What is the status of Instant Scenery today?

JonBuck

Wondering what is the status of the Instant Scenery add-on scenery now...September 2021? Are there any alternative scenery add-on available?

Been away from Flt Sim for a couple of years and would like to continue some of my old FS9 scenery projects. Can anyone bring me up to date? Would appreciate it greatly.

JonB :cool:

Instant Scenery (for FS2004) would appear to have been discontinued, see http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=instscen though there is a v3 available, whether it's suitable for Fs2004 is unclear.

Airport Design Editor might be a suitable alternative, but I've not tried it. I continue to use SceneGenX and EZ-Scenery, both of which are long since discontinued but between them they do all I need.

Thanks for the responses, gents.

Have heard that IS3 caught a virus and that's the reason it was discontinued. Don't know if that is true through. I saw some reference to a Instant Scenery 4 and a supposed connection toe Flt Sim 2020. Any truth to that? Does IS4 even exist?

Also, Do you know if the EZ Scenery add-on can be found anywhere? I can't even find the Abacus website anymore. Is it gone, too?

I had hoped to create more scenery in my old FS9, but the chances of that is looking pretty grim, now. A shame, too! Time changes everything, but in this case, not for the good!!!.

JonB

Also, Do you know if the EZ Scenery add-on can be found anywhere? I can't even find the Abacus website anymore. Is it gone, too?

I had hoped to create more scenery in my old FS9, but the chances of that is looking pretty grim, now. A shame, too! Time changes everything, but in this case, not for the good!!!.

JonB

Abacus is long gone, but EZ-Scenery was available on a CD, with a serial number on the packaging, so there may be some "new old stock" lying around somewhere, or even a s/h copy on eBay or similar. Just be aware that on the "newer" operating systems the Abacus registration details don't "stick" very well so regularly need to be re-entered. I keep a text file on my desktop for details like this and just copy and paste as required!

Programs like Rwy12 and ScenegenX will allow object placement from libraries, but not with the WYSIWYG capability of EZ-Scenery etc., so can be a little more long-winded. ScenegenX also allows the "construction" of default buildings … a little-utilised feature of FS9, which can be really useful for placing an array of 'generic' buildings onto photographic scenery that fit the photographic outlines exactly, ideal for industrial estates and such!

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info, especially about EZ-Scenery because, as luck would have it, I found an EZ-Scenery .exe file buried in one of my backup disks. I can't recall how I came by it. If I bought it from Abacus some years ago, I no longer have any registration/serial numbers or proof of purchase 'stuff' saved anywhere. Wondering if I'll need any of them to install and make use of the app. Haven't tried it yet.

Am curious to know exactly what you meant about having to re-enter your registration info. Is it something Abacus gave you when you first bought the program?

JonB

Thanks Chris, ...

Am curious to know exactly what you meant about having to re-enter your registration info. Is it something Abacus gave you when you first bought the program?

JonB

No, the serial number was printed on the documentation with the CD I bought. I'm guessing if you've only got an .exe you either bought it online, so would have been supplied a serial number separately, possibly by e-mail, or you downloaded the demo version and never got around to paying for it. Third possibility is that it's a hacked version you've "acquired" and it'll install and run with no problem ;) In "demo mode" the program will appear to run, but will only save scenery within a few mile radius of a specific point, at least that's how the CD version works.