Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update 5 download keeps locking up in Installation Manager

What is the DISM.exe?

It's a Microsoft tool for repairing windows update:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...-update-errors
    I use it every month or so, just in case. It works a treat, too.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

I have tried everyone's excellent suggestions, tried others found on other forums, nothing is working.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to help me get my sim installed. However, it is apparent that this is not going to work.

I am throwing in the towel, Microsoft has won. They have my $$$, they had my time.

Congrats MS, you've won.
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Sorry to hear that David, I hope you can re-install MSFS again sometime soon - good luck!
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Out of not wanting to give up, I decided to try one last time. This time I got a new message that there was a mandatory update waiting for me in the MS Store. Went there and of course, I was up to date.

So, I thought to myself, "Self, uninstall (again for the 56 time) and reload from the Store" which I did, it ran through the usual screen fairly fast (something it had not done since this nightmare began), and has allowed me to click the Update button! Now, it is going to 5mbits/second (on a 400 meg connection), however, due to EVERYONE downloading the patch etc., I am not complaining!!
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

WHAT a relief! Great job David, fingers crossed for you here.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post
    Just tried that, no good
    I have now tried most of the Zendesk advice without any luck. Still having to download very small chunks before the dreaded loop appears.

Not tried Netlimiter as I do not wish to pay for software which will only be used once. The free alternatives are far too technical at first glance. Why would I need to do this anyway when it was never an issue before?

Despite posting on four Facebook MSFS forums in addition to this one, nobody seems to have a reliable solution.

Even if I reinstall the sim (I have the dvd version) I am still faced with huge updates when presumably the looping issue will occur again?

THe only solution seems to be sticking with 2 or 3 updates at a time then rebooting/restarting the sim. This will take forever though.

Also why is this occuring just with this update 5 ? Some of the previous updates where pretty big and I never had any "looping" issues.

Still looking for a effective answer to my problem

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFoz View Post
    There's no definitive answer, if that's what you mean - everyone's setups are so different that what works for one person won't work for someone else.
    That makes it impossible to pin this issue down to someone's PC, their internet connection, their ISP or the Azure server network.
    Sometimes a download will start or restart for no apparent reason after days of trying everything.
    Unfortunately the only practical advice is to keep trying, sorry.

I am saddened that you do not have this fixed. I agree that we should not have to use a limiting software to download.

Have you tried, forums.microsoft.com? Not trying to chase you away, just offering another choice

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFoz View Post
    I have now tried most of the Zendesk advice without any luck. Still having to download very small chunks before the dreaded loop appears.

Not tried Netlimiter as I do not wish to pay for software which will only be used once. The free alternatives are far too technical at first glance. Why would I need to do this anyway when it was never an issue before?

Despite posting on four Facebook MSFS forums in addition to this one, nobody seems to have a reliable solution.

Even if I reinstall the sim (I have the dvd version) I am still faced with huge updates when presumably the looping issue will occur again?

THe only solution seems to be sticking with 2 or 3 updates at a time then rebooting/restarting the sim. This will take forever though.

Also why is this occuring just with this update 5 ? Some of the previous updates where pretty big and I never had any "looping" issues.

Netlimiter has a free trial period. I never paid for it. But if the problem happens again I might have to.

Pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12