HELP! sign in Windows 10 as user.

ColR1948

I had to sign in as Admin to install a program in Windows 10, after a bit of a faff I managed it but now I can't find the option to sign in as user again.

I googled it but for some reason the option isn't showing the page in Win10 isn't very helpful, why do they make things awkward instead of a simple sign in option?

Any help appreciated, I can't access my programs and my original desktop, what a pain Win10 is.

!!! Ignore sorted it.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Hi Col,

A number of options exist depending on the installation type:

Via a CD/DVD - you will need to stop the autoplay feature - this GUIDE tells you how. Once you have stop autoplay you can then browse the CD/DVD and find the install executable file - normally they have a .exe, .bat or .msi extension. you can then use the next method described...

Via a executable file - DO NOT double click on the file but RIGHT click on it and select Run as Admin from the resulting list...

After installing if you want to run an app with admin rights you have two options depending on how you start the app....

Via the Windows Start Menu, directly from within the app folder or via a desktop shortcut - right click on the and select the Run as administrator option from the resulting list - note though that if you do it via the Windows Start Menu link the resulting menu is restricted to 3 set items and the Run as Admin option is under More option...

This option offers a 'permanent' solution to always start the app with admin rights BUT can only be set on a desktop shortcut OR the directly on the .exe file itself. Simply right click on the shortcut or .exe file and select properties from the resulting list. A new info pane will open. Click on the Compatibility tab and then select the Run this program as an administrator option. Click Apply to save the change.

The above options should meet your needs but another option that you could use, if you feel comfortable with it, is to either create a second user account that has full admin rights, which you would log onto to install new apps - you will need to remember to check the setting when using this method so that any app you install is available to all users and not just the Admin account.

Or you could change the current account you use to a admin account...there are some pros and cons to this approach regarding possible security issues to be aware of - google is a good source of info - but I know many people who use this method and I also do...

Regards

Brian

Hi Bri, I have had a few issues changing hard drives from Win7 32bit to a Win10 64bit. I'm not used to Win10, I'm not overly keen to be honest.

One thing I asked but got no reply is on my old HD I have Win7 as the operating system but I also have a few things on there I would like back, I know i should have got them before I took the drive out but I forgot.

I put the old drive in a caddy and connected vis USB but the PC won't open it, possibly because it has Win7 on it, I was wondering if there is a baypass or a program that will open it.

Col.

P.S. where was you when I needed you anyway lol?

Hi Col,

Understand your thoughts about Win 10 - I also didn't like it a first but have now got use to it and, for the most part, once you have worked out the new icons and location of where things are its not to bad...

A few quick Q's...

What exactly do you mean when you say the PC won't open it?...I.E.

Is the drive recognised and listed in Explorer as a drive but when you click on it it doesn't display the contents? Or does the drive not register in Explorer?

What type of drive is it - I.E. a HDD or SSD...

Regards

Brian

Hi Bri,

The drive is the one I took out that has Windows 7 32bit on it plus other things I should have saved beforehand but forgot to do.

Then I installed a new drive with a preloaded Win10, got some of my old programs on it by downloading them plus I installed FSX and X-Plane11.

I then put the drive with Win7 in an external caddy and connected via USB, it is listed in the menu where the drives are but it won't open to let me view the contents. Like I said it might be because Win7 is on it.

It is a HDD drive.

Col.