Getting past navigation training

I've been trying to finish lesson 5 of pc installed MSFS 2020. The flight from Flagstaff to Sedona. In taking off, gain altitude to 500 feet and turn to my left 90 degrees. Continue gaining altitude and turning again 90 degrees for a downwind leg past runway and turn left again 90 degrees still gaining altitude to 8500'. Turn left again to cross runway center and start clock. Pick 163 degree heading, 8500'. The box in top right corner with tasks does not list any of them being completed except elevation achieved.

Get to Munk's Golf Course in eight minutes, turn to 221 degree heading, restart the clock, head to Sedona.

As soon as the plane clears mountains, the power is cut to reduce speed to 70kph and turn right to begin setup for landing on runway 3.

Fly past runway, turn 90 degrees for downwind leg while losing altitude about 700 ' per minute until at 6000' when making turn before final.

L and at 60kph and get message, "you really shouldn't land there."

I've rerun the session and landed on runway 221 although it has the red lights on at that end but still get the message about landing there.

i've run into issues with the throttle not responding during final or plane not reacting to elevation changes (I'm still using keyboard for throttle and flaps until throttle setup is delivered. Any day now. ) but those are not as annoying as not being able to complete train session satisfactorily. Is this something inherent in the system? Am I doing something wrong? must say I am getting extremely frustrated as previous training sessions have gone well and I've been able to work through glitches as I self-teach to learn how to fly. This can be trying at times when you know zilch when beginning.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

must say I am getting extremely frustrated as previous training sessions have gone well and I've been able to work through glitches as I self-teach to learn how to fly. This can be trying at times when you know zilch when beginning.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

If I were you, I would ditch the MSFS training. You obviously have learned enough to take off and land. For what it's worth, I think mastering landing is three-fourths of the battle; it took me months to be able to do it consistently, and I'm still working on doing it consistently well. I've learned more from watching YouTube videos which I've found on a need-to-know basis (when I need to know something, I "google" it), than from MSFS training exercises. Aside from watching videos online, the best thing to do is to "get into" the cockpit and fly. After all, what can go seriously wrong on a PC? That way, you can learn as you go without the "pressure" of an AI instructor, and you'll probably be less frustrated. Also, I think you'll find the sim even more enjoyable when you get your throttle quadrant. If you don't have a flight yoke, you should consider getting one of those as well, and rudder pedals.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I was inside Sedona Airport earlier today, in real life. I happen to live about 2 miles away!

I have no idea why the training is giving you this error message, but I can tell you one RL feature of KSEZ that may or may not be the reason: it is local custom to always land on runway 3 or take-off from 21, barring unusually difficult winds in the opposite direction. KSEZ's runway has an upward slope on runway 3. If you land on runway 21 this gives you a braking disadvantage, which is an added risk factor on an already dangerous tabletop mountain runway like Sedona. Many pilots have died on that runway in real life.

Sedona is dangerous enough that beginner student pilots are usually not allowed by their instructors to fly there.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Sedona is dangerous enough that beginner student pilots are usually not allowed by their instructors to fly there.

So Neil, are you flying there in RL yet?

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, decided to take the advice of Aptosflyer and ditch the final lesson. I'll go back to it periodically and give it an try.

I now have the Alpha yoke and Bravo throttle quadrant plus Logitech rudder pedals and after a bit of a brain fart setting up the throttle, things are working well now. I intend to stick with smaller general airplanes, propeller driven. Maybe, if I get good enough, I'll try small jets.

I'm working diligently to try to get the landings down and that alone, is a real challenge for me.

Thanks to all for the advice. It is appreciated.

Neilends, in the late '80's, my Bride and I spent several winters in AZ. That area around Oak Creek Canyon in the fall when the Aspen trees change to those brilliant colors is one of the most beautiful places we've ever been. We had beautiful autumn seasons in NJ with the leaves changing color but those in AZ were spectacular.

the power is cut to reduce speed to 70kph

I hope that's MPH, not KPH, else you're down below stall speed.

Neil gave excellent advice about sloping runways -- they cause many (real life) problems for unwary pilots, with the solution being as Neil stated to always land uphill and takeoff downhill except for unusually strong winds, but those have their own hazards as well, especially in that type of terrain.

Addendum: Re-reading your post I see you WERE on runway 3, but I don't know how this sim (especially the lessons) treats such a situation.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!