A cautionary tale...

Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.

I had no idea they allowed teenage trolls in this forum.

And I suppose this goes without saying since it applies to 99% of us, but SU5 with the hotfix is working flawlessly for me (the performance has improved by 30% to 50% for me) and I feel absolutely no temptation to reinstall any of the obsolete sims. But enjoy your trip back to the 20th Century my friend! Hopefully you're running the steam edition of FSX with the fixes and that you are using Windows XP with your FS9 installation. Otherwise I fear you'll soon be using FS2000.

Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.

Thanks. That’s been my plan all along.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Also have been able to use the sim somewhat problem free. My specs

32 ram

2080 super

ssd

The point is the flood of complaints are not spec specific. In fact the best gains have come with those of equivalent or below xbox specs. We cant just brush all of this aside by saying all the problems are from people trying to use week systems. Its just not true

Hi First of all can i just say my update installed without a a hitch, it was the so called Hotfix that gave me problems initially causing ctd's 2 to be exact I use a 4k smart tv and run the sin in Ultra and 4k,I am getting better frame rates than i could have imagined but they deteriorate fast in dense populated areas as you would expect in most systems,as point of ref i do have an above average PC with all the latest commponants ,i have not tweaked anything ,I really feel for the people that are having problems, but dissing the sim wont solve them, report the problems to the Zen desk or they will never know about peoples issues.Msfs2020 as without doubt got some problems.

I would suggest to everyone don't fill your community folder with addons ,don't alter things in Nvidia control panel unless you know what your doing, even then a bit at a time ,make sure your system as good specs not just minimum ,have enough ram and a good PSU ,have a good HDD if not a SSD then the fastest possible ,if its not a steam version i have used steam for 16yrs but would not trust it with MSFS2020 . I found it better to install the sim on a seperate drive to the OS just seems better and the community folder is easier to find, make sure you have a good internet connection not wifi if possible but wired ,most people will probably be doing the things i have suggested i am no expert by any means but just trying to help those who are having difficulty, Almost everyone who is having problems is blaming the sim ,while its far from perfect if it was as broken as we are led to believe ,then i don't think it would work for anyone, I would say look to your hardware PC setting all updates ,ms store, windows, gpu, etc updates are important, I might be wrong but I dont think its good to run on a LAptop unless very high end.

Much of what i have said is very much common sense and I am sure some of the people haveing problems are more experienced than me and i feel sorry for everyone having problems ,when i first got the sim i followed youtube videos to try and increase my fps a load of rubbish i soon found it is what it is i think if it cant be done within the sim then things should be altered with caution out of the sim.

I am not an experienced simmer but never had any problems with installation, all updates have gone very smooth ,don't know if its location that as anything to do with it or not like people that live in a big city might have more trouble than someone like me that lives in a Rural location.I think it goes without saying a Stable internet connection is so important. Again a wired connection is better than wifi.

At the end of the day I can only speak of my own personal experience with the sim and it as on the whole very good, and a lot of the problems I have suffered have been of my own making.

When installing anything take your time check everything that you do,be carful with addons they might not be all they seem they can be removed from the community folder but as anything gone into the registery that can cause problems.

I wish everyone with problems good luck and hope you get sorted.

Kind regards

Andrew

Edited by Apollo212

I also have only had one CTD since August of 2020. I have had several flights since the update, and not encountered any problems yet! My installation is completely stock, I have never had anything in my community folder. I do have the premium deluxe version.

My hunch is a lot of the issues are from folks with subtle problems in their system. For example, having too much drive space occupied is almost certain to cause problems. If you have your drive at 70% or greater occupied space, you are going to have problems. Laptops are problematic, even if very high spec, because they don't have the cooling capacity of a good tower. If the person has a prebuilt system they bought at Walmart, it probably does not have a good cooler as well. This sim is particularly sensitive to insufficient cooling, because the load is maintained at such a high level for so long, without the usual respite. Another common issue that many don't pay attention, is your memory cache. I run a memory cleaner (CCleaner) before each update. If you go to Yahoo or ABC News or The Weather Channel, you have picked up a ton of useless trash in your memory. If you don't regularly clean that crud out, your system becomes littered with file fragments which can create problems during updates. Don't remove ANYTHING from the installation. I don't care if you never use the Di-40 tdi, DON"T REMOVE IT!!! Again, if disk space is a problem, you are going to have a problem anyway! Even though the website says you can run MSFS from a hard disk, it is a very bad idea! Don't be the early downloader of updates. During the heavy crush of the first hours after release, you are more likely to get a corrupted download,. Hang back a day!! A lot of problems come from people doing complex things, like folks trying to run multiple screens or a myriad of controllers. Simple is to your benefit at this stage in the sim!!! I am sure there are a host of other problematic gremlins hiding in people's systems!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

...I found it better to install the sim on a separate drive to the OS just seems better and the community folder is easier to find,

I have pinned the Community folder to the Start Menu so it is only a click away.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I bought MSFS Premium Deluxe from the MS Store during the early purchase period. Before then I was flying Prepar3d v5.1. I have been flying the Microsoft Sims since MS95. I've been building my own Sim rigs since 1997. My system now: AMD 2700, 32GB ram, 2070GPU. WIN 10 20H1. Not top of the line, but no slouch. ALL apps and Windows kept up to date. Few problems with MSFS, even when others have had problems. However, like the OP. this last update to SU5, which I attempted after Windows update 07/27/21, I couldn't even load the Sim. Which had worked flawlessly before the WIN updated. It would just go to the Store. Period. now, the Store won't even update. So, those who are not having problems, great, but don't say just because you aren't, don't assume others aren't.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back in March or whenever it was that most people's FPS dropped into single figures, everyone with top end systems were saying "no problems here" and posting screenshots all over the place showing their 50-60fps over New York on Ultra. The boot's on the other foot now, which proves that what goes around, comes around.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Back in March or whenever it was that most people's FPS dropped into single figures, everyone with top end systems were saying "no problems here" and posting screenshots all over the place showing their 50-60fps over New York on Ultra. The boot's on the other foot now, which proves that what goes around, comes around.

It think the goal should have been for the boot's to be on both feet

As a matter of fact, I am getting 50-60 FPS over New York (and London, Paris, and San Francisco) on Ultra, post-SU5. Before SU5, I was gettiing 30-35 in those places. Good computer, but not what I would call high-end.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Edited by cobalt

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Be thankful you got your Alienware. I tried to get an Area 51 top end they had advertised. They pulled a bait and switch, so I cancelled my order and got my liquid cooled system I have now. It was a nightmare going through alienware, I'll never buy anything from them again, and had one of theirs once already. But the way they were with this last sale, sadly not at all. I'm sticking with Thermaltake from now on.

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

I went through Origin and have basically the same system as yours except for a 10900k on the cpu. They took forever but I am glad I went with them. Having built my on rigs in the past I went through it with a fine tooth comb and could not find a single build flaw. They even did a burn in and set the bios up correctly. Even if I had been a noob there would have been no problem. Literally plug and play

MSFS is a great sim and has worked for me from day 1 and every update has not caused any issues. Do not believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's not about anything we "read on the internet." This is from experience and mostly from people on forums like this that have experienced the same issues, no matter what kind of PC they have. MSFS2020 is chocked full of issues. I'm glad it works for you but you are one person and actually in the minority.

Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

I think JSkorna was being sarcastic.

Nonetheless, that is pretty much my experience. I have had a few elevation errors, some missing airports, and other things i would call annoyances, but just 1 CTD from the map; back early on.

I don 't think it is largely computer specs that are the problem, more computers that may have subtle issues such as storage devices too full (anything over 70% occupied is problematic during updates), complicated control devices, which create assignment conflicts when things change after an update, and trying to do things like move the files, or delete files, or create subdirectories.

I don't think the stats suggest i am in the minority. I think something like 25% of users are having significant problems after this update. Probably the vast majority of those are user created problems that could have been avoided by keeping the installation and devices simple.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Amen to this. A different thread on this forum, "This Update Has Been a Total Disaster" provides an interesting case history. Today, the OP who started the thread with the above title, reports that he has fixed the problem by making some adjustments in his settings following the hotfix. So for him, SU5 is not a disaster after all! There are surely some lessons to be learned here. Edited by cobalt

Amen to this. A different thread on this forum, "This Update Has Been a Total Disaster" provides an interesting case history. Today, the OP who started the thread with the above title, reports that he has fixed the problem by making some adjustments in his settings following the hotfix. So for him, SU5 is not a disaster after all! There are surely some lessons to be learned here.

I too have made a few changes in the CFG file that has offset some of the graphics degradation but I suspect there will be people who will leave this well alone for fear of doing some damage. Over the last week, I have spent more time trying to restore the look of the game as it was pre-SU5 than actually flying so I understand why there is frustration about. On the whole mine is looking pretty good now unless flying in dense built up areas such as London where many of the buildings don't form into the finished shapes, rather stay as blobs on the landscape right up close. I haven't seen an answer to this yet so hope the hotfix V2 fixes the problem.

I personally don't believe that editing the CFG file should be a necessary solution as that is beyond some people in either competence or confidence. More over, the more you mess with, the more you can end up chasing your tail resolving issues in the future.

System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

I believe the OP I quoted made changes in the MSFS Options, not in his .cfg file. He also emptied his Community folder of addons and gradually put them back in. I agree that messing with .cfg is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing.

It's not about anything we "read on the internet." This is from experience and mostly from people on forums like this that have experienced the same issues, no matter what kind of PC they have. MSFS2020 is chocked full of issues. I'm glad it works for you but you are one person and actually in the minority.

People without issues do not post about how great their sim is working, people with issues do, people that like to complain about anything do, and people that exaggerate do.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png