Hello everyone,

I have just registered onto this site for some help.

It seems that there is a lot of problems with the new flight sim 2020 game. I am wanting to build my own rig which I feel comfortable doing apart from, when it comes to the downloads for all the hardware. I am no computer wiz. So before I purchase the new game I want a set up that will run MSFS 2020.

Can anyone help me with this at all.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

It all depends on what sort of performance you are wanting…will you want the graphics settings on high..ultra…what sort of resolution would you want… will you be flying in VR... how much you’re willing to spend…and even which components are available. There is a shortage of graphics cards for example, unless you pay an extortionate price. If you are wanting a new rig then the first thing to do is check out the minimum/recommended requirements…

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013463459-Minimum-Recommended-and-Ideal-PC-Specifications-for-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator

Personally I would make sure I was on the recommended spec at least. Ideal is better.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Bullterrier,

Not everyone experiences the problems. I have had the sim since it came out over a year ago. I am still on my original install, and i have had very few problems. If you have older equipment or a laptop or a minimal capable machine, you will probably have problems. It doesn't like HDDs and it needs lots of cooling. If you add files and leave them in the community folder during updates, you may have surprise problems? I have stayed stock, but some run addons successfully.

As Steve said, what resolution of monitor do you plan to run? It takes a lot more to run 4K than to run 1080p. Be sure to get a M.2 or fast SSD of at least 1Tb. Get a well vented case with multiple fans. Get a good cooler setup. Get at least 16 Gb of 3200 speed memory. If you plan to run 4K, make that 32 Gb. I won't comment on CPU or GPU until you tell us your desired resolution?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hello everyone,

I have just registered onto this site for some help.

It seems that there is a lot of problems with the new flight sim 2020 game. I am wanting to build my own rig which I feel comfortable doing apart from, when it comes to the downloads for all the hardware. I am no computer wiz. So before I purchase the new game I want a set up that will run MSFS 2020.

Can anyone help me with this at all.

Craig.

A good machine is required, and as pointed out the GFX card will be the biggest investment at this point. I had to settle for what was available and affordable to me. As we all know "this to shall pass" and I can upgrade later. I will say with what I have it runs smoothly and I have a few settings bumped up to ultra. Your peripherals will be costly as well but my HC alpha was worth every dime!

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

g7rta's link is invaluable - IMHO only build a machine that meets the Recommended or Ideal specs, the minimum will not be enough - IMHO

Also DO note the recommended internet speed to happily run the sim - also IMHO you can't have 'too fast' a connection but too slow and it just won't really run well at all. This new flight sim offering is a demanding little rascal - lol - but it is also great fun to fly with the right hardware and internet connection.

FWIW my hardware runs MSFS 2020 just fine at most Med-High game settings and I've never experienced a CTD.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

All of these posts speak the truth. As one person posted, check out what others are using, perhaps that can provide some guidance from there.

I also agree, get the most you can afford etc. MSFS looks great (for me at least) when I run at High or Ultra settings. But, you want to have enough horsepower to do that.

My specs are in my signature, and I run at High/Ultra settings, getting between 25-30 FPS over NYC, London

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality