A cautionary tale...

Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.

You need to report this on the official forums here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/bugs-and-issues/performance/211

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi all,

Just a quick post to warn any potential buyers not to buy the the Microsoft/Asobo flight simulator. It is a total disaster. Sim update 5 has broken it completely. I removed the sim from my system and tried a reinstall and guess what, it won't even reinstall. The only possible way forward is to reinstall windows 10 from scratch and try again but even that might not work. So please be careful people, this sim is a total waste of money.

So it is back to FSX and my beloved FS9 which I will continue to use indefinitely. Microsoft and Asobo, you are a waste of space.

Ok, you talked me into it. I'll stick with FS9. lol

Mark Daniels

Ya I would agree at this point if your not using an Xbox and have game pass it probably should be avoided until things start getting ironed out.

In comparison (and I am not saying I am going back to xplane). I used xplane prior to this sim and kept watch on there forums. Over the course of there updates including the switch to Vulcan I never saw any where near the degree of complaints bugs.

Yes I know FS2020 is far more complex than xplane but on the other hand the resources that MS/ASOBO has at there disposable to get this thing right far exceeds that of Laminar/xplane.

Something is vary wrong here and I think its getting to the point that this sims reputation will start to precede itself leading to drastically reduced sales and eventual demise well before the ten year promise of development that ASOBO has planed

Thank you for the reply kind sir. I was really just venting my spleen at the developers. As more and more people turn away the reputation of microsoft/asobo with crash. I have tried all the fixes known to the internet over the last few days and have reached my limit. The very best of luck of to all those who can make it work,

But I am done with it.

“The very best of luck of to all those who can make it work”

Thank you :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thank you for the reply kind sir. I was really just venting my spleen at the developers. As more and more people turn away the reputation of microsoft/asobo with crash. I have tried all the fixes known to the internet over the last few days and have reached my limit. The very best of luck of to all those who can make it work,

But I am done with it.

I feel your pain. I was in the same boat as well. Uninstalled it, then could not get it even start, despite numerous fixies etc.

Only when the hot fix was released could I get it to start the download.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi all,

Even though I finally have gotten my '2020 to work for more than just a few minutes at a time (now I only suffer CTD only occasionally so far), I would agree. I have used Microsoft Flight Simulator since way back in FS4 days (that's pre - Information Superhighway) and I have never had even the remotest trouble as I have had with FS2020. I am planning on going back to FSX until Asobo starts to get their......Stuff together.

Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

Hi all,

MSFS is a great sim and has worked for me from day 1 and every update has not caused any issues. Do not believe everything you read on the Internet.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Sorry, I have to disagree. MFS works fine on my mid-range computer. I get an occasional stutter when starting a flight, but beyond that, I have good scenery and acceptable. Caveat, my simulator is stock other than the Working Title CJ4 amd G1000. I had to change a few control assignments but nothing I couldn't handle. My scenery is fine, and my fps a very acceptable 45 yo 60. I fly mostly ga aircraft low and slow. Nothing is overclocked.
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, GIGABYTE AMD Radeon 5700XT, 32mb DDR4 RAM @ 3600 mbs, Asrock X570 motherboard

No posts in these forums from the Original Poster asking for help, yet gripes about MSFS. Maybe if you asked the appropriate questions people get you to a better spot with your sim. How do we know you even own it? Only see posts from you about FS9. Me think just another fanboy here with wanting to gripe to the wrong forum about a sim they can't run on their weak machine.
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Hi all,

I've installed Windows 10 ONE TIME and installed MSFS ONE TIME. Both work just fine. It is a waste of time do a "fresh" install.

I gave up that re-install from scratch crap long ago.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hi Mark

Guess you are like me, and drop in here occasionally to see if things have improved any.

Afraid not, it is the same shambles it was when released. It works for some, heavens knows how, but the majority of us are expected to be beta testers.

Eventually, Microsoft will have to step in and develop it properly, that is if they don't just drop it like Flight and FSX.

Geoff

Hi Mark

Guess you are like me, and drop in here occasionally to see if things have improved any.

Afraid not, it is the same shambles it was when released. It works for some, heavens knows how, but the majority of us are expected to be beta testers.

Eventually, Microsoft will have to step in and develop it properly, that is if they don't just drop it like Flight and FSX.

Geoff

Is this to me or the OP? Both Mark.

Mark Daniels

IF you have (a) a reasonably good computer system and (b) patience and persistence when problems arise, go for it. MSFS2020 is without a doubt the most advanced flight sim ever created, and is becoming more so with time. If you don't, then best to stay away at least for a while. This is a 10-year project (as announced when it was released a year ago) and is not for everyone, but the rewards are fantastic if you stay with it and work through the issues.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-100700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Notice people that gripe NEVER post computer specs? Week PCs perhaps?

Bug thread on official forum is now approaching 500 post. Makes me wonder if you are actually trying to use this software as a flight sim or if your just flying between the buildings from an outside view in NYC with an xbox controller. If the later then ya the sim works fine.

I'm not sure if the previous post is directed to me, but for the record, I fly it as a simulator with full cockpit controls, ATC, the works. I do not own X-Box.

Let me say two more things. First the MSFS users who are enjoying good results with the latest update -- I am one of them -- need to appreciate that many people are not, and this should concern everybody. Second, the reverse is also true: those who are having major problems need to acknowledge that many others are not having problems. What everybody should want to know is, why such different experiences? It is a bit perplexing, though I think the differences in computer systems and setups account for some of it.

Edited by cobalt

Bug thread on official forum is now approaching 500 post. Makes me wonder if you are actually trying to use this software as a flight sim or if your just flying between the buildings from an outside view in NYC with an xbox controller. If the later then ya the sim works fine.

For your info - did a flight in Carenado's Seminol today - nearly two hours of flying from Block Island, RI to Linden, New Jersey, on ULTRA passing New York City, real weather, all settings on ULTRA. Guess what - no issues. I'm using this as a sim and not the other way you were wondering - so guess that removes your little theory how I am using this program....

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

For your info - did a flight in Carenado's Seminol today - nearly two hours of flying from Block Island, RI to Linden, New Jersey, on ULTRA passing New York City, real weather, all settings on ULTRA. Guess what - no issues. I'm using this as a sim and not the other way you were wondering - so guess that removes your little theory how I am using this program....

I, also have had no problems running this simulator. I have had only one CTD since Christmas when I received this software as a Christmas gift. And that was in January. It has been very stable for me but I have an above average computer with a nice online bandwidth. Maybe that has something to do with your experience. People trying to run this software on less than adequate computer hardware/and or internet connection speeds .

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I, also have had no problems running this simulator. I have had only one CTD since Christmas when I received this software as a Christmas gift. And that was in January. It has been very stable for me but I have an above average computer with a nice online bandwidth. Maybe that has something to do with your experience. People trying to run this software on less than adequate computer hardware/and or internet connection speeds .

I find that hard to believe oh wait, depends how often you ran the program I guess please, let's be honest OK?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I find that hard to believe oh wait, depends how often you ran the program I guess please, let's be honest OK?

I run the sim every day for more than 3 hours at a time and have had one CTD.

I have had the sim since about a week after first release.

I have had some issues, but not related to CTD. My issues were answered either by Zendesk or here and was back up and running with minimal down time. None of my issues were a result of the MSFS software. It was other things that needed attention or an adjustment in the options.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

I don't care what you believe, or don't believe. I stand by my statement.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.