Default Scenery question.

ViperPilot2

Howdy, fellow Simmers!

A short question for those in the know... KGWS (Glenwood Springs Airport), CO. Part of the Default Scenery, it has a tall tree at each end of the Runway which makes it tricky to land in either direction. Gerrish Grey's Trees v3 installed. Crash Detection is OFF.

Is there a way to remove said trees from the Scenery, or should I just ignore them and plow right through them on Short Final?

Thanks!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I think in ADE you may create an exclusion box that may work. I hope Tom Gibson will chime in here. He's very knowledgeable on this subject

An exclusion box (or two) sounds like exactly what you need if the trees are autogen. I use SceneGenX and/or SBuilder, but I'm sure ADE or any other scenery editor would be able to supply a solution with a couple of clicks.

However, if the trees in question are part of a scenery augmentation it may not be quite so easy. Having said that, the default scenery does seem a bit "crowded", compared with Google Earth, so an exclusion or two should fix things very adequately :)

Now you're talking about stuff that I simply cannot wrap my head around, much like Repainting! :p

Although I have no issue with flying right through the tree(s) in question, it isn't very realistic...

Has anybody seen the airport in question in the Sim? The trees in question are there, or is it just a quirk in my particular load?

Thanks...

An exclusion box (or two) sounds like exactly what you need if the trees are autogen. I use SceneGenX and/or SBuilder, but I'm sure ADE or any other scenery editor would be able to supply a solution with a couple of clicks.

However, if the trees in question are part of a scenery augmentation it may not be quite so easy. Having said that, the default scenery does seem a bit "crowded", compared with Google Earth, so an exclusion or two should fix things very adequately :)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi,

I just checked KGWS with default scenery, autogen and mesh. The trees do really come close to the runway.

The more FS9-realistic way to solve this would be to add some airport background polygons (I use SBuilder for that) to something resembling Google Earth. It would look better and the autogen trees would be gone from there...

Regards,

DDP.

Yá’át’ééh!

You could also use Paavo Pihelgas' ExcBuilder v2.0 for FS2004. You will need to also d/l FSConnect.dll and .bglComp.exe (available from Avsim). It's a fairly simple programme to set up and use. PM me if you have any problems. Might want to also d/l David Opa Marshall's excellent updated tutorial.

Regards,

Dorian

For a quick removal of a few trees I use Dorian's techniques using ExcBuilder. It's more reliable than ADE and simpler than SBuilder. Use Exclude All to remove the autogen trees.

The other choice is to use a tool like ADE to place a small object right on top of the tree(s). That will suppress the autogen tree. You will need to place more than one object (usually 1 per tree). The object can be placed underground so it's invisible. The object can be any small library object (I often use a shrub).

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks for the Replies!

Colin... I looked in the File Library for a KGWS Scenery, but all that was there was an AFCAD2 file for KGWS, KASE AND KEGE (Aspen & Eagle County). However, I have Add Ons for Aspen and Eagle, and I don't know what the AFCAD2 file would do to those Sceneries. The other is Gottfried's mesh, but I've never had good luck with his stuff.

I tried once long ago to modify a Default Scenery just to put an extra building on the tarmac, and botched that up so completely that I got CTD's, and had to do a complete re-install of FS9 just to get back to square one. Now, that type of stuff just terrifies me.

I'll just live with the misplaced trees for now, and go through them on Short Final. Besides, it's only for a run from KEGE, which is only 20 miles or so to KGWS... a milk run.

Thanks again!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks for the Replies!

Colin... I looked in the File Library for a KGWS Scenery, but all that was there was an AFCAD2 file for KGWS, KASE AND KEGE (Aspen & Eagle County). However, I have Add Ons for Aspen and Eagle, and I don't know what the AFCAD2 file would do to those Sceneries. The other is Gottfried's mesh, but I've never had good luck with his stuff.

I tried once long ago to modify a Default Scenery just to put an extra building on the tarmac, and botched that up so completely that I got CTD's, and had to do a complete re-install of FS9 just to get back to square one. Now, that type of stuff just terrifies me.

I'll just live with the misplaced trees for now, and go through them on Short Final. Besides, it's only for a run from KEGE, which is only 20 miles or so to KGWS... a milk run.

Thanks again!

If you post a screenshot of an overhead view (north orientated) with marked out areas at each end of the runway where you want the trees to be excluded, I'll make you a file … it'll take just a couple of minutes. Just remember, when marking, that "excludes" are rectangular, so are effectively defined by N/E and S/W corners (or vice versa), so no fancy outlines, and you may "lose" a little more on one side than the other, but it should be better than what you've got at the moment ;)

Col, I did the Google search, and the only thing that came up was Gottfried's Mesh.

I'll post a screenshot of the field as it sits in my Sim, if I can.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

By pure curiosity I checked how KGWS looks like in my FS9.

51396086170_fab12b8948_b.jpg

It might be slightly different as descripted below. Don't compare the colors. These result while using a certain configuration of SweetFx. Therefore just be fixed on autogen differences.

Bernard

By pure curiosity I checked how KGWS looks like in my FS9.

51396086170_fab12b8948_b.jpg

It might be slightly different as descripted below. Don't compare the colors. These result while using a certain configuration of SweetFx. Therefore just be fixed on autogen differences.

Bernard

Here is a screenshot of KGWS as it appears in my load of FS9. The trees in question are marked with the rectangular boxes in the screenie. Sorry about the quality... it's been a long time since I did one of these! :p

fsscr000a.jpg

Edited by ViperPilot2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Here is a screenshot of KGWS as it appears in my load of FS9. The trees in question are marked with the rectangular boxes in the screenie. Sorry about the quality... it's been a long time since I did one of these! :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]227109[/ATTACH]

Not quite what I had in mind, but try this https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzZuPOaEswYgg3z4RWk5vp0WUu9?e=6BbH6p

Just drop the file into your "Addon Scenery\Scenery" folder, ensure "Addon Scenery" is activated in your "Scenery Library" and you should see a difference.

Not quite what I had in mind, but try this https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzZuPOaEswYgg3z4RWk5vp0WUu9?e=6BbH6p

Just drop the file into your "Addon Scenery\Scenery" folder, ensure "Addon Scenery" is activated in your "Scenery Library" and you should see a difference.

Chris,

I will load it into my Sim, and let you know. many thanks for your effort and assistance!

EDIT 2147z 8/22... Loaded the File into the Sim, and here's what it now looks like:

fsscr001.jpg

It definitely did the trick. That's awesome, Chris! Many Thanks!

Bernard... boy, your sim looks so different, terrain wise! :D

Edited by ViperPilot2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Yes, and in reality it looks like somehow between:(

Bernard

Not after our Summer of monsoon rains! Mudslides in the Grizzly Creek burn scar (wildfire) absolutely destroyed the highway through Glenwood Canyon, sending rock and boulders through the highway into the Colorado River.

The highway is open, but it'll take months to repair it back to the way it was before. 😕

Alan :)

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG