Dumb guy question about all these updates and Hotfixes

Caveat, I am NOT a games programmer ner nuthin’, but is it REALLY that difficult/impossible a programming task for Asobo or Microsoft to have this doggone sim simply update itself with each frequent new iteration and Hotfix, rather than making millions of customers jump through these various silly hoops just to fly a make-believe airplane? There’s just GOTTA be a smarter way to update this software automatically?

I mean really, it sure seems like Windows 10 somehow manages to update itself each time without needing MY input.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Theoretically, yes, it is possible to come up with something better, and I really doubt Asobo thought this was the ideal solution. I suspect there are some technical limitations somewhere in the chain (MS Store, Xbox app, Steam, streaming scenery and/or being built for PC and Xbox in combination with everything else). Most likely there's some functionality missing in the MS Store and/or limitation in the UWP application model that is causing issues. I'm not sure there are many other UWP games in the MS Store that need to support both a built-in marketplace, as well as external third party add-ons, for example.

On the other hand, the Windows update process has been around since Windows XP and has to be solid, or MS's enterprise customers would be very unhappy.

Here is another dumb question: Since I have not bought this new Sim yet, if I bought it today, would I get the base Sim from Aug. 2020 and will it need to go through all of these World updates and hotfixes before it's ready to fly? :rolleyes:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Here is another dumb question: Since I have not bought this new Sim yet, if I bought it today, would I get the base Sim from Aug. 2020 and will it need to go through all of these World updates and hotfixes before it's ready to fly? :rolleyes:

I think you'll get the current version (1.19.9.0 right now) which includes all sim updates and hotfixes, but NOT the World Updates so you'll still need to download those in the Content Manager.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Like I admitted, I am not even a knowledgable newcomer to programming, I know next to nothing about the process - lol

My question comes from all the various times recently I have been notified that there was an update to various different apps on my Desktop and all I've ever had to do was mouse click the "Update now" button, things happened, and the new version was up and running.

Seems like "the hurried-er we go, the behind-er we get."-lol

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I think you'll get the current version (1.19.9.0 right now) which includes all sim updates and hotfixes, but NOT the World Updates so you'll still need to download those in the Content Manager.

Thanks for the info, Tim! You da man! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Like I admitted, I am not even a knowledgable newcomer to programming, I know next to nothing about the process - lol

My question comes from all the various times recently I have been notified that there was an update to various different apps on my Desktop and all I've ever had to do was mouse click the "Update now" button, things happened, and the new version was up and running.

Seems like "the hurried-er we go, the behind-er we get."-lol

You can set the MS Store to automatically update applications it directly manages, such as the Xbox app, Xbox Gaming Services and core MSFS app. Combining this with leaving my PC on most of the time, I don't usually need to explicitly look for updates for any of these, and just need to run through the package updates MSFS does when it launches and then the Content Manager updates.

For anyone having trouble with Microsoft Store not updating apps, you can reset it in three different ways by following this guide: https://winaero.com/reset-windows-store-windows-10/

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Guest Robert455

@chicagorandy - Nope, you are absolutely correct. How MS/Asobo does updates is totally wrong and very confusing for many.

There are updates in three different locations that users need to keep up with. It should be only a single location. We sometimes have to update the loader in Steam or the Microsoft store (depending on how you bought the sim), there are updates in the “Checking For Updates” screen, and then you have to check for updates in the Content Manager. Oh, and don’t forget to boot the sim with nothing in your community folder, exit, put it all back, and then fire it up again with your fingers crossed your add-ons work properly. That can at least now be done synthetically after a sim crash - maybe. That menu seems to have just been turned off for now due to all the complaints about it asking after a normal shutdown.

We lose a lot of pilots because even after all this time in the software business, Microsoft still has their heads collectively wedged. People rage quit FS2020 and it’s entirely understandable in many cases. There are too many problems with the process and not enough information. The sim relies on an internet connection but they don’t tell you when their servers are having issues which seems to be fairly frequently. All you can do is check the boards to see if others are seeing issues or post yourself if nobody else has posted.

The sim is amazing and my favorite thing to do, but way too often I get grounded because some issue has to be sorted. It is frustrating and the process would be described as amateur at best. It’s been released for over a year but it may be the buggiest software MS has ever put out and that’s saying a lot. It’s really better described as “early access” since it still doesn’t have all the advertised features and still has so many bugs. But other than all that, great sim.

Pardon the reply, if I'm off base, but I am an unfortunate cynic and suspect the situation is expected on Microsoft's part. From my readings in other sites and journals, this iteration of Flight Simulator is not really intended for gaming or individual customers. Rather the eventual intent is a first class desktop/ laptop flight simulator program for private and commercial pilots that will greatly reduce the need for high level "simulator time" at Redbird or one of the other pilot training schools. The cost savings for airlines and private pilots will be enormous. The genius in this is, "How do you develop this in a beta format, test it, iron out all the bugs over a few years, at a much reduced cost?" Answer: the ready-made flight sim community which has been clamoring for a new sim for years. I think it a stroke of developer genius to beta test software and have the testers pay for the privilege, reducing overall developer costs. I suspect all these issues with MSFS 2020 will be resolved eventually as the final product for the aviation community takes form. When the sim is online for commercial and general aviation, expect a high class, efficient flight simulator that will be so good, it is FAA approved for training. (There will always be glitches 'cause it's Microsoft, after all.) When this is finalized expect a great experience and a HUGE increase in the cost. Thanks, sim community, for paying us to get this going!

Dan French

the eventual intent is a first class desktop/ laptop flight simulator program for private and commercial pilots

If that's the case then Lockheed Martin have shown them the way with Prepar3d, except Lockheed Martin charge the full price again for each sim update. However much of a pain it is to update MSFS, at least it's free of charge.

If that's the case then Lockheed Martin have shown them the way with Prepar3d, except Lockheed Martin charge the full price again for each sim update. However much of a pain it is to update MSFS, at least it's free of charge.

They DO give you free incremental updates for each version. I waited for version v5 (passed over v1~v4 because wanted a no OOM x64 sim) with no intention of buying v6 or later. One thing really cool was EVERY ORBX product I got for FSX was a free of charge update for P3D.

True test will be if we get a FREE MSFS helicopter update

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Rather the eventual intent is a first class desktop/ laptop flight simulator program for private and commercial pilots that will greatly reduce the need for high level "simulator time" at Redbird or one of the other pilot training schools.

When this is finalized expect a great experience and a HUGE increase in the cost. Thanks, sim community, for paying us to get this going!

Do you have links to those articles? Are you sure they weren't simply talking about the possibility of there being a commercial version in the future, rather than this being some underhanded ploy to finance it? So far from everything I have read, I highly doubt this is what Microsoft is up to. Every interview, presentation and article I have seen or read seem to be pretty clear on this being a home entertainment focused sim. I do think it's highly likely they will go for a commercial version at some point, especially if the demand is there (and it likely will be), but MSFS itself is very much a sim for the home entertainment user. If/when they do release a professional version, I would expect it to be setup the same way they did before with having FSX for the entertainment crowd and ESP for the commercial side.

Thanks, Loki

I recall 2 articles, one in Flying Magazine, the other I think was in Smithsonian Air and Space. I don't have specific references. Sorry. I think they were around the time MSFS 2020 came out. They definitely implied, as I recall, a desktop sim for aviators was the eventual goal. I hope you are right. The cynicism concerning an underhanded ploy is ALL mine, I'm afraid! Listen not to old Luddites!

Thanks, Loki

I recall 2 articles, one in Flying Magazine, the other I think was in Smithsonian Air and Space. I don't have specific references. Sorry. I think they were around the time MSFS 2020 came out. They definitely implied, as I recall, a desktop sim for aviators was the eventual goal. I hope you are right. The cynicism concerning an underhanded ploy is ALL mine, I'm afraid! Listen not to old Luddites!

In this case, I think the cynicism is misplaced. There would be no benefit to Microsoft to drop the home entertainment version of the sim if/when a commercial version is released. It would make far more sense to go with the plan they had with FSX and ESP. Microsoft in general has plenty of products where there are separate home and professional/enterprise level editions.