Latest mandatory update

Once again we are forced into the insanity of a mandatory update and referred to the STORE, then to XBox which only recognized me after I took Tim Wright's advice and rebooted my PC before going back to the Xbox app which then recognized me. Then you get the first stage update and MSFS opens and does the actual update. This should all be done inside MSFS2020 on startup. I really do not need a ticket from London to Paris via New York, Mexico City, Beijing, Canberra, Rome, New Delhi and then maybe Paris

This total garbage that we have to go through such shenanigans to get an update. Asobo need to completely work this out.:mad::mad::rolleyes:

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

Glad to help, and relieved that at it worked at least!

Updates like this on Xbox are completely automatic, just switch on and the sim updates without being launched. No freezes or loops, it's utterly painless.

PC is stuck with MS Store, which is a royal pain when updating ANY game apparently, but the good news is that Windows 11 has a new MS Store app and will be released on October 5.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tim, I have seen a couple of your responses to software related issues and I wonder if you might assist me with one I am having since installing 2020-6. I flew a short flight and my computer crashed. I went to restart and I got the message that I had possibly downloaded 3rd party software which i had not but prompted me to start in safe or normal mode. I have tried both modes and each sends me to a notification that I have an xbox error code (0x80004005) and I should try again later. The error code instructs me to reboot my xbox console which i dont have as I am running on a PC. I get no assistance from xbox or MS store. I have de and reinstalled both programs. If you can help I would be grateful and no worries if you cant. Best Carl

Tim, I have seen a couple of your responses to software related issues and I wonder if you might assist me with one I am having since installing 2020-6. I flew a short flight and my computer crashed. I went to restart and I got the message that I had possibly downloaded 3rd party software which i had not but prompted me to start in safe or normal mode. I have tried both modes and each sends me to a notification that I have an xbox error code (0x80004005) and I should try again later. The error code instructs me to reboot my xbox console which i dont have as I am running on a PC. I get no assistance from xbox or MS store. I have de and reinstalled both programs. If you can help I would be grateful and no worries if you cant. Best Carl

Hi Carl, error 0x80004005 is a Windows Update error code, try running this script as an Administrator and check if it fixes the problem:

http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2015/03/Batch_File_to_Reset_Windows_Update.zip

If it does, download any and all available Windows Updates and MS Store Updates before attempting to launch MSFS again.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I am THANKFULLY now updated. Yes, like everyone else I had to first jump through the various flaming XBox hoops and I likely have an aftermarket plane that is not yet updated, but I test flew my store-bought Zenith without issues out of Midway Airport.

YES, YES a thousand times YES, this flight sim SHOULD simply update its own darn self when you fire it up. I do NOT understand why it doesn't as it can't be all that complicated a nodule of programming to do so? But I ain't no game programmer ner nuthin'.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Once again we are forced into the insanity of a mandatory update and referred to the STORE, then to XBox which only recognized me after I took Tim Wright's advice and rebooted my PC before going back to the Xbox app which then recognized me. Then you get the first stage update and MSFS opens and does the actual update. This should all be done inside MSFS2020 on startup. I really do not need a ticket from London to Paris via New York, Mexico City, Beijing, Canberra, Rome, New Delhi and then maybe Paris

This total garbage that we have to go through such shenanigans to get an update. Asobo need to completely work this out.

I totaly agree. It took me 2 days to figure out the last update from last week, but finally found the solution here. Finally had things running smoothly again, and now I'm grounded. Again. I have been playing Flt Sim since the Tandy1000, (dates me, right?), have played every release since, however, even tho this version is excellent in scenery and airports, I think that Asobo, Microsoft, and Xbox need to get over themselves with the difficulty in releasing updates thru their multiple websites so that they can advertise all the other products they have available. IF they want to continue to do this, then maybe they should provide a clear path to the "update". More simply put, and has already been suggested in several other posts, just attach the UPDATE to the FltSim game, with an automatic update upon opening. Simple. Even us "Old Farts" can manage that. Just sayin' .........

Yep. I've had this sim three weeks now this weekend. I just completed a CJ4 flight which logs a total of 32.4 hours. I've spent about 25% of those hours JUST getting the sim to launch which has involved all these MANDATORY updates. What a hot mess. I will say that most of us are getting real good at being the space monkey experimenters and an advisor to others on how how to get the sim going after every MANDATORY update. I waited a full year before jumping on board and we're still here. Unbelieveable. When it runs, it runs great. When Asobo updates, grab a cup of coffee...or a few beers...depending on what time of day you plan on spending an hour fixing things.

All that said, if you want your thoughts read by that team, post your experiences on the official MSFS forum. They may not respond to your rant, but they sure read it.

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

The other thing that irks me is the long time it takes from clicking the "play" icon to start the game and something appearing on the screen for the first time (about 36 seconds for me despite having a fast SSD). Often I click two or three times and the game starts two or three instances with a warning box (unknowingly) remaining in the background. If I then get the prompt for an update, the store app simply wouldn't update and it is only when I close everything that I discover the little box saying "another instance is running already". Close that down and I can proceed with the update. This update system of MSFS is utterly clumsy and frustrating and I hope it is high on the priority list to fix. Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

I found that today's update was only 5K in size. Very confused.

What is the version number suppose to be?

Edit-went to take a quick flight this morning, had a 500 meg update waiting, lol

Edited by davidc2
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

There’s also a third part of this update.. if you go into the content manager there’d a 10.5gig update for world update 6

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

The other thing that irks me is the long time it takes from clicking the "play" icon to start the game and something appearing on the screen...

I had this annoyance too. If you get FSUIPC 7, at the very least you will immediately get a start up screen (AKA Splash screen) letting you know you initiated it (like every game ever made does, except for MSFS!)

You can also get this batch file to add your own custom startup screen...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/a-simple-splash-screen-after-starting-msfs/284716

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I found that today's update was only 5K in size. Very confused.

What is the version number suppose to be?

Edit-went to take a quick flight this morning, had a 500 meg update waiting, lol

Yep same thing happened to me. been fighting for the last 3 days with not being to dnld the update because of that 0x80004005 error ,

This morning gave it another try . Got the 5 k update . Then went to content manager and dnlded the 500meg update . Not sure what this update included. Does anyone know?

Likewise. Back to FSX. They should have separate pages, starting with the marketplace. Every update brings new issues and makes more complicate to start a single free flight.

On the other hand, don´t fill us with third parties expensive developments. With a couple more airliners as part of the bundle it would be enough. How many pilots out there are certified in more than one or two different airplanes?

Bst rgds

Edited by bjl345
incomplete

It’s a shame you feel that way. I’ll admit even I have had the occasional problems, including with updating.. but it’s still worth it. I could never go back to FSX.

MSFS certainly simulates flight for me. I actually get the feeling of being airborne..but then the VR headset helps with that.

Even without VR, MSFS is groundbreaking in that you can tour the world..see the sights.. in a vast amount of different aircraft.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

yea, it it still an awe inspiring simulator. After 3200 hrs of real world flying, this is the closest I get to being back in the air now that I am grounded. I even do not have VR yet, but lots of instrument panels and honeycomb yoke. Oh and LNMP of course plus navigraph, to try and get good IFR practice. I do have some issues with the flight plans not coordinating but that is part of the fun. I won't give up on it. Might go broke with add-ons and I really wish they would make the updates easier to install. Maybe hire ORBX or Blackbox to sort out the updating methods.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

All the above discussions/complaints sound like an advertisement for Steam. I purchased and installed FS2020 from Steam, and all updates have run automatically and without any problems whatsoever, except for having to move stuff away from the installation SSD to make sure there was enough space available.

Tim, well I tried your suggestions to the letter and still get the same error code message. Very frustrating to say the least. I appreciate your efforts. Carl

Maybe the "reboot your Xbox console" message relates to the Xbox App on your PC? Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing it?