Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error message when starting FS2004

Default Error message when starting FS2004

As some of you already know I changed my main hard drive, my old one had Windows 7 32bit and I needed 64bit so I bought a pre-loaded HD with W10 64bit.

Anyway I had FS2004 on a separate HD so now when I go to start it i get the error message (Flights\other\Fltsim.Flt) then it crashes.
    So I'm presuming that file is on the main drive I took off, if so I can't access it because when I put it in a caddy and try to open it the PC won't let me, I'm guessing it is because it has an operating system loaded on it.

Any idea how rectify or is it an uninstall and re-install job?

Col.

You probably need to install FS9 on the drive to get some needed files into the OS folders.

1. Rename your current FS folder by adding TEMP to the folder name.
    2. Install FS9 using Custom Install into the original folder name in from step 1.
    3. Rename the new stock install folder by adding BACKUP to the folder name.
    4. Rename your original folder back to its original name by removing TEMP from the name.
    5. Delete the BACKUP folder if you wish.
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go.

I needed a 64bit system to run FSX with Orbx and X-Plane11, I've been busy downloading and installing Orbx scenery, I bought loads a while ago that used on my old drive that died, still got lots to download yet.

Col.

Well I tried the above advice to the letter but it didn't work, I even tried the 9.1 and the registry repair tool but they failed as well.
    I ended up uninstalling both copies. I'm still busy downloading my Orbx scenery for FSX at the moment, I got lots to download so it is taking a lot of time.

Col.

I was going to suggest deleting the fs9.cfg then restarting the sim, as FS2004 will create a new cfg file on restarting.. sorry I saw this post now, after you uninstalled both copies. It would have been nice to have kept a copy. Normally, in a case of a copied install, payware addons would often need to be reinstalled, as they stick stuff into the PC's registry.

Also, if there was a payware plane set up as in the startup flight, there could have been a problem, as the PC's registry is normally not able to read a freshly copied sim with a payware plane as a start flight.

By the way, without the FS9.1 patch & update, the sim WILL crash in Windows 10. Also the sim must not be installed in it's default Program Files folder.
    Last edited by zswobbie1; 09-15-2021 at 04:04 AM.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Robin, Yes I had it installed on a separate drive, always do, I'm new to W10 as well, being honest I'm not keen on it.
    Already I'm doing Google and YouTube searches to find things out, to me a lot of these things are like the old saying, 'Why fix it if it isn't broke'

I have an external HD with a copy of FS2204 on that which runs OK when I plug it in via USB.

Col.

It never won't be wrong, to install a basic FS9 and and rename it afterwards. Proceeding this way all needed registries are done correctly. Furthermore it's never useless to have a correct running FS somewhere and at least rely on original files if needed.

Bernard

Hi Colonel,

why don't you Windows XP 64 bit ?

I switch very often between Windows XP 32 bit and the 64 bit Windows XP REFERRING the SAME FS9 on a seperate HD Drive.

FS2004 is ALWAYS installed on his OWN HD (actually everything is on SSD Drives for Performance reasons).

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    It never won't be wrong, to install a basic FS9 and and rename it afterwards. Proceeding this way all needed registries are done correctly. Furthermore it's never useless to have a correct running FS somewhere and at least rely on original files if needed.

Bernard
    Indeed, Bernard. true words!
    I have a complete fresh FS2004 install on a portable drive, so it's easy for me to install/reinstall. I also have 8 different unique themed installs of FS2004 on my laptop as well.

I've been using Windows 10 (Home 64bit) for many years now, without ANY issues at all, & I'll be updating to Windows 11 next month.

I'm still not sure that I understand why anyone would still run an obsolete operating system such as XP. Surely it's preferable to have an updated OS for safety & security reasons?
    In any case, an old OS is most definitely not optimized for modern day computer hardware.

Just a very basic explanation of the differences between 32bit & a 64bit OS..
    A 32bit OS can only address a total 4GB RAM, that includes your PC's RAM as well as your GPU's RAM.
    A 64bit OS does not have these limitations, so running a 32bit program, such as FS2004 in a 64bit environment is quite preferable, as the PC has more headroom to operate.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

hi,
    a 32bit system can not address 4gb

sincerely

g. kirschstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast