MS has charged me for Xbox!

This is the latest of a series of shambolic actions by Microsoft.

A few days ago I went through the Xbox hoops to get my MSFS to update. Today I have found that MS have charged me an annual subscription to Xbox. £43.20! - for what??

I do not have Xbox, and I do not want Xbox - so why the charge? My MSFS is computer based as it has been from the start.

Microsoft, aide and abetted, by Asobo, has gone completely downhill in my opinion.

Has anyone else been treated like this?

Frank

Today I have found that MS have charged me an annual subscription to Xbox. £43.20! - for what??

If you bought MSFS through Xbox Game Pass for £1 and didn't cancel the subscription in time, the £43.20 is your annual Game Pass subscription. There are full instructions on how to cancel it here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-cancel-xbox-game-pass-pc#:~:text=%20How%20to%20cancel%20your%20Xbox%20Game%20Pass,billing.%20Both%20have%20the%20same%20effect.%20More%20

You'll then have to buy MSFS outright from either MS Store or Steam.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you for that link Tim, but I haven't made my position clear.

I bought the Premier de luxe edition from Microsoft on 8th August 2020. The updating process always went smoothly (for me, anyway) until the Xbox release. Then the trouble started. Something I did to get up and running again must have triggered the charge by MSFT.

I repeat - I do not want Xbox.

Frank

Have you already tried the obvious, namely talking to Microsoft Customer Support?

Here is a link to their numbers -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/contact-microsoft-store-support-4f615f2a-6bbd-fd69-6695-ae213d63eef0

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Hi Frank, hope you get it sorted.

One thing though.. the Xbox brand is for PC titles as well as the actual Xbox console. I don’t have an Xbox either, but I still have the Xbox app installed. I believe you have to have the Xbox app now, to update the sim. You shouldn’t be charged anything for it though.

Good luck

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Something I did to get up and running again must have triggered the charge by MSFT.

I repeat - I do not want Xbox.

It's very easy to cancel the subscription, you can do that at your own PC: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-cancel-xbox-game-pass-pc#:~:text=%20How%20to%20cancel%20your%20Xbox%20Game%20Pass,billing.%20Both%20have%20the%20same%20effect.%20More%20

Getting your £43.20 refunded is another matter and you'll need to call one of the numbers in chicagorandy's link.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

A few days ago I went through the Xbox hoops to get my MSFS to update. Today I have found that MS have charged me an annual subscription to Xbox. £43.20! - for what??

I do not have Xbox, and I do not want Xbox - so why the charge? My MSFS is computer based as it has been from the start.

Microsoft, aide and abetted, by Asobo, has gone completely downhill in my opinion.

Frank

Once again, it becomes evident how unfortunate has been for us PC Users to be forced to cross-playing with XBox users since Sim Update 5, and this time I'm not meaning the lots of things such update broke in the sim, in order to make it XBox compatible.

SU5 was a nightmare for PC users of MSFS, which better had never happened.

Edited by danbiosca
Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

No way.

Hmmm - Does your sim run without it?

Frank

sympathies, Frank. I gave up........I'm back on FSX

Yes, maybe so. Just to be sure, with the MS Store version the Xbox App doesn't need to be open or running, just installed - have you uninstalled the Xbox App and your Steam version runs without it?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Yes, maybe so. Just to be sure, with the MS Store version the Xbox App doesn't need to be open or running, just installed - have you uninstalled the Xbox App and your Steam version runs without it?

Actually never installed It.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Well no-one else has really, it's a default Windows 10 app so it's already installed with Windows 10 until you uninstall it.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Well no-one else has really, it's a default Windows 10 app so it's already installed with Windows 10 until you uninstall it.

On 2nd check, you're right. My apologies :rolleyes:

On 2nd check, you're right. My apologies :rolleyes:

No problem! Microsoft can be sneaky with some of their apps...

- have you uninstalled the Xbox App and your Steam version runs without it?

I uninstalled Xbox long ago and I've never had any problems running the sim on PC. Purchased through Steam.

Mike

Windows 10 Home 64bit / Intel i7-8700, 6 Core, 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM DDR 4 / GTX 1080 OC / SSD(2) / 27" 165 Hz 1440p Monitor / Internet 805 Mbps down, 24 Mbps up

I uninstalled Xbox long ago and I've never had any problems running the sim on PC. Purchased through Steam.

Thanks for the confirmation Mike, that's good to know.

Thank all of you who have responded to this post.

I phoned MS Customer Services and received excellent help from a guy called Jay (in India?).

After checking that there was no MS record of my having made the subscription, he gave me a multi digit reference number and advised me to contact Mastercard through my bank, and tell them I had not authorised the debit, and ask them to recover from MS quoting that number.

The refund has now been made.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the update. That is excellent news!

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Excellent news - thnks for the update!

Happy flying.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx