Add On Scenery/scenery Problem

Ray Hff

While I've had good look with add on scenery over the years, all of a sudden FSX stopped using any of the bgl files in the scenery directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery

Any thoughts?

Do you mean your scenery has disappeared? Bit of a vague request tbh? Is your scenery.cfg intact?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

To be precise, this is FSX Acceleration that I am using.

All of my scenery, original and many, many add-ons are in place in the correct directories.

All of my scenery functions perfectly except that which is driven by the bgl files in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery

When any files are added to or removed from that directory, FSX is supposed to pole the directory and register what is there. Now, following any change in that directory, it appears to be ignored by FSX and FSX at this point recognizes nothing in that directory.

All my regular scenery, both default and add-on scenery, works fine. Files in the noted directory do not.

The add-on directory contains over 200 sub-directories and they all work. The problem directory contains over 100 of which all used to work. They're still there but they go unrecognized by FSX.

And yes, the scenery.cfg is intact.

PS I've been at this for more than a decade and it's the first time I have had this issue.

Edited by Ray Hff

Found it, thanks to your question about the scenery.cfg. file. Thank you.

I thought it was fine; but, that was not so.

Upon review, this section:

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Was totally missing. All the sections were there in numerical sequence except this section was totally missing. Sections from start to 114 were there and sections from 116 to the end were too.

I manually put it back in and all's well.

My only question now is what did I do that caused that? I'll need to think a lot about that.

Found it, thanks to your question about the scenery.cfg. file. Thank you.

I thought it was fine; but, that was not so.

Upon review, this section:

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Was totally missing. All the sections were there in numerical sequence except this section was totally missing. Sections from start to 114 were there and sections from 116 to the end were too.

I manually put it back in and all's well.

My only question now is what did I do that caused that? I'll need to think a lot about that.

Did you possibly delete an addon scenery from the folder before removing it from your FSX Scenery Library?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️