FSX SDK Installation

ac103010

Hi all.

I think I may have a problem. I have FSX Gold with Acceleration. I never installed SDK but now I need to because it's apparently necessary to run Airport Design Editor. My problem is, my Acceleration disc has become damaged and won't run. I've ordered a new (2nd hand) acceleration disc but when I look to uninstall the previous version it looks to me that if I try to uninstall Acceleration it will also uninstall FSX.

Any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks,

Allan

Hi F16.

I don't want to uninstall FSX.

I want to use ADE. A requirement is having SDK installed (if I'm reading it correctly).

Installation of SDK requires the Acceleration CD and mine is unreadable. So I've bought another pre-owned disc. Correct me if I'm wrong but because my already installed Acceleration disc has it's own Product Key I'm thinking I can't just install the replacement Accel. disc over the top.

So, I'm thinking I have to uninstall the Accel. program, but when I look in Apps and Features (Win10) the only entry I can find is:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration.

So, if I try to uninstall this it will uninstall FSX, too.

Has my thinking gone astray, somewhere?

Allan

You don't need to install Acceleration from yr new disc, as you have it already running.

You don't need the new Product Key.

All you need from the new disc is the SDK installation folder.

Those installers aren't protected with the product key.

From the article for which I already gave the link:

FSX Acceleration Pack OR FSX Gold Pack users

To install the SDK for FSX Acceleration Pack OR FSX Gold Pack:

1. Install the RTM SDK from FSX Deluxe Edition disk 1, (see 3.1.1 FSX Deluxe RTM users instructions above).
  2. Insert your Acceleration Pack DVD.
  3. Browse to the subfolder called SDK\SP1a\
  4. Install the SDK SP1A from there using fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe, (dated 26/09/2007, size 165,569KB).
  5. Browse to the folder called SDK\
  6. Install the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK using sdk.msi, (dated 06/10/2007, size 216,929KB).

So there's no need to modify yr current FSX/A installation.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Wim, thank you. You have no idea how relieved that makes me.

On a similar subject, though, I was reading some conflicting opinions: one says that there is no need for the Accel disc because FSX Gold already has it included whereas another school of thought says it is needed.

But with the information, above, waiting now for my new disc to arrive.

Thank you. again.

Allan

Apparently not. But there's no problem now. With the info that Wim gave me and the fact that I've now got a replacement Accel disc, I shouldn't have any further problems. Except that I've discovered it wasn't the disc at all, it's the DVD player. LOL. But no problem, I have a couple of replacements. Only a few minutes to change them, over.

Regards,

Allan

I spoke too soon.

Just what the hell is going on? I've installed TWO replacement DVD drivers but when I try to install SDK from Disc 1 the SDK folder opens but the setup.exe file just WILL NOT run. I get the egg timer and I can hear the DVD running, but nothing - zilch.

I've only recently installed FSX from the same disc, with no problems so difficult to see that there's a problem with the disc. I wouldn't bother, but apparently ADE needs SDK to run.

Allan

I spoke too soon.

Just what the hell is going on? I've installed TWO replacement DVD drivers but when I try to install SDK from Disc 1 the SDK folder opens but the setup.exe file just WILL NOT run. I get the egg timer and I can hear the DVD running, but nothing - zilch.

I've only recently installed FSX from the same disc, with no problems so difficult to see that there's a problem with the disc. I wouldn't bother, but apparently ADE needs SDK to run.

Allan

Have you tried copying the SDK installer to your SSD or hard drive and running from there?

I've had this issue with several discs in my LG DVD Drive - I end up copying the contents to a drive and running from there

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Are you ruinning windows 10? there is a problem with w10 and dvd drives, requires a bit of tinkering, I had similar issue, my dvd drive would not read disks. Google it to solve your problem, unfortunately i drink too much scotch whisky so cannot mind exactly what do do

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread.

I need the FSX SDK for the MCX package - I'm trying to set up a few static aircraft to represent the collection at Temora Museum.

When I tried to run MCX it came up with the error "Failed to locate FSX XtoMDL, please update the path in the options". This inferred the SDK was not installed.

I tried to follow the instructions given above - Disk1 and Accelerator Disk2 but immediately found my DVD's did NOT show any of the files mentioned!!! (See attached images) The SDK folder on Disk 1 contained a sdk.msi and a setup.exe - I installed this (???) but the installation of SDK sp2 still asked for SP1A

Hmmm, after messing about for a long time I managed to find a download of the SDK SP1A (from AVSIM) and a copy of the SDK sp2. I'm pleased to say these appeared to install OK.

I hope I can now move forward.Summary:

Download the SDK's and install them - forget the DVD's!

fsx_disk_1.JPG

disk2.JPG

disk1 sdk.JPG