Re-Installing FSX Question

ColR1948

I now have my new hard drive installed running Windows 10, I had FSX installed on a separate drive but because of the new drive with W10 on FSX needs a new direct X it said or run setup again.

So when I run setup it hangs, so do I uninstall FSX or is it a matter of getting direct X and installing that?

Col.

OK sorted, I ended up uninstalling and starting again, bit of a faff because part way through it I had to go on MS to install the latest direct x then start all over again.

Anyway it's on now so the next step is install my Orbx scenery, another long job.

Col.

Good to know it's now working out for you! Having said that, ORBX and some other companies have taken a lot of grief, especially lately for customer caused issues that were not their fault. Case in point your Another ORBX Downer post heading.

Now that you know You caused your problems not ORBX wouldn't it be a good idea to start a new post saying something to the effect of "I was wrong, ORBX wasn't responsible for my errors?" That heading blaming ORBX is still very current and misleading. Unless people read several more responsive posts they wouldn't know you caused your problems, not ORBX.

We need all to encourage companies like ORBX who are trying to do a good job and need cash flow to stay in business. Not take our frustration out on them for issues they didn't cause!! ;)

Just my two cents worth,

Michael

(And yes, I've been guilty of that very issue myself more than once in the past. But I now try to atone by a later posting with a more accurate heading.) :o:o

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi Micheal, I explained earlier it is caliceal saying if something goes wrong you/we say, "Aw what a downer," meaning it was a downer for the person it went wrong for.

It went wrong for me because I had 32bit system not a 64bit so it was a downer. I wanted to install my X-Plane and that too was a downer because that is 64bit only as well.

It's like if you were going to a concert that started at 9 and you got a puncture that made you late and you told me I would say, "What downer, did you miss a lot of it?" Nothing to do with the concert it was hard luck for you. Now do you understand?

Col.

Col, no matter how the mis-fortune happened, now that you have everything back in order, well, the computer part of it, you still have a lot of work getting back all your aircraft/sceneries etc! Do youself a favor, and I had to learn the hard way, get yourself a good external hardrive, do backups, I do mine twice a month! I bought mine for any misfortune that may happen, but I also find myself going back to some old backups to retrieve old aircraft that I had deleted for one reason or another, OR if I manage to bungle something with my "fat fingers," I got a "go to" to help me getting things back in order! We work very hard, put many hours into this hobby we so greatly enjoy! Protect your hard work with an external drive. Well worth the time and effort getting it set up!

JMHO, have a nice day!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Hi Rick, yes I do have a backup HD and got stuff on it. I also had all my repaints and lots of other FS stuff on another HD that I accidentally formatted and lost the lot.

I started using it again then read about programs that could bring it all back but it was too late.

I also have lots of disks with backed up stuff on and now and again I go through them and find a gem I forgot about.

Thanks for the heads up by the way, I'm still putting thigs right on this drive, still downloading my Orbx scenery I bought ages ago.

Also got my X-Plane working too.

Col.

Atta Boy Col! Be patient, take you time, you'll get it all back in order! Shame these things happen. In my case, my hardrive failed and I lost most everything as far as addons, lots of aircraft. I told myself, I am not going thru this again, so I did some research on the external hardrives and doing backups and it has given me some peace of mind!

Glad to hear you are getting your computer and programs back! Hang in there!

Rick:cool:

Ha Ha Rick, just had another Windows 10 pain.

I went to install my FSRepaint, but Win10 said no I had to do it as admin, so after a faff I found out how to login as admin, did the install, then again another faff to find out how to get back as user.

Did that go to start FSPainter and got an error EA Access violation whatever that means.

Contacted the guy at Abacus for advice, geez!

Col.