Damaged usb port

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

I have managed to damage one of my USB ports whilst removing my SSD portable drive.

When I pulled the SSD drive from the port it came away with some of the blue plastic internals from that port, perhaps rather foolishly I tried to reinsert (gently) the SSD drive minus the plastic bits but only succeeded in bending the pins of the port.

Surprisingly that port no longer works and is damaged beyond repair I suspect

My PC has been running for nearly two days now since the incident and seems to be fine. FS9 running well as ever with no problems.

Is it safe to assume the computer is OK? (minus one broken port of course)

Again as I type this message no problems with the PC

I believe (but can't be sure )that it's difficult for even a qualified computer technician to replace broken ports, but if that's not the case I would consider taking it to my local repair shop(where I actually bought the PC from three years ago)

I think the only other option other than repairing the port is to replace the whole motherboard, but would rather not go down that route as I will probably buy a new PC in the next year or two anyway.

In summary, I have indulged in idiot behavior, and broken a USB port, but the pc is functioning just as it always has.

Do you think I have got away with it this time?

I await your expert views on this.

PS I know this is not really an FS2004 query as such, but feel I will get more views here.

Thanks Andy

Hi, Andy!

Is it safe to assume there are a few other USB ports that are functioning normally on your computer? If so, then I don't think there is a problem just leaving the broken one alone and carrying on from there!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi, Andy!

Is it safe to assume there are a few other USB ports that are functioning normally on your computer? If so, then I don't think there is a problem just leaving the broken one alone and carrying on from there!

Hello Zip nice to hear from you.

That was a quick on the draw reply even buy your standards.

I am happy to say all other ports functioning correctly.

PS Are you any nearer to your new PC yet?

Don't want you forgetting how to fly.

Cheers Andy

Nope, nowhere closer, especially with the shortages and shipping problems here and everywhere else. I'm still not impressed with the new Sim and all the updates and things going wrong with it. It may be a while! :(

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If the broken port is on the front of the computer, there's a good chance it's on a separate sub-board connected to the system board by a cable … 10 minutes work to replace if parts are available (and not too expensive).

If the broken port is on the rear of the computer there's a good chance it's fitted directly to the system board, in which case you can be grateful no further damage was done … either way, tape the hole over so there's no chance of poking something in there accidently in the future and potentially causing a short circuit!

Yep, tape it over and forget about it. If you need more ports, get one of those cheap 4 port hubs and use that instead.

Give each of your FlightSim peripherals a dedicated port, and use the hub for your 'regular' computer stuff like flash drives, printer/scanner or other stuff.

Alan :pilot:

If the broken port is on the front of the computer, there's a good chance it's on a separate sub-board connected to the system board by a cable … 10 minutes work to replace if parts are available (and not too expensive).

If the broken port is on the rear of the computer there's a good chance it's fitted directly to the system board, in which case you can be grateful no further damage was done … either way, tape the hole over so there's no chance of poking something in there accidently in the future and potentially causing a short circuit!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Yep, tape it over and forget about it. If you need more ports, get one of those cheap 4 port hubs and use that instead.

Give each of your FlightSim peripherals a dedicated port, and use the hub for your 'regular' computer stuff like flash drives, printer/scanner or other stuff.

Thanks Alan.

Will take your advice.

The port I damaged was the rear one.

I initially did tape it over to avoid any other further possible damage, then did the idiot thing of trying to carefully reinsurt my portable ssd ,which of course bent the pins of that particular port.

I will re-tape it over.

I was just wondering if by using a hub you might slow down slightly the speed of data transference ,and that's why you recommend giving FS9 peripherals a dedicated port ?

I am not particularly tech savvy so if my question is completely nonsensical I apologize.

PS I don't know if it would be possible,but It would be preferable if I could actually use surgery to amputate the remains of the broken port from the Motherboard ,just for the sake of tidyness and removing any possibility of short circuits.(after all dogs function quite normally on three legs after surgery to remove a damaged one :) ) but I won't be trying that procedure myself :)

Cheers Andy

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

There's a good chance the USB ports on the back of your tower are hard wired to the motherboard, so theoretically a savvy computer tech could remove the card with the ports and reinstall a new one.

Giving your joystick, keyboard and/or mouse each a dedicated port just insures (hopefully) a good interface instead of sharing the load plugged into a hub. If you also have front facing USB ports, so much the better!

Happy simming!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG