I want to buy a new Flight sim i have fs win98 know

bigfg

My computer is running Win 7 home premium, it is asustek desk top pc model CM 5571 processor ® Dual core cpu E5400 @2.70 ghz

Memory (ram) 6.00 gb 5.75 usable, System type 64 bit operating System.

What Flight sim would work with this? also do i need to upgrade the Graphics card? not sure what is in this unit. I tried to find info on it no luck.

I try using my old fs98 as soon as i try to change anything it the screen go blank all but the cockpit, also i have a Saitek 290 Pro controller that calibrates but not recognized by the fs98. Any help would be very much Welcomed.

ps i am not a computer nerd.

What is VMware or VMware pro and where does it go ?

VWware is virtualization software that you install on your pc, that will let you run old operating systems like win 98 / win XP. That way you can enjoy old flight sims like FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, Flight Unlimited 2 / 3, Sierra Pro Pilot, etc.

However, if you have little experience with these things, I would just go to archive.org and download FS2004 or FSX. I dont think your graphics card should have any problems running any of these, so don't worry about it.

You also have newer sims like Xplane 9 / 10 / 11. Xplane 9 runs great on my low end laptop.

Unless it is broken, your controller should work right out of the box, plug and play in any modern OS.

You can run FS5.1 and earlier in DOSbox, FS98 runs perfectly in VMware (preferably VMware Pro, for proper window scaling), FS2002 & 2004 and FSX should work perfectly in windows 7. They also all run in windows 10. FS2002 and 2004 are very light on CPU. :)

Those Flight Simulators require a 32bit OS, and don't run on 64 bit systems! I have Fs98x2, Fs2002, Fs2004, Combat Flight Simulator 2 and 3 running under Windows 7 HPE 32 bit! Defend Reloaded, the DOS Emulator runs under 64 Bit OS's Fine. You can run Fs3 to Fs5.1 on that! :pilot:

Christopher Tarana

My computer is running Win 7 home premium,...

ps i am not a computer nerd.

Since you don't know much about computers, my suggestion to enjoy a flight sim without getting into a lot of confusion and aggravation with regards to pc specs and flite sim configuration files, get the most trouble free and frustration free flite sim you can get that is cheap and runs on relatively low end hardware. Buy FSX Steam. I've bought mine for as low as less than $10 on sale on Steam.

Of course, you can go cheaper, but it'll cost you time and effort. And in the end, it'll cost you more if you value your time and effort.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Hi I also run FS98 under W7 32 bits. I wondered how much usable RAM memory you get. I only get 2.99 GB from 4 GB total.

Also I like running FSTraffic and/or dynamic sceneries more or less busy, but I get errors and crashes. Basically, G3D.dll and DDRAW.dll errors. I don't know if they are Memory related, but anyway, do you get rather busy Traffic with your configuration?

(I have an Intel I7 first generation i870 at 2.93 GHZ and an AMD Radeon R7 200 Card).

And with loaded FS2000 I don't have that problem.

Thanks.

Those Flight Simulators require a 32bit OS, and don't run on 64 bit systems! I have Fs98x2, Fs2002, Fs2004, Combat Flight Simulator 2 and 3 running under Windows 7 HPE 32 bit! Defend Reloaded, the DOS Emulator runs under 64 Bit OS's Fine. You can run Fs3 to Fs5.1 on that! :pilot:

Christopher Tarana

Eh.. yes they do. FS95 and FS98 run wonderful in VMware, because in VMware you can run Windows 98. It runs just the way it should, and would have done back in the day.

DOSbox will run on almost anything, and is suitable for everything prior to FS95.

Also, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX all run great in Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

• 2 weeks later...