Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Update Has Been a Total Disaster!

Angry This Update Has Been a Total Disaster!

I've added to a few other threads here, but might as well start my own.

Before the update, I was having plenty of CTD problems, but I was still able to enjoy the sim, once I accepted there were some things it would not do (e.g., load Vienna airport, any Alaska airport except Anchorage, etc.). As soon as I did the update, the sim was unusable. Totally.

Two major and constant problems:

1. "Freezes": that is, the screen freezes, and often the mouse cursor disappears, too. This happens at the Home screen, in the air, on the runway, utterly unpredictably. The good news is that it eventually unfreezes (at least so far), but this alone makes the sim unusable. I had never before seen this phenomenon in MSFS, or in its precursors, FSX and P3D.

2. CTDs. You might think these are related to denseness of scenery or something, but now they occur with regularity, and even on the runway in broad daylight. Every flight I've tried has terminated in a CTD!

In case you're wondering, I cleaned out my Community folder before I updated, so please don't tell me the problem is with add-ons. Also, on advice of 2 people on this forum yesterday (after my earlier complaint about the update), I uninstalled MSFS and did a clean reinstall from the store (took about 7 hours). After I rebooted and loaded MSFS this morning, it was just as bad as before the reinstall.

This update -- if not the entire enterprise – is a hot mess! My sense is that filing with Zendesk is a waste of time, and will result only in the robot's instructions to do stuff unrelated to the underlying outrage that has been foisted on us all.

I've been told my PC should be able to run this puppy, with sliders reasonably set, My specs:

i7-8700 3.7 GHz
    GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard
    AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard
    16GB RAM
    2 TB hard drive
    27” MSI gaming monitor

After reinstalling during last night, I have spent today experimenting with addons and various settings etc... although most of my time had been sat waiting for the load screen to move! I’ve had a few CTD’s but the most annoying thing is the long pauses. You can’t even force the sim to quit when this happens because the mouse disappears. Fortunately it unfreezes eventually as you say.

Apparently there’s a hotfix being released tomorrow. Let’s hope it does fix things.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I'm waiting for a good time to buy. This doesn't look like it. lol
    Mark Daniels

Go on Mark, you know you want to. You might even get it for a special price

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Quote Originally Posted by g7rta View Post
    Go on Mark, you know you want to. You might even get it for a special price

Regards
    Steve
    Steve,
    Atm they would need to put money in my account.
    Think I'll wait a little longer.
    Mark Daniels

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by g7rta View Post
    After reinstalling during last night, I have spent today experimenting with addons and various settings etc... although most of my time had been sat waiting for the load screen to move! I’ve had a few CTD’s but the most annoying thing is the long pauses. You can’t even force the sim to quit when this happens because the mouse disappears. Fortunately it unfreezes eventually as you say.

Apparently there’s a hotfix being released tomorrow. Let’s hope it does fix things.

Regards
    Steve
    Steve,

I know you are a faithful contributor here, and I am pleased to hear that I am no worse off than you. Let's hope there's a "hotfix," although I suspect it will make things worse.

Update on my own situation: Incredibly (!), having lost all hope, I just flew from BIRK to BIKR (that's Iceland) into the midnight sun. No CTD! Freeze on runway, but that unfroze in due course. Then I went to Main Menu, and loaded KPGA, set to KLAS. Two freeze/unfreezes until I saved the .FLT and shut down. Still, that's better than CTDs.

And yet, another grumbling comment. The famed Horseshoe Bend west of KPGA used to look pretty good in MSFS. It is now completely corrupted, and the surrounding terrain has these queer orange blotches on the escarpments. They were not there before. Go figure.

Finally: what's with these blue highlights on the panel? As I've said in another post, Why oh why can't they leave the well enough alone? I suspect I can learn to live with the blue knobs, but I also strongly suspect that every time they introduce such an unnecessary tweak, they compromise something important. Hence this disaster of an update.

Mac6737

Hi Mac, you can read the hotfix release notes here...
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...t-update/43004

We can only hope it fixes things. They’ve clearly been busy trying to sort it anyway. As for the annoying blue highlighting... go into the general options..click on the accessibility tab... & change “cockpit interaction system” from Lock to “Legacy” – that will fix it.
    I don’t know why they had to mess with it in the first place, but I think it’s for the Xbox users.

Regards
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    Finally: what's with these blue highlights on the panel? As I've said in another post, Why oh why can't they leave the well enough alone? I suspect I can learn to live with the blue knobs, but I also strongly suspect that every time they introduce such an unnecessary tweak, they compromise something important. Hence this disaster of an update.

Mac6737
    Easy to turn this "Feature" off. Why they made it default to irritate unsuspecting peeps I don't know

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

[QUOTE=dogdish;2161820]Easy to turn this "Feature" off. Why they made it default to irritate unsuspecting peeps I don't know

The unsuspecting peeps are the ones who never read the release notes and just jump right in, then complain that everything's broken. All the changes are explained in the release notes here:
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...box-game-pass/
    Even more importantly, all of the known issues are explained here:
    https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...-July-13-2021-
    Why oh why can't flight simmers look before they leap?
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

[QUOTE=tiger1962;2161822]
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    Easy to turn this "Feature" off. Why they made it default to irritate unsuspecting peeps I don't know

The unsuspecting peeps are the ones who never read the release notes and just jump right in, then complain that everything's broken. All the changes are explained in the release notes here:
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...box-game-pass/
    Even more importantly, all of the known issues are explained here:
    https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...-July-13-2021-
    Why oh why can't flight simmers look before they leap?
    Of course, of course--the problem is with us the community of users--not with the company that has strung us along for a year before release to almost a year after release with promises to deliver something it knows it doesn't have---a usable sim.

We have, in this "update" what we have always gotten-- a huge downgrade in graphics quality which is touted as a "performance enhancement"

And please, I know that there are those for whom this is "good enough" or those that are sure it will be fixed one day (based on what evidence-certainly not history) There are even those who say "It is only one year after release how dare we expect it to function as a flight simulator."

I would just point out to them that they have their standards and we have ours.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast