there is usually a big performance hit.

You can probably connect both screens to your gpu anyway, but it’ll still affect performance a bit. I have three 43” tvs plugged into my GPU. Although I only fly in VR now, my FPS would drop dramatically when I used all three screens.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Here is the performance of the RX 570 with 8GB vram. Note this is straight 1440, not a wide screen.

VidCards.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I don't find a test of the Rx 560 on MSFS, but using the userbenchmark comparison, the Rx 560 will get about 75% of the fps of a Rx 570. Thus, the scores above would be ~21 and ~18.5 fps. You would improve a bit at low settings, but still probably below 30 fps. Therefore your freesync will be useless as you can't reach 48 fps on minimal settings. I do think these results may be too low for the latest update, but you will still likely be below 48 fps. Also note, these scores are for a normal wide 1440p, not a wide screen. That will lower the scores on a wide screen substantially below the ones shown above.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I don't find a test of the Rx 560 on MSFS, but using the userbenchmark comparison, the Rx 560 will get about 75% of the fps of a Rx 570. Thus, the scores above would be ~21 and ~18.5 fps. You would improve a bit at low settings, but still probably below 30 fps. Therefore your freesync will be useless as you can't reach 48 fps on minimal settings. I do think these results may be too low for the latest update, but you will still likely be below 48 fps. Also note, these scores are for a normal wide 1440p, not a wide screen. That will lower the scores on a wide screen substantially below the ones shown above.

I reckon I'll just have to suffer a bit... If it's to unbearable I can still just use the 21" for now, I sure hope that isn't the case. Luckily for right now I'm still in "training" as its been a while (10 yrs) so I'm having to relearn a lot of stuff. Funny how I dumped the knowledge by not using it. It's not like playing music, I can rely on muscle memory for that in a lot of ways. But in this case it's like forgetting the entire song library!

If push comes to shove I probably can snatch one on Ebay or something if price and availability doesn't turn around. Though the years I've watched prices go up and down and right now i think they are peaked once again.

Oh it's beyond that these days. We will not have normal GPU stock (let alone pricing) well into next year if not into 2023 if not ever (and that depends on how mining goes for cryptocurrency on top of it all). We are nearly a year into the release of the 5th generation 4K capable gaming consoles (Playstation 5, Xbox Series X) and they are impossible to find. There's a major global chip shortage affecting supply of everything from GPUs to refrigerators to automobiles.

My suggestion would be to get on NewEgg and join their Shuffle program for a new GPU at retail price. That's how I got my 3080 Ti. Basically it's a lottery to win the privilege of buying a card. It thwarts the bots which take over all the announced new inventory release alerts people sign up for. Your best bet will be to lock in on a combo action and sell what you don't need (video card + memory, video card + PSU, video card plus monitor). My EVGA card was tied with an EVGA 850W G+ power supply that I sold.

I feel for you as I myself was off FSX and here for many years due to various life changes. Then MSFS happened. Then hardware shortages happened (mostly around video cards). Speaking of hardware, you having that Dell will definitely need to address the issue of upgrading your power supply to take on a more updated and powerful GPU. And that means a bigger case which can handle a full ATX spec PSU for the PCIe cables needed for today's more powerful GPUs.

This Dell forum thread explains it pretty well:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Dell-Inspiron-3671-psu-upgrade/td-p/7832114

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

Speaking of hardware, you having that Dell will definitely need to address the issue of upgrading your power supply to take on a more updated and powerful GPU. And that means a bigger case which can handle a full ATX spec PSU for the PCIe cables needed for today's more powerful GPUs.

I kinda saw this one coming. I have already put some thought into it and figure next year on a new build. If I'm satisfied with the performance of this CPU even though its not the K edition I'll have this, RAM (add more as well) and this rather small SSD I added (256Mb) for OS. that I can cannibalize. If not I'll research and build once again. Or if I'm feeling lazy get a kick @ss Alienware. I can see this evolving. I have optimism regarding 6 - 8 months down the road actually. I know things look pretty bad right now but believe there will be a rapid change in the very near future. But now the lawn care thing is dying down I'll settle for a bit on what I have.

I sure do appreciate that link! That adapter just might do the trick if I do need to upgrade the PWS. Its only metal, after years of sheet metal (structural maintenance) I think I can fashion a suitable mod if need be. I do have some older Dell cases laying around in the garage as well so a Frankenstein machine might be an interesting challenge to say the least. What's that old saying? Necessity is the father of invention? You wouldn't believe the tools and bucking bars I had to fashion for those old 727's and 737's back in the day. LOL, Not to mention the 1 wrench I crafted out for a G3. I ended up selling a couple of those.

If I can get my hands on a 1080TI I think I will be Ok. If not, This card is capable of VR I think.

1) What are you coming from in a monitor?

2) What are your game quality settings?

I can tell you that all other things being equal, if you are running at 1080p settings currently and happy with 30fps at whatever your sim quality settings are, expect a significant FPS loss at the same settings with this monitor. You are asking your GPU to push nearly 2.5x more pixels moving up to that from a 1920x1080p monitor (from 2.073M pixels to 4.953M pixels).

That said, that's a great deal!

Wow bro, I do not know how this happened but the link to the monitor I never even looked at! This is the one I ordered and will be getting hopefully tomorrow... https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3222dgm/apd/210-azzr/monitors-monitor-accessories

I gotta go edit that link! This one is 16X9 2560X1440 curved monitor.

Edited by DLR_41
Fat finger misspell!

Yes, this machine (according to BIOS settings) will allow to run one on the built in graphics. but is limited to 1 Gb from shared memory. I can play around and see what happens. I do believe I was on a thread about you and another guys VR. I am intrigued to say the least and I do know this card supports it. seems like the VR wouldn't kill me as much on quality, am I correct on that assumption? Sorry, I kinda overlooked this post earlier somehow...

Hi Donnie,

I don’t think the RX 560 will be any good for VR, especially with MSFS being so demanding in the first place.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube though, of people running the sim (in 2D) with the RX560. Even on low settings, the sim looks good.

Like this one for example.

Admittedly it’s not flying over a built up area and there are a few stutters but it’s still not bad. I don’t know how their cpu compares with yours though.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi Donnie,

I don’t think the RX 560 will be any good for VR, especially with MSFS being so demanding in the first place.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube though, of people running the sim (in 2D) with the RX560. Even on low settings, the sim looks good.

Like this one for example.

Admittedly it’s not flying over a built up area and there are a few stutters but it’s still not bad. I don’t know how their cpu compares with yours though.

Regards

Steve

I'm averaging right now 56 FPS with the current 21" @1600X900. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that on the radeon software. That's with everything ultra right now. I was running some high and some ultra for a few days. It may not be as bad as I think it will be.

Appreciate it Steve.

Steve,Did you have any persistence, ghosting,delay problems with your 43"screens.Do they have a quoted response time?

Can’t say I noticed any persistence or ghosting. I wanted three, fairly large screens and TVs were a cheaper option.

But.. I switched to VR just a few months later :)

Regards

Steve

I'm averaging right now 56 FPS with the current 21" @1600X900. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that on the radeon software. That's with everything ultra right now. I was running some high and some ultra for a few days. It may not be as bad as I think it will be.

Appreciate it Steve.

No problem.

56fps on ultra? That’s pretty good then! :)

Regards

Steve

No problem.

56fps on ultra? That’s pretty good then! :)

Regards

Steve

To be more accurate it's 55.6 Looking at your signature, that's a helluva machine you got!

To be more accurate it's 55.6 Looking at your signature, that's a helluva machine you got!

55.6? Not as good as I thought then LOL

seriously though, it’s certainly fast enough for flying :)

I upgraded my setup at around April 2020 if I remember correctly. I guess parts were still available and at reasonable prices.

I bought a “bare bones” pc. Basically the case..motherboard, PSU and CPU all assembled (& with a cooling system) I bought the ram separately.. plus the M2 drives and added the 2080ti I had already bought a couple of months earlier.

I then sold my previous pc on eBay (after putting back in my old 1080 GPU) which helped pay for the new setup a bit.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Hi Donnie,

I’m blaming you for putting thoughts into my head and making me do what I’ve just done… :)

ordered an RTX 3090!! Still overpriced at £2000 but I’ve got it on a buy now, pay later - plus I’ll be able to sell my RTX 2080ti

Regards

Steve

Hi Donnie,

I’m blaming you for putting thoughts into my head and making me do what I’ve just done… :)

ordered an RTX 3090!! Still overpriced at £2000 but I’ve got it on a buy now, pay later - plus I’ll be able to sell my RTX 2080ti

Regards

Steve

Bummer.. for me not you! I can't spend anymore! Congrats on the new card! I can't say anything about cost of anything now! I have spent a literal bundle of cash in the last 2 months. Do you think a married man like myself can spend this kind of money without spending on the wife as well?... You know how it is I'm sure.. "What about me??? What have you done for me lately???"

Just explain to the wife that you bought it all for her! I’m sure she’ll believe you :)

I panicked a few minutes ago when I realised how big my new card I will be. It’s the Gigabtye RTX3090 24G Aorus Etreme.. which apparently is rather wide and takes up four slots!

I’ve looked at my rig and I should be ok. I might have to move the Wi-Fi card down a slot though.

Regards

Steve