Fastest jet on MSFS?

sfojimbo:

There is such a thing (as a UFO) it's called the drone.

Yep

The drone will travel at 10,000 miles per second and go to earth orbit altitudes; it has unlimited fuel and remains invisible all the while. If that isn't a UFO simulator, I don't know what would be.

Actually, you're right. I misread. I read "a drone" instead of "the drone".

I stand corrected. [emoji4]

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Oh, no doubt!

I think what were saying is that MOST of what you'd fly in FS probably flies very close to the real item... it's just that fighter jets seem to be difficult to program the dynamics for in FS, because they kind of are beasts that are quite different from nearly all other planes. If a good solid dev team is making a fighter that you love, take the jump and the good team will probably deliver a quality product.

It's the less or low experienced dev, trying to take on a fighter, with limited understanding of how fighters actually fly, and how to make it fly like the real fighter in MSFS, that's where you see "risk" in whether you get a fighter that even flies somewhat like a fighter, or if it just flies fast and "weird"!

As the core simulation improves, this may become easier for low experience devs to create a fairly reallistic flying fighter... maybe.

I absolutely agree. Very well written.

But I don't think one can have this fidelity in MSFS currently. But you have it in other sims. But of course, in those other sims, you don't get to travel around the world. [emoji4]

So, to my original point, why would one pay top dollars for a module that doesn't have the fidelity just to zip around. When one had the drone view for free?

Well, actually I don't really care. I have bought one module for MSFS. The MB-339. That's only a place holder why I wait for it, the "real" fidelity version, to be released in another sim. [emoji4] You can even have a version of it now, totally free. But you cannot zip around the world yet. [emoji6]

Guest arnold09
I thought I heard recently of a Blackbird SR-71 project for MSFS, that should be good for Mach 3+ at 80k agl

I know I've heard of at least one Concorde project too, those cruise at Mach 2+

Someone released F-104 Starfighter development screenshots too, that's pretty fast fighter.

Haven't seen anything announced, but F-4 Phantoms have speed too, Operation Sageburner did insane speeds for a record, at 50ft agl. Similarly, though not announced, I think eventually someone will make a B-58 Hustler for MSFS, and it too was a speed demon at low level and high levels.

Back in FS2004 days, I flew the Blackbird a fair bit on long flights, and found that my computer could only keep up by loading ground textures in a small circle directly below the jet, as it was just too fast covering ground for the hard drive to keep loading fast enough and render it fully! But it was fun doing such fast and long distance flights, then plunge down for a long descent to a rainy runway in England at Lakenheath ... I did missions to Kola peninsula, missions across the Med, to Egypt and Damascus, missions to China and Vietnam from Kadena in Japan... basically I did a bit of research about real missions that were unclassified, and built flights that resembled them, or from fictional situations.

One flight I hadn't paid enough attention to fuel remaining... and suddenly realised I probably did not have enough fuel to land... so when throttling back to descend, I brought them to idle, then shut one engine down... restarted that engine at maybe 7000ft for final approach, still on idle, trying to glide it in like a Space Shuttle. Fun times!

thanks for sharing your thoughts ...mach 3+ is so fast. happy to hear a nice suggestion of plane with 3000+ speed .Kinemaster Lite

Don't overlook the Concorde either... it's a handful, it is a civil air transport, it's a fantastic symbol of amazing French/British cooperation on a very complex project... and is popular enough in civil flight sims that there have been many payware and freeware versions made for all the previous sims. We just have to wait a little while before the first new versions for MSFS come out!

4 afterburners, a nose that is sharp like a missile or rocket but rotates downward for landing... elegant and graceful at cruise speed of Mach 2.2, and looking like a Hawk or Eagle about to grab a meal when it's landing... high approach speeds, and some of the most exotic locations on earth!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde

Hong Kong's Kai Tak airport (closed 25 years ago?) had a mountain range that you had to fly alongside, then do a 30 degree banking turn on short final... that was difficult for any pilot of an airliner... see vids of 747's wrecking engines because one wing struck the ground... yet the Concorde did fly that same airport too on afew occasions, and that would have been SUPER tricky for that kind of airframe!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Tak_Airport

For users of Flight Simulation Software, virtual ICAO code VHHX or VHXX are used to represent Kai Tak when Kai Tak and Chek Lap Kok coexist.

The Blackbird SR-71 is being developed by Milviz, see a screen and announcement:

https://fselite.net/previews/milviz-teases-blackbird-sr-71-for-msfs/

And Concorde by DC Designs. Please note that DC Designs is the same crew that made the F-14 Tomcat for MSFS2020:

https://fselite.net/news/dc-designs-concorde-is-looking-shiny-in-msfs/

Edited by Herc79

thanks for the warning I flew the Concorde in fs2004 but it was always a pain to fly back then....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

So I only flew a Concorde that was pretty simple, systems wise, in FS. I believe that the MS Default Concorde in FS2000 and a few other MS versions, required managing the fuel levels in different tanks, to precisely tune the balance of the aircraft, and in that way I guess reduces drag and atmospheric heating, probably also improves speed and fuel economy. But if the fuel balance was off significantly, it would be very difficult to even climb to altitude and get a proper cruise speed.

If I remember properly, I think the MS default version had the ability for virtual pilots to manually manage the fuel balances... but that there was a button or function that basically had a "auto balance" function. I have no idea if the real deal had an "automatic" function or not, think it was meant as a cheat to let n00b pilots fly "the really fast jet"! But if it was left on manual, and you didn't manage it well... "yer gonna have a bad time!"

I've no idea of what DC Designs will make for us.

Max MSFS Altitude for F22A Raptor = 113,590 Ft AGL.

Anyone gone Higher?

Edited by Gpurg
AMD Ryzen-7, 4800H, 4th Gen Radeon Graphics 2.90 - 32GB DDR4 - 512GB SSD Boot, 1TB HD, 1TB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB - ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Dedicated Gaming Laptop - Windows 10 Home - 55" Samsung 1920 x 1080 - MSFS Settings on High and Many on Ultra, with no jitter or lag. HOTAS Control - Std Logitech X52.

113k ft ?!?!! That's REALLY high for any fighter! I know NASA managed to "aquire" an F-104 Starfighter, and it got a little higher... but they did so only after turning it into 10% spacecraft, when they added a rocket engine, then added Reaction Conrol Systems to maneuver with no airflow... for research of course, I'm sure the NASA test pilots weren't having any fun in that beast... LOL!!

See the details and pics here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_NF-104A

113k ft ?!?!! That's REALLY high for any fighter!

Yea, that's so high that it actually is a bug in the sim. An F-22 can't go above above 65 -70,000 feet, and if it did it wouldn't come back in one piece.

The air is too thin for the control surfaces to maintain control above that altitude. As you point out, the 104's that NASA used had hydrogen peroxide thrusters to control yaw, pitch and roll. But the engines would also flame out above 80,000 ft, so the NASA 104's had rocket engines attached.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

• 2 weeks later...

So there's more info about the DC Designs Concorde:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dc-designs-aerospatiale-bac-concorde/453230/12

The dev says:

The DC Designs Concorde is not study level, but it also isn’t all that far off it and is far more complex than the aircraft I would normally release. It was very popular in FSX and Prepar3D. Fuel-transfer for pitch trim control, super-cruise, altitude step requirements for cruise climb and many other features unique to Concorde are present and correct, and the flight model is by an expert of long standing at Just Flight who is responsible for many of their aircraft. An INS will hopefully be active this time around, and full autopilot of course for those ILS landings, along with a fully functional engineer station as it was in Prepar3D ( although possibly with more systems active ).

More details will be announced on Friday on my Facebook page. There is a lot to do to bring Concorde up to full MSFS standard, but the project is well underway

>>

It’s very much as you state really: for instance, the requirement to manually transfer fuel ever forwards to maintain proper CoG is present and affects the aerodynamics correctly. However, I also include an “auto” switch that will transfer the fuel for you, in case of interruptions to the flight ( phone call, knock at the door etc ) so that you have it covered and can leave the aircraft. The step climb sequence must be followed by-the-book or she’ll never make Mach 2, and even then just like the real airplane, the DCD Concorde only really reaches maximum performance in the later stages of the flight ( max alt, max velocity ). Having to think about slowing down when you’re still 200 nautical miles from your destination definitely gets your attention :slight_smile:

The INS I am hoping will be active, and CodenameJack’s immense efforts with autopilot in the F-15s and F-14s will be coming to the aircraft so there will be reliable ILS, VNAV and other features included.

To be honest, I’m immensely excited to be working on Concorde. It’s almost two years since the original release, and I can see so much that can be improved across all fronts with what I’ve learned in the time since, and of course the amazing simulator we now have. If I can hit the spot in the same way the Tomcats have hit the mark for fighter aircraft fans, I’ll be happy.

DEAN01973

Hmm... so FSX expansion came with the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C.

And now MSFS comes with the Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet, AKA "Rhino".

The most obvious visual differences are the air intakes are round on the old one, and the new one is like a parallelogram, or flat sharp edges. Another visual difference is the leading edge extension (LEX) is much larger/wider, and the wings have two extra pylons on the larger wing. In the cockpit the most obvious change is the "up front control panel" on the old one used buttons, while the new Superbug has a touchscreen display.

Basically, the Super is more of the same but about 20% more. A bit more power, bit more weight, bit more payload, bit more range... The USNavy was apparently happy with the Hornet in general, and so it wanted the same but "more", and got it! Was it revolutionary? No, not at all, but it does things well for the USN and other air forces, so it's sold quite wel.

I will never understand the fun in using a fighter plane in a non-shooting flight simulator.

It's like shaking hands with gloves.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Yes, I agree that it's a bug, but was just doing an Alt check, and managed to get it that high. The F-15 came right out almost exactly on the correct Max Alt number. Thought it was an interesting challenge anyway. (before they fix it...:))
AMD Ryzen-7, 4800H, 4th Gen Radeon Graphics 2.90 - 32GB DDR4 - 512GB SSD Boot, 1TB HD, 1TB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB - ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Dedicated Gaming Laptop - Windows 10 Home - 55" Samsung 1920 x 1080 - MSFS Settings on High and Many on Ultra, with no jitter or lag. HOTAS Control - Std Logitech X52.

I will never understand the fun in using a fighter plane in a non-shooting flight simulator.

It's like shaking hands with gloves.

Well, if there any real fidelity in the avionics etc, I wood actually understand it from an interest to learn the non weapons systems/navigation in the whole world with quite nice graphics.

Now, I have actually bought the MB-339, but that's just a placeholder until they release the real module in DCS, and in support of India Fox Techo of course. [emoji4]

But I haven't really checked out it's capabilities in MSFS yet. (Noticed I can't seem to turn NWS off) . DCS is just so much more fun. Next year maybe, with real support for helicopters.