WOAI traffice files converted to FSX now no traffic at all

cj75s

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this poser.

I have read on this forum that WOAI Traffice files are in FS9 format and have to be converted to FSX format if you wish to be able to have your own or any one elses traffic files for fsx displayed.

I did this and loaded them back into Scenery/World/scenery (with the old ones removed) and loaded up FSX but there are no planes displayed. I dont have a lot of WOAI files, just the ones I want, about 20 odd, but no traffic to speak of at Glasgow UK, Heathrow should be buzzing but its empty etc etc.

I have put the ai traffic slider up to 100% but still no WOAI flights at all.

I am running FSX acceleration on a home built quite up to date computer(I do the building as a hobby - have been doing so fo about 30 years or so - Good fun).

Before I converted them a lot of aircraft were showing up, but now all quiet on my FSX front.

anyone got any ideas?

at least I kept the old traffice files on a spare disk just in case.

I did make sure I downloaded the WOAI files for FSX. AI Flightplanner found them to be in FS9 format so I converted them.

You prob have one that hasnt converted. Just one old fs9 file will stop the whole lot working!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I converted one traffic file and the conversion report said it was successful but "contained unused airports/aircraft which were not processed."

Could this be the reason I see no aircraft?

I converted 4 files one at a time and copied them to scenery/world/scenery fired up fsx and placed myself at Heathrow, but its empty. One of the converted files was WOA British Airways, they should at least have been there but no.

Ah well I'll just have to write out the traffic files myself specifically for FSX, or is there another free AI producer out there?

Well guys, Ive checked everything. went through each scenery file and renamed any traffic files I found to .bbb not .bgl even if they said FSX in their title. Then I made a simple daily flight from EGpf to EGPO and put it in world/scenery and fired up FSX. It showed up in GLA before it took off and came back ok too. Then I wrote another simple flight from GLA to LSI and back daily. This workd also.

So I loaded back in the WOAI British Airways traffice file. This shows a few A319's and 320's in EDI and even one in GLA.

ok I thought, I'll load in the WOAI of Eastern airways and have a look at Aberdeen . Nothing there at all. Tried other airports, nothing. so that file is useless when converted to FSX.

so I loaded the WOAI file for flybe and I have 4 Dash 8's now also. So I've been brave and loaded a few more in, but still not much showing. I'll check LHR etc and see what the level of play is down there. This is really bugging me. Ive even recompiled the recompiled FSX traffic files to see if that helped but to no avail. my AI traffic slider is at 100%. I have no ships, no road traffic and have even turned off the ordinary FSX traffic file. Maybe I should just delete everything and start again, FSX that is. it might help to have a clean slate to start with, although it was clean about 6 months ago.

2 cents worth: every time something like this has happened to me it is a stray FS9 Traffic file somewhere unexpected in the FSX folder. I would reboot computer and let AIFP analyze every area on my hard drive, especially the FSX folder in its entirety. Last time I lost all traffic, but only within a 100 mile radius of Atlanta. Weird. But I found a stray FS9 file, converted it, and all OK. Also, make sure you remove all the converted FS9 files. If both FSX new files and old FS9 files are there, traffic won't show.

Thankyou for that. I do still have the old files but they are on a different hard drive not associated with FSX at all. Could these be the problem. I shall copy them to a thuimb drive right now.

cheers

Well I did reboot and used AIFP to search for any Fs9 traffic files still existing on my PC. This took a little while due to the number of HDD I have attached. However it found 3 files, which I also moved to a thumbdrive. I then rebooted and fired up FSX - But still no traffic.

As I was converting them I did get this message from quite a few of them after conversion

"contained unused airports/aircraft which were not processed."

Now I wonder if this is the root of my problem and why has it happened?

I shall have a look at one of the files in AIFP and compare it with its FS9 counterpart. could take a while.

If you're using DX10 preview mode you might find the WOAI planes are invisible at many airports, except for the nav and beacon lights.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thankyou for that. I do still have the old files but they are on a different hard drive not associated with FSX at all. Could these be the problem. I shall copy them to a thuimb drive right now.

cheers

Having the FS9 copies on your system anywhere outside of FSX will not be a problem UNLESS the folder location they are stored in is:

A. In the correct hierarchy required by FSX - i.e. the actual .bgl files are within a scenery subfolder (e.g. MainFolderName\Scenery\ AND...

B. That folder location has been activated in FSX....

Which brings me to this Q: In all the testing that you have down have you inadvertently de-activated the file Scenery\World\Scenery entry...

Some other things to consider...

Possible missing models/textures - Use AIFP to check for missing aircraft models/texture used in the traffic files...It is worth noting that some AI traffic files provide textures (i.e. repaints) only for a specific AI model that needs to be sourced separately

Location of AI Models/Textures - If you do find that you are missing the models/textures you can then check for them in the Simobjects folder. If found check that the location of the missing traffic textures/models is known to FSX.

If you have stored them in a location other than the default SimObject Folders (by this I mean that if you have manually created a specific folder to hold them or the auto installer has created one) it must be listed in the FSX.cfg file under the [Main] section- as shown in this example from my .cfg - entries 7 to 10....

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=D:\FSX Utilities\TrafficGlobal\TrafficGlobalFleet

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\AIFastJets

SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\AIHeavies

SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\AIHelicopters

SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\AITrainers

SimObjectPaths.11=SimObjects\HJG

Also note that you would need to do the same if you (or the auto installer) install into an unusual folder structure within a default folder - for example if we were to add a new B737 model by company ABC to the default Simobjects\Airplanes folder as follows Simobjects\Airplanes\ABC\\B737\Model files and folders the models won't show unless you either:

A. Add a entry to point to the location - e.g. SimObjectPaths.XX=SimObjects\Airplanes\ABC....OR

B. Change the folder structure to Simobjects\Airplanes\ABC\Model files and folders by moving the Model Files/Folders up one level into the ABC folder and then deleting the now empty B737 folder...you could also rename the ABC folder to ABC B737 for further clarity....

My final thoughts on this is that you don't need to use the default location to store traffic files...they can (as can most addon scenery) be stored anywhere, included outside of the FSX as long as two prerequisites are met:

A. The individual .bgl files are stored in a subfolder called Scenery (e.g. C:\FSX Traffic Files\Scenery...and

B. The folder location is known to (i.e. activated in) FSX

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Thankyou Brian.

As it happens, while windows was updating we got a power outage which damaged my windows 10 system that was running at the time. This has resulted in me having to gather as much off the HDD as possible then format it and reinstall windows which was actually good due to the fact I use it now solely for FSX and the system seems to load much faster. I use Linux for everything else.

However with woai now loaded back into FSX i still find my own flight plands don't show up so its back to converting them again to fsx format. I noticed on the woai website that a lot of packages were either FS9 or FSX but some didnt state what format they were in. I feel these are to blame so its back to AIFP to search for them.

Thank you to all who have helped me on this journey. I have learned a lot.