Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale...

Quote Originally Posted by natman1965 View Post
    Bug thread on official forum is now approaching 500 post. Makes me wonder if you are actually trying to use this software as a flight sim or if your just flying between the buildings from an outside view in NYC with an xbox controller. If the later then ya the sim works fine.
    For your info - did a flight in Carenado's Seminol today - nearly two hours of flying from Block Island, RI to Linden, New Jersey, on ULTRA passing New York City, real weather, all settings on ULTRA. Guess what - no issues. I'm using this as a sim and not the other way you were wondering - so guess that removes your little theory how I am using this program....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohn View Post
    For your info - did a flight in Carenado's Seminol today - nearly two hours of flying from Block Island, RI to Linden, New Jersey, on ULTRA passing New York City, real weather, all settings on ULTRA. Guess what - no issues. I'm using this as a sim and not the other way you were wondering - so guess that removes your little theory how I am using this program....
    I, also have had no problems running this simulator. I have had only one CTD since Christmas when I received this software as a Christmas gift. And that was in January. It has been very stable for me but I have an above average computer with a nice online bandwidth. Maybe that has something to do with your experience. People trying to run this software on less than adequate computer hardware/and or internet connection speeds .
    MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.3 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB Ram, 2 x 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drives, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfolsom View Post
    I, also have had no problems running this simulator. I have had only one CTD since Christmas when I received this software as a Christmas gift. And that was in January. It has been very stable for me but I have an above average computer with a nice online bandwidth. Maybe that has something to do with your experience. People trying to run this software on less than adequate computer hardware/and or internet connection speeds .
    I find that hard to believe oh wait, depends how often you ran the program I guess please, let's be honest OK?
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by usb777 View Post
    I find that hard to believe oh wait, depends how often you ran the program I guess please, let's be honest OK?
    I run the sim every day for more than 3 hours at a time and have had one CTD.

I have had the sim since about a week after first release.

I have had some issues, but not related to CTD. My issues were answered either by Zendesk or here and was back up and running with minimal down time. None of my issues were a result of the MSFS software. It was other things that needed attention or an adjustment in the options.

Hal
    Alienware Aurora R8, I7-9700K, 32g memory, 1t NVMe boot drive, 2 - 1t SSD for MSFS, 1t SAT drive for storage, RTX 2070 Super 8g,

Quote Originally Posted by usb777 View Post
    I don't care what you believe, or don't believe. I stand by my statement.
    MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.3 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB Ram, 2 x 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drives, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by markhoare View Post
    Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.
    I had no idea they allowed teenage trolls in this forum.

And I suppose this goes without saying since it applies to 99% of us, but SU5 with the hotfix is working flawlessly for me (the performance has improved by 30% to 50% for me) and I feel absolutely no temptation to reinstall any of the obsolete sims. But enjoy your trip back to the 20th Century my friend! Hopefully you're running the steam edition of FSX with the fixes and that you are using Windows XP with your FS9 installation. Otherwise I fear you'll soon be using FS2000.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markhoare View Post
    Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.
    Thanks. That’s been my plan all along.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Also have been able to use the sim somewhat problem free. My specs

32 ram
    2080 super
    ssd

The point is the flood of complaints are not spec specific. In fact the best gains have come with those of equivalent or below xbox specs. We cant just brush all of this aside by saying all the problems are from people trying to use week systems. Its just not true

Hi First of all can i just say my update installed without a a hitch, it was the so called Hotfix that gave me problems initially causing ctd's 2 to be exact I use a 4k smart tv and run the sin in Ultra and 4k,I am getting better frame rates than i could have imagined but they deteriorate fast in dense populated areas as you would expect in most systems,as point of ref i do have an above average PC with all the latest commponants ,i have not tweaked anything ,I really feel for the people that are having problems, but dissing the sim wont solve them, report the problems to the Zen desk or they will never know about peoples issues.Msfs2020 as without doubt got some problems.
    I would suggest to everyone don't fill your community folder with addons ,don't alter things in Nvidia control panel unless you know what your doing, even then a bit at a time ,make sure your system as good specs not just minimum ,have enough ram and a good PSU ,have a good HDD if not a SSD then the fastest possible ,if its not a steam version i have used steam for 16yrs but would not trust it with MSFS2020 . I found it better to install the sim on a seperate drive to the OS just seems better and the community folder is easier to find, make sure you have a good internet connection not wifi if possible but wired ,most people will probably be doing the things i have suggested i am no expert by any means but just trying to help those who are having difficulty, Almost everyone who is having problems is blaming the sim ,while its far from perfect if it was as broken as we are led to believe ,then i don't think it would work for anyone, I would say look to your hardware PC setting all updates ,ms store, windows, gpu, etc updates are important, I might be wrong but I dont think its good to run on a LAptop unless very high end.
    Much of what i have said is very much common sense and I am sure some of the people haveing problems are more experienced than me and i feel sorry for everyone having problems ,when i first got the sim i followed youtube videos to try and increase my fps a load of rubbish i soon found it is what it is i think if it cant be done within the sim then things should be altered with caution out of the sim.
    I am not an experienced simmer but never had any problems with installation, all updates have gone very smooth ,don't know if its location that as anything to do with it or not like people that live in a big city might have more trouble than someone like me that lives in a Rural location.I think it goes without saying a Stable internet connection is so important. Again a wired connection is better than wifi.
    At the end of the day I can only speak of my own personal experience with the sim and it as on the whole very good, and a lot of the problems I have suffered have been of my own making.
    When installing anything take your time check everything that you do,be carful with addons they might not be all they seem they can be removed from the community folder but as anything gone into the registery that can cause problems.
    I wish everyone with problems good luck and hope you get sorted.

Kind regards

Andrew
    Last edited by Apollo212; 08-03-2021 at 06:50 AM.

I also have only had one CTD since August of 2020. I have had several flights since the update, and not encountered any problems yet! My installation is completely stock, I have never had anything in my community folder. I do have the premium deluxe version.
    My hunch is a lot of the issues are from folks with subtle problems in their system. For example, having too much drive space occupied is almost certain to cause problems. If you have your drive at 70% or greater occupied space, you are going to have problems. Laptops are problematic, even if very high spec, because they don't have the cooling capacity of a good tower. If the person has a prebuilt system they bought at Walmart, it probably does not have a good cooler as well. This sim is particularly sensitive to insufficient cooling, because the load is maintained at such a high level for so long, without the usual respite. Another common issue that many don't pay attention, is your memory cache. I run a memory cleaner (CCleaner) before each update. If you go to Yahoo or ABC News or The Weather Channel, you have picked up a ton of useless trash in your memory. If you don't regularly clean that crud out, your system becomes littered with file fragments which can create problems during updates. Don't remove ANYTHING from the installation. I don't care if you never use the Di-40 tdi, DON"T REMOVE IT!!! Again, if disk space is a problem, you are going to have a problem anyway! Even though the website says you can run MSFS from a hard disk, it is a very bad idea! Don't be the early downloader of updates. During the heavy crush of the first hours after release, you are more likely to get a corrupted download,. Hang back a day!! A lot of problems come from people doing complex things, like folks trying to run multiple screens or a myriad of controllers. Simple is to your benefit at this stage in the sim!!! I am sure there are a host of other problematic gremlins hiding in people's systems!
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast