I am using Steam FS2020 for the first time and am overwhelmed from the start. I'm used to FX10 where I just pick out my aircraft and fly. Now there seems an unending series of actions I must take, though the screens are pretty. Is there an instruction manual that will tell me what I must do from the time of opening FS2020 for the first time? I'm old and need some handholding. Thank you.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Hi Jim, welcome to the best flight simulator ever :) As you have noticed though, it is completely different from FSX and all the previous ones.

I recommend you check out some tutorials on YouTube. There are some excellent ones by someone who calls himself “Squirrel”

This is his first tutorial….

Hope it helps

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

As Steve brought out, You Tube is your friend! There are a LOT of video's about MSFS, how to do certain things etc. I have learned a lot by watching them.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Thank you guys. I'll do that.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I see several FS2020 manuals on Amazon. I need one to help me set up my flight controllers. Can you recommend one?

I see several FS2020 manuals on Amazon. I need one to help me set up my flight controllers. Can you recommend one?

I would actually try You Tube first. Put in what type of controller you have, add MSFS 2020 and see what you can find. Better then spending $$$ when you may not have too.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Agree - a nice FREE YouTube MSFS education saves yer $$ to buy more airplanes down the road. Once you set up a few flight controls it will seem easy.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I used You Tube as you suggested and managed to set up my controls except for my Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel. I see it at the top of my screen identified as such. But when I try to set it up and start scanning nothing happens: it does not see the trim wheel when I spin it.

Also, I cannot get directly to the Welcome Screen. I must endure long views of a stone wall with a blue progress line at the bottom going very slowly and world updates etc. before finally getting to the Welcome Screen. Can I do something to get directly to the Welcome Screen? Thank you for your patience.

I used You Tube as you suggested and managed to set up my controls except for my Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel. I see it at the top of my screen identified as such. But when I try to set it up and start scanning nothing happens: it does not see the trim wheel when I spin it.

Also, I cannot get directly to the Welcome Screen. I must endure long views of a stone wall with a blue progress line at the bottom going very slowly and world updates etc. before finally getting to the Welcome Screen. Can I do something to get directly to the Welcome Screen? Thank you for your patience.

I can help with your Welcome screen question. Short answer, no :(

A lot of peeps start the loading process, then go make some coffee, tea, beer, wine, whiskey (and perhaps a song) and when they return 3-4 minutes later, they are ready to fly :D

Hey Dave, I haven't flown the FS2020 yet but am not thrilled with it except for the graphics. I'm glad I still have FSX to fall back on. I still have to learn how to make flight plans, etc. with it. So far everything is more complicated. Now to learn how to solve my trim wheel problem...

Aggravating. Thanks Dave.

Guest Robert455
@Davidc2 - there actually is a way to remove the animations/splashes at FS2020 load. I don’t know the exact procedure on the Microsoft store version, but on Steam you can add arguments to the program launch command. Just add -FastLaunch and you shouldn’t see them any more. It gets reset occasionally when there are updates, but when you see them again, just add it back again.

Try this..

Right click on the desktop, and create a new shortcut.

In the box, type…

cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App "-FastLaunch"

click Next and name your new shortcut.. msfs fastlunch, or whatever you want.

It works for me, although I’m not sure it launches any quicker (I haven’t timed it)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Try this..

Right click on the desktop, and create a new shortcut.

In the box, type…

cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App "-FastLaunch"

click Next and name your new shortcut.. msfs fastlunch, or whatever you want.

It works for me, although I’m not sure it launches any quicker (I haven’t timed it)

Regards

Steve

Just tried that out Steve, it did work for me, however, it did not shorten the load time, was around 2:45

Just tried that out Steve, it did work for me, however, it did not shorten the load time, was around 2:45

MSFS is slow to load, no doubt about. Takes longer than almost any other software on my PC. Start it and go get the cup of coffee. If you have it on a fast SSD drive it gets a bit faster but still about 2 minutes, I do highly recommend a PC with an m.2 disk as it speeds up everything.

I agree after testing it.. although the sim loads, it doesn’t load any quicker.

However, today mine seems to be loading quicker than usual for some reason and the sim is running well too. I think a lot of it must be down to the MS servers.

Regards

Steve

MSFS is slow to load, no doubt about. Takes longer than almost any other software on my PC. Start it and go get the cup of coffee. If you have it on a fast SSD drive it gets a bit faster but still about 2 minutes, I do highly recommend a PC with an m.2 disk as it speeds up everything.

Checked with a stopwatch just now. 1 minute and 59 seconds to load.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.