For Rupert.

ColR1948

Forgive this post please as I wanted to show my friend Michael aka Rupert this Chinook CH53.

This is in X-Plane Michael, great detail as you can see, engine sound is great too, comes with a few different textures as well but I picked Marines just for you.

Flies at 140kts not sure if that is correct or not.

CH-53E 1.jpg

CH-53E 2.jpg

CH-53E 3.jpg

CH-53E 4.jpg

Ch-53E Close.jpg

I know they don't belong in this section but wanted Michael to see them.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Hi Larry, I was afraid they may have got removed, I was hoping Michael would see them first, he may do yet fingers crossed.

Col.

Thanks Col.!! Good shots!! And I really wish we had a refuel probe on our CH-46s back in the '60s!! Flying in Indian Country with low fuel lights ablaze is no fun at all!!!:eek::eek:

PS, I'm looking into X-Plane myself. No joy with the new Microsoft FS. It has serious issues IMHO in way too many ways. And that doesn't even include the long down load of "updates" almost every time you try to "fly." They really should have come up with a saleable product before, not after, they put it on the market!! We're all either Charlie or Delta Testers.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey Col,

Thanks again for CH-53 shots! BTW they were called "Sea Stallions." You can pretty much tell who the first customer for an aircraft was by the nickname it is given from the factory. For Example I flew last flew a "Sea Knight," CH-46, designed for the Navy & Marine Corps. Accent on the Sea part. Which meant it was designed for easy carrier use.

The Chinook was slightly newer, larger, and also built by Boeing Vertol, but designed to Army specs and labelled a CH-47.

Hi Michael, glad you saw the shots, I thought of you right away when I saw the chopper.

In X-Plane there are a few choppers to fly and a decent variety of GA's and Tubes, the scenery isn't too bad either but Orbx is also getting involved now as well.

I have X-Plane11 and there are guys making more aircraft all the time, a lot are very good, with lots of detail, there is also an option to let the AI fly the aircraft where not only can you view as spot plane but sit in the cockpit as well. Anyway my friend enough of my sales talk lol.

Col.

Col.

"with lots of detail, there is also an option to let the AI fly the aircraft where not only can you view as spot plane but sit in the cockpit as well."

Actually I qualified as a AI pilot such as you described on more than one occasion RW in Vietnam! According to the pay rules anyone who "flew" for a minimum of four (4) hours per month as a pilot or member of the crew qualified for a month's worth of "Flight Pay."

Sadly many/most of the 'brass" were way more interested in time at their club and "desk work" than actually flying an aircraft. So near the end of most, no I'd say all months, there were a bunch on COs, XOs, etc. all on the flight list for mid-morning routine flights in if not perfect, certainly pretty weather. They'd climb into the right seat, which on a chopper is the command seat and let the co-pilot fly them around till they got their 4 hours as PIC or as we called HAC.

Once that 4 hours was made they usually weren't actually on the flight-line for another month unless some higher ranking brass were also in the area.

One CO used to carry a "Hog-leg" .44 magnum. He'd sit in the right seat and stare out the side vent window for something to shoot at through the open vent window. He'd listen to all the radio calls and occasionally complain some nit pit jargon wasn't perfectly used in radio conversation, but never even deign to look at the gauges! Another guy was a photography buff who spent the whole flight with his 35mm SLR in his hands.

Of course the same people who flew them around in perfect weather to earn their flight pay were also expected to fly 100% of the IFR, hot zone landings., and night flying as well.

Edited by Rupert

Your stories are always interesting Michael.

Col.

Some are called Sea Stories. Sadly this one is exactly how I remember it.

I did forget another exception to the 4 hours the brass put in. That was when Bob Hope or one of the other big shots came over with a bevy of young attractive women. When that happened "paperwork" must have really backed up in the offices. Because the brass were all over those flights.

Having said that, Martha Raye's "show tours" were another story. She traveled all over the country usually just with her male guide. She had her own personal "call sign" and on one was ever surprised when the UHF came on saying, sorry I can't remember her call sign, needed transpo from "X" landing zone to another "Y." Once someone scrambled to get them there, they'd fly into a place, often near hot zones and put on shows & likely spend the night(s) in a tent till everyone nearby was able to see her, then move on to another zone. She was a true hero!! She'd go almost anywhere several troops needed someone to cheer them up!

And no, most of the brass I was around really didn't have time to be Martha's "taxi drivers." Though many others of us jumped through hoops to make sure she got her hops!!

Another good story Michael, on the subject of celebs, when I worked at the airport I saw many and on occasion actually spoke to a few.

Some were very nice and down to earth, others could be very snobby and some even bad mannered, but what sometimes annoyed me was they often got privileges just because of who they were, like let off with excess baggage, shown to the VIP lounge for free drinks and food etc and upgraded to first class if they weren't already.

Col.