Thread: Possible workaround to not update

Default Possible workaround to not update

Hi all,

I'm a bit trepadatious to update, given the recent circus with SU 5 and subsequent hotfix. I'm now considering leaving the sim open and just not closing to update. That way, I may be able to temporarily skip the update for a while. The caveat being that the sim needs to be stable enough not to CTD on me, thereby forcing me to restart it.

I've not been able to use the sim for the last month, since my CPU is in for RMA, so I'm still technically on SU4. But my CPU is scheduled to arrive today. So hopefully I can install it, SU5 and hotfix 1, and not have to deal with hotfix 2 (yet). IF it's stable enough...

I'm wondering if this would work...
    Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.4 GHz
    16 GB @ 3200 MHz
    GTX 970
    2560 x 1080

Nope. Microsoft makes you install the update no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohn View Post
    Nope. Microsoft makes you install the update no matter what.
    No, I don’t think that’s true if you keep Flight sim running all the time. It only checks for updates when you first launch the sim.
    Of course... it could easily go wrong. You accidentally switch off the pc.. you have a power cut... or simply just a CTD.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

In theory it should work, however as Steve pointed out there's a lot of obstacles in the way
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by g7rta View Post
    No, I don’t think that’s true if you keep Flight sim running all the time. It only checks for updates when you first launch the sim.
    Of course... it could easily go wrong. You accidentally switch off the pc.. you have a power cut... or simply just a CTD.

Regards
    Steve
    Oh okay - but also the sim would use a LOT of resources in the background of other games, programs, etc, so why would you want to limit performance of the system? And true on the other aspects of CTD etc...then bam - update.

I'll give it a try anyway and see what happens. My PC is dedicated to MSFS and I literally do nothing else on it, since my employer gave me a laptop. So I'm happy to to leave it running for a while, even if it drains all the system resources.

Like I said earlier, and others also noted, whether the sim is stable enough to keep going for a few days is another matter entirely...
    Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.4 GHz
    16 GB @ 3200 MHz
    GTX 970
    2560 x 1080