Importing FSX aircraft into FSX Steam and FS2020

I have a good collection of aircraft, many of which I have repainted for use in FSX Acceleration. I can no longer use that software because of licensing issues and have installed both FSX-Steam and FS2020 on a new computer. Is it possible to install my old aircraft in these newer versions of the sim?

Thanks!

I have a good collection of aircraft, many of which I have repainted for use in FSX Acceleration. I can no longer use that software because of licensing issues and have installed both FSX-Steam and FS2020 on a new computer. Is it possible to install my old aircraft in these newer versions of the sim?

Thanks!

From what I have read on this and other forums, probably not possible. :(

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi,

Most of the FSX stuff should work fine in the Steam version...the Steam version is essentially the same as the boxed version of FSX Acceleration and uses the same folder structure. One of the main differences is that a few tweaks are already added to the FSX.cfg file that most users of the boxed edition will have already added. Another is that the whole package was re-compiled using Visual C++ 2013 for better optimization and performance. However, it still makes use of Visual C++ 2005 libraries for backwards compatibility - many pre-steam era addons would have been compiled using 2005 or later. See HERE for more details

The main issue will be that, because the Steam version uses a slightly different folder hierarchy ABOVE the standard FSX folder structure with a pre-set naming convention that must be used, the auto installer for most pre Steam product cannot find it...all you need to do is manually point the installer to the correct location...

FYI the Steam hierarchy pre-set is used irrespective of what you try to do - here's some examples - the items in BOLD are 'pre-set' items...

By default Steam will install FSX (and any other steam game) at C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\\

If you try to install to a dedicated folder - say C;\FSX - the actually install path will actually be C:\FSX\SteamApps\Common\FSX\

As for MS2020 compatibility - that is a non starter - the way in which the new product has been made i means that FSX stuff is incompatible

Regards

Brian

Converting FSX to MSFS has been done.

BUT... it gives very much mixed results.

First off, do NOT expect perfection. Your PMDG MD-11 will likely never work right after being "converted"... that is and example of a complex software that simply can't be "converted"and still work with the precision PMDG customers are expecting. For study level, precision simulations, for training to learn real aircraft examples, do not use any conversion tool no matter the attraction, just use the examples purpose built for this or that sim.

Usually, it doesn't bring over cockpit gauges... so flying it properly is not happening. Often it doesn't sit properly on it's landing gear, often sinking the tires into the ground, or half the plane. Sometimes it doesn't fly right, meaning not like the real thing... other times it's fine. Sometimes the textures don't show up. other times the glass from say a bubble canopy or rounded window simply won't appear, because older 3d software. Sometimes it will crash to desktop. Sometimes the audio of engines will loop endlessly, not working properly.

And on rare occasions, it does work to satisfaction.

But then you run into another problem: permission from the original creator! See, whether payware or freeware, you'll need permission from the original person, to share distribute the new converted version. Also, often the original creator doesn't want you to modify it even for your own personal use, making the conversion "illegal", but it's not like someone's peering over your shoulder looking at what you do on your computer... oh wait, someone is... ok never mind. Get permission if you want to share with others.

Similarly, some original creators intend to release a new MSFS version in future, and don't want a poor conversion confusing the public.

All that said, onto some resources:

https://www.youtube.com/user/zagyvatrombita/videos

https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/msfs-legacy-importer/

Also, you can do a deep dive into this extremely long, never ending discussion thread:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910/2173

Edited by Herc79

That's one of my major irks with MSFS2020. FSX (and FS2004) had some amazing freeware (and please no lectures on "freeware" versus "shareware" etc etc) aircraft. I specifically recall a beautiful F-86 Sabrejet by Section8 Software, a Tupolev Tu-114 (?) that had a fully replicated virtual cockpit and cabin, an eye-popping Dassault Mirage IV and so many others. I had dozens and dozens of amazing and accurate planes. Now, if you want aircraft besides the default ones you have to pay up and there are only a handful available, and they are nice but very few. If it remains like this within the next few months I may go back to FSX. Edited by Ducktooth
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

That's one of my major irks with MSFS2020. FSX (and FS2004) had some amazing freeware (and please no lectures on "freeware" versus "shareware" etc etc) aircraft. I specifically recall a beautiful F-86 Sabrejet by Section8 Software, a Tupolev Tu-114 (?) that had a fully replicated virtual cockpit and cabin, an eye-popping Dassault Mirage IV and so many others. I had dozens and dozens of amazing and accurate planes. Now, if you want aircraft besides the default ones you have to pay up and there are only a handful available, and they are nice but very few. If it remains like this within the next few months I may go back to FSX.

Keep both games. I fly MSFS, X-Plane 11 and DCS.

Use MSFS for the low and slow sight seeing and then jump into FSX for your fav planes. Yes its painful going back and seeing the ancient visuals but even then - visuals are not everything. Just enjoy the airplanes.

I use MSFS for low and slow, XP11 for airliner flying and DCS for cannon runs :cool:

Users have been importing planes into MSFS from FSX since release, and we still are, but it is getting harder all the time. Each successive update to MSFS introduces new barriers, and MSFS Legacy Importer has not kept up, so at this point, there are many things you have to do to get a plane working besides running it through Legacy Importer. I have had to teach myself a little XML for fixing gauges, new graphics software for adjusting textures, and have had to learn quite a lot about the structure of the old 3D model and flight model files, sometimes editing them a byte at a time with a hex editor to fix some glitch. Luckily I somewhat enjoy this, and I have a solid 50 or so planes that look, work, and fly almost as well as many native planes in MSFS, and that greatly enhance the diversity of my flying experiences. I don't know how many folks are still doing this, though, as the last update broke a lot of legacy planes that had been working fine, and I'm not sure how many users have learned the workarounds.

That said, Throttle_UP is absolutely right about keeping both games. The truth is that there are some things MSFS still does very badly as a flight simulator. Yes, it looks great, but the flight models are not very good yet even for native-built planes, and the ATC, the IFR navigation, autopilots, and a bunch of other stuff is either broken or unfinished, such that it is not even as good as FS2004. For when I want a realistic experience in those respects I still go to P3D, FSX, and even FS2004, not to mention shooty sims like DCS, IL-2, and Rise of Flight which in many ways are better flight sims than MSFS if you just turn off the shooty parts.

August

That said, Throttle_UP is absolutely right about keeping both games. The truth is that there are some things MSFS still does very badly as a flight simulator. Yes, it looks great, but the flight models are not very good yet even for native-built planes, and the ATC, the IFR navigation, autopilots, and a bunch of other stuff is either broken or unfinished, such that it is not even as good as FS2004. For when I want a realistic experience in those respects I still go to P3D, FSX, and even FS2004, not to mention shooty sims like DCS, IL-2, and Rise of Flight which in many ways are better flight sims than MSFS if you just turn off the shooty parts.

August

Also remember, to date as far as I know, you're limited to a single screen view with MSFS and their flight control inputs are an absolute nightmare to use if you're setup for the FSX, P3D, etc. control sets.

Generally MSFS has much prettier screen shot capability. If you're really into pretty pictures, or "sightseeing," that's your best bet.

I pick and choose sims depending on what I'm doing at the time. But ITO of this old RW pilot the older formats are more accurate sims to flying RW.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Probably not the right Thread. In FS2020 I have an payware aircraft. I really do not like the panel operations in it.

Is it possible to substitude another closely related Panel from another FS2020 aircraft. I have tried this the same way I used to do in FSX but this does not seem to work....there seems to be more to this procedure then just simply porting over the Panel folders.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Herman