Install Reinstall steps FSX boxed edition (Gold)

dlfrenchmd

Recently hard drive crashed and it took me days to gather all the info and about 7 reinstalls to finally find a method that works. This works for me now twice-no problem. It is for FSX plus Acceleration Gold boxed edition. May tweak for others.

FSX REINSTALLATION of Gold Edition out of the box with Product Keys.

1. CLEAN UNINSTALL FSX.

a. UNINSTALL Acceleration from the Apps/uninstall on computer

b. UNINSTALL FSX from computer apps or from the disc 1.

c. CLOSE/REOPEN Program Uninstall and make sure all FSX components are gone.

d. Go to C:\Program Files (86x)\Microsoft Games\ Microsoft Flight Simulator and delete this folder or whatever drive you had it on.

e. Go to C:\Users\YOUR NAME and delete any fsx material. OF COURSE SAVE in another folder all FSX stuff you want to put back in later!

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REINSTALL FSX:

2. Reset the license key (Cause of Error 1603)

a. Make sure MSKB928080 is installed to C: drive root folder. You can download it from the web (but not Microsoft of course)

b. Run the following as administrator

b. Open cmd prompt from start menu and "run as administrator"

c. Type "cd C:\ " then hit enter (NO QUOTES. I'm putting those in to clarify what to type. No quotes unless I say to put them in.)

d. Type cd MicrosoftKB928080 and hit enter

e. Type "resetsldl -All " and hit enter. NOTE: there is a space between ldl and -

Should get message that success in token store reset.

3. Reset Windows Installer (Cause of Error 1722)

a. Click Start, Click Run and type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b. Double-click Windows Installer.

c. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.

d. Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any. Click OK.

((Method 2 [i never had to use this]: Reregister the Windows Installer. Follow these steps for the same.

a. Quit all Windows programs.

b. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /unregister” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK.

c. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /regserver” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK. Restart your computer. ))

3. Install FSX to D:\FSX (a NEW folder completely) where D=whatever drive you will use. Create the new folder. DON"T install to Program x86 folder.

Place FSX install CD in drive and open\run the setup as Administrator

After Disc 2 complete, start FSX. I initiated the default flight to make sure it worked.

4. Close FSX and REBOOT computer

5. Go to FSX folder you just installed, right click Properties/ security and allow all permissions. I included the "Users" category.

6. REBOOT computer

7. Open as Administrator

8. In START \RUN\Services.msc\Windows Installer Start it again if not running (as above)

9. Install FSX Acceleration. It already contains SP1 and SP2 so don't have to download/ install those

10. ERROR CODE 1-80004005 comes up on starting FSX. If you click "Yes to online query", it starts up, but only gives you the trial version.

To Fix, you have to change the registry.

Registry Disclaimer:

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

EASIEST METHOD to back up: Create a System Restore Point before going any further

NEXT, edit the registry:

a. Click Start and type regedit in the search bar and press enter.

b. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967- E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

c. Find Upperfilters listed under it, and check its value, if its 0 change it to PartMgr and click OK. Mine said partmgr (lower case) so I switched it to PartMgr

d. Restart FSX. Should get Activation screen. Choose "Activate Now" and enter Product Key.

Close, reboot, and restart FSX to be safe.

Hello and thanks for this information all in one place. I had to reformat my system recently to get MSFS2020 to reinstall. (but that is another story!) The upshot of that was that I had to reinstall FSX and FS9 too. I also used the FSX Gold Edition with the Acceleration Pack. I had to reset the licence key with the reset tool, tricky to do but I got it in the end. Then the Acceleration Pack with the registry fix.

Apparently this is a Windows 10 issue as I never had to do these steps using Windows XP. Good to have all this info together, happy flying.

I have never succeeded in a reinstall of FSX Gold, on the same (Windows 7) system where first installed, once I installed the download for Microsoft Flight. Authentication is the issue, FSX starts up in trial mode, asks me to go to authentication, where it fails. Ultimately I went to FSX Steam Edition, which has its own quirks, but installs on Windows 10, with few troubles, at least for me.

My first experience with FSX was Widows 7, never tried it on XP. On XP (and my first Windows 7 machines) FS9 was my flight simulator choice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

regedit

• as administrator

• Hkey_Local_machine

• system

• current control set

• control

• class

• find the string:

4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318

and double click on it.

• Go to the right: upper filters and double click on it

• a screen opens on the left and value data should read: written like this:

PartMgr (so 2x a capital letter)

• 4 months later...

Hi. I have a Windows 10 pc, fully updated.

After quite a few years gone from FsX I had an itch to have a new look at it.

I installed FsX and then Acceleration (Gold Edition) without problems, well until I went looking for the fsx.cfg file. I csn't find it anywhere. I went to all places that I can think of, without success. I now realize how muvh Windows 10 has changed since I left FsX. Can you help me, I'm growing old (87)

Hi,

You will find the .cfg file at:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Mircrosoft\FSX

The bit is the name of the account you use PC - at the same location you will generally find other default accounts such as one named Default and one named Public...

Once you have located the file you can create a shortcut for it to find it more easily - simply RIGHT click on the .cfg file (this will open a list of options), Select Send To > Desktop (Create Shortcut) - this will them place a shortcut to the file on your desktop....

Regards

Brian

Tanks. I did go to the route that you advised, but nothing found.

It now seems that my FsX is not fully registered, although I did register online and received a message that my FsX is now registered and ready for use.

Any advice, please?

I uninstalled Acceleration (because it never asked me for the separate registration, which I have) and then I restarted and ran FsX. This time the Error code did not appear, so I assume every thing is now OK.

Now just to find the fsx.cfg, because There is no AppData. Still searching.

In WIN10 it's in User\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\.... Maybe you have to enable show: Hidden/System files first. Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hi,

As it is a default windows folder it will be there....but it is probably 'hidden'...

The easy way to determine this and then change its status is as follows....

1. Go to C:\Users\

2. Select the View tab from the menu options at top left of the window

3. Within the Show/Hide options click on the Hidden Items option - this should now display all of the hidden Folder/Files within the folder - they will appear as faded items..

If you wish to make any of the hidden items totally unhidden you can right click on it and select Properties from the resulting menu...at the bottom of the General page under Attributes you will see a item marked Hidden with a tick in a box next to it...click on the box to remove the tick and then click on the Apply button....

Regards

Brian