HD vs SSD

Rnglgdj

Hi guys

Got a situation.

I had a problem with a laptop and it would not boot.

The fix it up guy said it was a hard drive problem and replaced the HD with a SSD.

After hours of copying back files I got the FS9 to run.

It now has a hesitation during a flight.

I did not notice this before the drive was replaced.

The only time I see the problem is using the flight sim.

Has anyone else replaces a HD with a SSD and have they had the problem?

Also the boot up is faster but different.

Don

As a follow up I have a backup hard drive that has the fs files on it. I connected it to a old Dell xp operating system. So I ran the flight sim on it. It has a very slight hesitation that is hardly noticeable.

The hesitation on the ssd drive is about 4 seconds. Does anyone have a laptop with a ssd running fs and has no hesitation?

It pauses for 4 sec. Not good on short final!!!!!!

I might have have had a slight pause before the hhd was changed for the ssd. Was nothing that bothered me like this pause for 4 sec. And that is counting one thousand one etc.

So according to the info on ssd I should be happy with a ssd drive. Maybe not so with the fs.

Well I was going to have the guy load a new copy of the registry to see if that makes any difference.

In an earlier post I said I changed some of the items in the registry and caused the dlls not to show up and thus the sim would not run. So I fixed that.

Not your SSD unless there is some fault it. Pauses are what you get with a mechanical drive and the SSD actually cures this type of problem. To have 4 second pauses there is an issue somewhere. Try another game if you have one or watch some HD video off the SSD. Any SSD issue you will likely also see it here but it sounds like it's much more an issue inside your FS9.
Mark Daniels

As Skywatcher said, the SSD should vastly improve disk access and transfer times, ie eliminate stutters and pauses.

Don't forget to do exclusion for your FS9 folder in anti-virus and anti-malware software. That was always the solution to pauses in FSX and DCS World for me.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Don't forget to do exclusion for your FS9 folder in anti-virus and anti-malware software. That was always the solution to pauses in FSX and DCS World for me.

A problem with W10 and SSD's seems to be that W10 or one of it's "core components" will go off and "do it's own thing", for noticeable lengths of time and for no apparent reason. The only symptoms readily apparent are that the HDU light is permanently on and the mouse becomes inoperable.

By starting Task Manager and having it open on a second screen some clues may become apparent, but working on a single screen, especially if the application in use is in full-screen mode, having everything "lock up" means trying to monitor Task Manager is impossible. Once the mouse becomes available again, everything "seems" to be back to "normal" with no clues as to what was utilising all the resources :(

Well I took the laptop to the guy that installed the ssd and he only said to reinstall the fs. Great since I don't have a cd to use!!!!!

So maybe they will rent me one.

So I bring the laptop home and run the game and now it works with a very slight hesitation. I think it did that before. The guy changed the compatibility mode and maybe that was the problem and I didn't think of it.

So now I can get my happyness back!!!!!

Edited by Rnglgdj
add text

Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

I have had FS9 running on an SSD for some years - the sim starts up very quickly and I do not have any 4-second hangups. What I do have is a very short pause - nowhere near 4 seconds - as the scenery draws in Spotter Plane mode or with small instrument panel in Cockpit view. The pause does not occur with a slow-flying plane. T

I have the FPS set at 65 fps to keep jittering to a minimum (Bob Marshall tip).

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050 with 2 MB of memory. I am convinced that I should have bought a 1050 with more memory.

But I can live with the pauses; it was the jitters that annoyed me. What you could try is turning the sound quality down to minimum. I'm deaf so the sound is of no interest to me and it did give me an increase in FPS.

Happy flying,

David

Well I seem to have the problem fixed. I don't know if the compatibility change did it for sure.

I have a Acer laptop I5 with a 1T ssd which replaced a 1T HD after it would not boot. I copied the whole FS folder over from the bad HD. The guy that installed the ssd said I should reinstall the FS after the drive was replaced. I am not into the fs as serious as some. I just like flying the GA type planes locally around Pa. I didn't know anything about the sound thing. That is interesting. I have a Dell XP laptop that I can fly using the FS on a backup hd. It works but the graphics are not as good as the Acer abut there was not the hesitation like the Acer before the compatibility change.

Thanks for the reply.