Manual patch from FS9.0 to FS9.1

Lissart

Like many dedicated users of FS9, I have a much modified and added to installation of my favourite sim. It is still though the unpatched, FS9.0 version. Despite all the advice on these and other forums, I have never managed to get the upgrade to complete successfully. This can only be done it seems to a clean, fresh install of FS9.0. I have been advised by a well known developer whose products require FS9.1 that the only way I get get his stuff running (which it currently does not) is to update to FS9.1. He further states that this could be done manually - if I can get hold of the patched files - by a simple copy and paste to my existing FS9.0. (Backups OF COURSE having been made!!) Could the members on this forum comment on the wisdom of this approach? I am a tad suspicious and under no circumstances do I wish to mess up my sim, leading to the necessity of a ghastly complete re-install or something. (Way too much hassle!) For reference, here is the complete list of the files that are patched by the update (please ignore the A610 bit in the file name as that is added by the backup process.):

ablscpt.A610.dll

acontain.A610.dll

ai_playr.A610.dll

atc.A610.dll

controls.A610.dll

demo.A610.dll

display.A610.cfg

dynamic.A610.dll

facilities.A610.dll

fe.A610.dll

flight.A610.dll

fs9.A610.exe

fsui.A610.dll

g2d.A610.dll

g3d.A610.dll

Generic.A610.bgl

global.A610.dll

gps.A610.dll

gps_export.A610.dll

instructor.A610.dll

main.A610.dll

mpchat.A610.dll

multiplayer.A610.dll

panels.A610.dll

reality.A610.dll

sim1.A610.dll

simscheduler.A610.dll

sound.A610.dll

symmap.A610.dll

terrain.A610.dll

traffic.A610.dll

unpatch.bak

util.A610.dll

visualfx.A610.dll

weather.A610.dll

window.A610.dll

What could possibly go wrong...? Experience would suggest that actually, quite a bit!

Cheers,

LISSART

PS: Should just add that the way to get hold of the patched files is LEGAL! By simply installing all on another machine without FS9, adding the update then transferring the files.

Edited by Lissart

I'd make a complete backup of my existing FS9 install, on the local machine, but with a different folder name (simply copy and paste everything into "FS9_backup", for example), then procede as outlined.

This way, all the original registry entries etc. are retained and if the suggested procedure is valid, it should all continue to work as normal.

If it all goes "pear-shaped", delete the modifed installation, rename the backup to the original folder name and carry on as normal … 'till the next idea comes along.

Good luck :)

The addon developer is either lazy or misinformed! :confused: Flight Simulator 98 Got two Official patches! Fs2000 Zero, Fs2002 Zero and Fs2004 Zero! The ACES Studio closed after Microsoft Released FsX!

Christopher Tarana

The developer may well be both lazy and mis-informed … but there certainly is an FS9.1 update/upgrade/patch or whatever you want to call it and it certainly resolves several issues with the original software!

It is normal practice to backup all computer files on a regular basis. I backup mine every month onto an external hard drive, which is only connected during the backup, thereby protecting files from any bugs that may creep in during day to day operations!

If I need to reinstall FS9, I then install from the CDs, which sets up the necessary files in "users" and then overwrite all the files in \FS2004 with those from the backup, so that all the add-ons are back in place. Backup, each month can take a couple of hours (lots of aircraft and lots of scenery) and a reinstall also a couple of hours, but a lot quicker, I think than trying to reinstall each scenery/aircraft from scratch.

In your situation I think I would

a) backup your current FS9

b) reinstall FS9 from CD

c) apply the FS9.1 patch

d) copy back all FS9 files EXCEPT fs9.exe

In subsequent backups the FS9.1 will be backed up along with all of your other files.

I hope that this answers your question.

The developer may well be both lazy and mis-informed … but there certainly is an FS9.1 update/upgrade/patch or whatever you want to call it and it certainly resolves several issues with the original software!

Indeed, & those patches & nocd are needed for FS2004 to work in Windows 10.

I'm not sure as to who is misinformed, but...

A service update (9.1) was released on 10 June 2004, that included over 160 bridges missing or wrongly displayed in the original version, with several other corrections and performance improvements.

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team is pleased to announce a product update for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight. In response to customer feedback and Product Support information, the update addresses performance improvements and content updates.

Update Enhancements

Addressed slow frame rates for flights repeatedly in and out of a common area. Frame rate decreases have been corrected by fixes to Autogen scenery behavior and memory allocation.

Addressed product stability issues that were due to changes of season in particular airport environments. Users will experience stable and consistent behavior when changing the time and season across any of the airports at any level of scenery detail.

Addressed additional product stability issues tied to various features throughout the product.

Addressed issues with configuration file updates to make sure all option changes are reflected during subsequent launches.

Restored support for 19 meter digital elevation data as was supported in Flight Simulator 2002.

Content Updates

The update includes over 160 bridge models to replace missing bridges. These new bridges will appear at all scenery settings of normal and higher.

Kennedy Airport (KJFK) features new autogen objects to enhance the high detailed scenery and terrain for the airport and surrounding area.

Virtual Student Pilots completing their first solo flights will correctly receive Solo Certificates for their accomplishments.

To determine if you need the Microsoft® Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (UPDATE):

Run Flight Simulator 2004.

Click Fly Now!

Press ALT to display the menu bar.

Click About Microsoft Flight Simulator on the Help menu.

Check the version number in the About Microsoft Flight Simulator dialog box. If the version number is 9.0 we recommend installing the update.

After updating, the version number for Flight Simulator 2004 will be 9.1.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

To be clear, the add-on developer is advising that I can merely copy and paste the files as per the list in my first post directly into my existing FS9.0 installation. That will give me the functionality of FS9.1 and therefore his products will work. He was unable to clarify exactly WHICH files are truly needed and WHY. I am perfectly happy with how and when to back up what I need before I start messing about and that these backups will get me out of trouble if required. The FS9.1 patch installer fails on anything but fresh, clean, out of the box installs of FS9.0. This is most likely because original FS9.0 files have been modified with the addition of add-ons and so forth from their original state. So my question is this: Will a manual, copy and paste exercise of the modded FS9.1 files into my FS9.0 actually work or not? I know I can technically perform this procedure where the installer has failed but is there something else that the installer does (registry entries...?) which copy and paste would not achieve and therefore render the exercise futile? Maybe the only way is to try it and see! (Could be a lot of valuable time wasted.....)

So my question is this: Will a manual, copy and paste exercise of the modded FS9.1 files into my FS9.0 actually work or not? I know I can technically perform this procedure where the installer has failed but is there something else that the installer does (registry entries...?) which copy and paste would not achieve and therefore render the exercise futile? Maybe the only way is to try it and see! (Could be a lot of valuable time wasted.....)

Sorry, nothing further to add.