ATC seems to ignore wind

CsCsanad

Hello again, guys!

So recently I ran into an issue regarding the basic FSX ATC.

Here are the details:

Today I made a short flight from Alesund (Norway) to Oslo Gardermoen to test a new repaint I made. I wanted a specific approach in Oslo, so I set the wind in a way ATC would allow me to land at RWY 19R. The wind I set was 8 kts from 200 degrees or something like that. I made the flight plan with the basic FSX flight planner and got into flying. At the end of my flight, the ATC cleared me to a RWY 01L approach (the opposite of RWY 19R). So I had to make a landing with an 8 knot tailwind, which is far from realistic...

I ran into the same bug a few days ago at Luxembourg, so its not airport related. Now this wouldn't really be an issue at other airports, but for example at Kai Tak (which I frequently fly into), I like to take RWY 13 approach. If the ATC continues to ignore winds, those landings will be impossible as the wind is normally set to RWY 31 approaches.

I also noticed that, no matter how fast wind speeds are, the ATIS always says: "Wind calm". Not sure if that's related though.

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but the aircraft I used was the TDS Boeing 737-800.

I don't use any weather engines or ATC add-ons, things like that I like to keep default.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Hello again, guys!

So recently I ran into an issue regarding the basic FSX ATC.

Here are the details:

Today I made a short flight from Alesund (Norway) to Oslo Gardermoen to test a new repaint I made. I wanted a specific approach in Oslo, so I set the wind in a way ATC would allow me to land at RWY 19R. The wind I set was 8 kts from 200 degrees or something like that. I made the flight plan with the basic FSX flight planner and got into flying. At the end of my flight, the ATC cleared me to a RWY 01L approach (the opposite of RWY 19R). So I had to make a landing with an 8 knot tailwind, which is far from realistic...

I ran into the same bug a few days ago at Luxembourg, so its not airport related. Now this wouldn't really be an issue at other airports, but for example at Kai Tak (which I frequently fly into), I like to take RWY 13 approach. If the ATC continues to ignore winds, those landings will be impossible as the wind is normally set to RWY 31 approaches.

I also noticed that, no matter how fast wind speeds are, the ATIS always says: "Wind calm". Not sure if that's related though.

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but the aircraft I used was the TDS Boeing 737-800.

I don't use any weather engines or ATC add-ons, things like that I like to keep default.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Wind and weather hasn't worked in FSX for YEARS, mate.

What are you using to generate the weather and windspeed and direction?

Hi

Wind direction in FSX are arse about face. You set the wind to say 270 at 13 FSX, which means in real terms the wind is from 270' but FSX will assume its from 090' so will land you on 09. Strange bug.

maybe somebody could write something to correct this?? Just posing the question. Theres lots of brilliant talent out there.

cheers guys and gals.

winds.jpg

If ATIS is reporting calm winds, you might try lowering the surface winds height. My first try I got a sucessful wind report and the 19 runway was active as it should be. The airport elevation is close to 700 so I put the winds at 1000 feet surface level height. ( and yes the pic shows me at runway 01 but that was before I changed the winds. 01 would be the default runway in calm winds.)

Edited by mqytn