I downloaded MSFS 2020 from Microsoft store. Every attempt to run ended in CTD at approx 50%.

I only have 8 GB RAM but thought it should at least load successfully. I have loaded recommended GPU AMD Radeon R7 M460, although that helped when down loading recent update, it still a bends CTD when I try to run. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to use FS9 some years ago, and have just re-activated my PC usage after a 2 year break.

I switched my PC off in Sep 2019, and only switched it on approx 1 week ago. I worked through many blue screen crashes until it now seem stable on Windows 10 Home Version 20H2.

Hi, welcome back to Flight Sim... even if you are having these problems.

There are several “fixes” online regarding ATIDX63.DLL (I haven’t checked the other one)

like this one... https://www.exefiles.com/en/dll/atidxx64-dll/

hopefully this will help.

If I was you though... I’d also be looking at getting some more ram. Although 8gb is the minimum, you really need 16gb at least.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

FYI,

When MSFS 2020 was introduced almost a year ago, Microsoft specs recommended 32 GB's of RAM to run it on a PC...

I too would recommend 32gb but the official line is 8gb minimum... 16gb recommended... 32gb “ideal”

There are many users who enjoy it with 16gb - probably not so many with 8gb though

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

What is the state of your storage device? Is it an HDD, SSD, or M.2? If it is more than 70% full, you are going to have problems. What is your CPU? Is that a laptop? If it is, do you have enough cooling to run this software? My hunch is, you have a lot of system drivers out of date, and that is your greatest problem.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks to Steve, UPHILL3 & plainsman for your input, I think my main problem is only 8gb RAM, I will pump it up to 16 gb to see if that will help. Having the computer off for 2 yrs didn't help !!, I have been slowly updating various drivers using Driver Booster 8. Free version only allows 1 update per day !

My Scottish heritage thinks I shouldn't have to purchase 3rd party software to solve problems. !!

I am also a PPL holder from UK. and Microlite licence on Jabiru here in OZ, sadly terminated by finance.

HP Pavilion All-in-One 27-r0xx, C:126.71 GB ssd, D: 983.07 GB, E: 17.13 GB all NTFS. Windows 10 Home

(x64),version 21H1.

The update on MSFS now requires very little RAM so I would of thought that 8gb should have you running on a game without addons, mine uses around 6gb with addons. I suspect the problem may be out of date drivers from what you say if your PC hasn't run for 2 years. Is your windows fully up to date? How about your GPU driver? It would be worth using the DDU software to uninstall the old one and reinstall the latest if not yet done so.

From another expired microlight pilot - Flash 2 alphas and an Xair!

Neil

System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Neil, I was beginning to to suspect my GPU and many thanks for your input ref DDU which I hadn't heard of. My history was M/F software not PC's which I find can be very unstable. But I just ran the DDU in safe mode and it WORKED, I have also just updated RAM to 16 GB and have run FS2020 successfully.

Many thanks, I now reside in Melbourne where we are in Covid lock down so have plenty of free time to explore FS2020

Don

Hi Don, glad you’ve got it working.. and have plenty of time to fly.

While I was furloughed last year because of Covid, I ended up buying three TVs.. Saitek panels.. new yoke... new PC...another yoke.... VR headset.... LOL

Happy Flying :)

Regards

Steve

...using Driver Booster 8. Free version .... Just a thought: drivers are best updated from the hardware vendor's site. (also allways free and unlimited updates) Free driver update software may fill your PC with 'floatware' 'bloatware' 'ransomware' 'spyware' and more presents which are very hard to delete afterwards...................

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg