"Disk Full" Install Error (Still!)

Grover2005

I have spent the last three hours (after a 2 day mental health break) trying to install p3d 5.2...I get into the install for about 2 minutes and then get the error message that my disk is full...I know it is referring to my "C" drive, the OS drive...I am trying to install the program into my "F" drive, an SSD...I have deleted everything that I feel safe deleting from "C" but apparently I still do not have enough for the install...Is there a way to "trick" the installer into using a different drive for its background workings during the install process? Otherwise I think I am doomed to failure! Thanks for your assistance!

Steve in Kansas

Steve in Kansas

7 Miles NW of KGCK

What is the free space reported on the C: and F: drives?

On a SSD, you have to run "Defragment and optimize your drives" from Windows Control Panel from time to time to mark space previously used by deleted files reusable again - this will NOT defragment a SSD! So you need to run that at least on the F: drive, and if C: is a SSD on that also.

Also, go into C:\Users\\Temp and delete everything in there.

Jorgen

On a SSD, you have to run "Defragment and optimize your drives" from Windows Control Panel from time to time to mark space previously used by deleted files reusable again - this will NOT defragment a SSD! So you need to run that at least on the F: drive, and if C: is a SSD on that also.

Windows versions from 7 on will run the Trim command automatically, unless you have manually disabled it. It also won't affect the amount of free space shown on the drive as Windows will already be tracking what has been deleted. However, the SSD isn't aware of what has been deleted, so won't automatically remove the data, and future writes to those areas will slow down. Running the Trim command tells just tells the SSD what can be removed the next time it runs its own garbage collection routine.

https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-ssd/what-is-trim

The Windows Disk Cleanup tool can also help, especially with clearing out files from old system updates.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/disk-cleanup/