Won’t update stuck on decompressing help!

Hi everyone so I’ve been playing the simulator since it came out and the other day I went to run the mandatory update that we all have to install. The problem is it starts the update and after 1 or 2 percent it gets hung up during when it says it is decompressing a certain file and never continues and now I can’t play the game. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have tried a completely different ssd drive with a fresh windows install and it still gets stuck when it reaches the point that it says it is decompressing. Why? Thank you

Hi everyone so I’ve been playing the simulator since it came out and the other day I went to run the mandatory update that we all have to install. The problem is it starts the update and after 1 or 2 percent it gets hung up during when it says it is decompressing a certain file and never continues and now I can’t play the game. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have tried a completely different ssd drive with a fresh windows install and it still gets stuck when it reaches the point that it says it is decompressing. Why? Thank you

It's been doing that to me for the last couple of updates too. Just abort the update and then restart it. Then it will update the problem file. I had to do this up to 10 times. It usally happens on aircraft. You can also delete the problem aircraft if you see it's name. I make changes to aircraft cfg files, and I think this may be the problem. Don't give up. Eventually it will finish the update!

Hi yes I have stopped the update and restarted it over and over and it just keeps getting stuck decompressing and I also went in the folder and deleted whichever file it was getting stuck on and when I restarted the update it just got stuck decompressing a different file, it’s messed up lol

Hi yes I have stopped the update and restarted it over and over and it just keeps getting stuck decompressing and I also went in the folder and deleted whichever file it was getting stuck on and when I restarted the update it just got stuck decompressing a different file, it’s messed up lol

Hi have the same issue going on but i am getting stuck at 97% installed, it gets stuck on decompressing fs-base-cgl-0.1.63 fspackage.009 .......

I have now tried installing again 6 times

Let me know if you have any luck, i have tried everything

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Hi have the same issue going on but i am getting stuck at 97% installed, it gets stuck on decompressing fs-base-cgl-0.1.63 fspackage.009 .......

I have now tried installing again 6 times

Let me know if you have any luck, i have tried everything

If it is sticking on fs-base-0.1.63..... have you tried deleting this file, then trying again?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

If it is sticking on fs-base-0.1.63..... have you tried deleting this file, then trying again?

Regards

Steve

Do i delete the folder or is it a specific file ?

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

I'd try to find the specific file.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I'd try to find the specific file.

Regards

Steve

i delete the file then restart the installation ..... right ?

It will automatically reinstall the file again ???

Correct.

I’ve never had to do this (yet) but many others have. They restart it & it continues installing. Should it then stop on another file.. you do the same again.

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...
Having same issues and very disappointed. Been such a head ache and wanna fly. Microsoft needs to be better with helping out to. Some of us don’t know how to do a lot of the specific file searching and deleting and spend hours and hours trying to figure where to start. Any solutions that helped you guys?

This link really should be pinned to the top of this forum - it's the download and decompressing troubleshooting guide from Zendesk:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-All-versions-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

There are several fixes to choose from, take your pick. I'm currently using two of them which have cured the problem for me:

Disable Window Auto-Tuning

Disable IPV6

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 1 month later...

Purchased FS2020 a couple of weeks ago and cannot even get the game installed. It gets stuck decompressing at the same place every time. Can't say how many times I have deleted the stuck file and restarted but it's a lot. I have tried a clean boot, run a memory check, reinstalled graphics drivers, disabled ipv6, turned off anti-virus, etc., etc. as suggested in this and many other forums. No joy.

It gets stuck on decompressing 260/337 of the initial download every time which is either fs-base-aircraft-icao-0.1.4.fspatch or asobo-material-lib-0.1.39.fspatch. I have let it run for hours (overnight a couple of times) and it will not progress beyond the point of 260 out of 337 on the initial download.

Any ideas? I have tried everything I can find online to no avail.

OK, I finally got MSFS 2020 to install. In addition to everything else I had done, I uninstalled MSFS via the XBOX app, removed all the folders that remained (empty or not), set security permissions on the destination SSD per a YouTube video, created a different folder for the packages and installed via the XBOX app. This time it sailed through without stopping. Total time a little over 12 hours.

This has got to be the worst installation experience ever. There are so many different "fixes" for so many different potential problems that there is really no way to tell what fix you need without trying them all.

OK, I finally got MSFS 2020 to install. In addition to everything else I had done, I uninstalled MSFS via the XBOX app, removed all the folders that remained (empty or not), set security permissions on the destination SSD per a YouTube video, created a different folder for the packages and installed via the XBOX app. This time it sailed through without stopping. Total time a little over 12 hours.

This has got to be the worst installation experience ever. There are so many different "fixes" for so many different potential problems that there is really no way to tell what fix you need without trying them all.

Sorry you’ve had so many problems getting it to install. Glad you’ve sorted it though and thanks for sharing how you did it. These sort of posts are always appreciated.

Regards

Steve

• 4 months later...

my fix:

- was stuck on decompressing a specific file/package, note the file name.

- stop updater/msfs.

- this file/package will be in: game folder -> Official -> Steam, at the bottom.

- delete the file with same name as in the msfs updater.

- start msfs/updater - updating did continue on nicely!

(i did also rename my community folder before, but don't think this had relevance).

earlier i also had success using limiting the download speed drastically for msfs, but no longer have the limiter software. however the above solution was way easier anyways.

Hope it works for someone at least!