bbosen

Yes, that's my web site about my flight sim named "Linux Air Combat". I was hoping this forum would have a specific area for LINUX-based flight sims. Is there enough interest to justify that?

• 3 months later...

Linux Air Combat ("LAC") has recently been improved.

In addition to the traditional installation options or compiling from the source code, it is now available as an "AppImage", which makes it a lot easier to obtain and test LINUX applications without compiling them.

Our new AppImage is a precompiled, executable binary program that launches Linux Air Combat Version 8.51 from a self-contained, self-extracting, multi-file archive containing all prerequisites. It is configured according to the well-known "AppImage" conventions for (almost) universal compatibility among many popular LINUX distros using industry-standard "x86" architecture. Accordingly, if you just want to run LAC without compiling it, this is probably your best, simplest option. Just download it, mark it as "executable" according to well-known LINUX norms, and then execute it. If your hardware is based on x86 architecture and if your LINUX distro is "mainstream" and has been updated since about December of 2020, it will start right up! This makes the LINUX flight sim experience a lot like the flight sim experience long enjoyed by Windows users, regardless of the desktop Linux distribution in use.

Download the LAC AppImage here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxaircombat/files/Choose%20Your%20Platform/Precompiled%20binaries%20%28no%20source%20code%29/

i recently installed Linux Zorin on a few Netbooks, reason being I read Zorin is similar to Windows plus it connected straight away to the internet unlike Windows7 Starter.

I was going to ask I read there are numerous versions of Linux so which version is best in your opinion to run Flight Sim if it will that is?

I have another laptop more capable of running games and I was thinking of trying Linux on it.

Col.

• 4 weeks later...

Zorin OS is Ubuntu-based. It should run this game since in the ReadMe it states an OS with updates from 2020 and if the Distro is mainstream. Zorin OS is not exactly mainstream (at least not now anyway), but Ubuntu is.

I wouldn't try running it on a Netbook though. I have a Dell Mini 910 and while it's great for certain tasks, even some heavy JS laden webpages will make the thing seem like a Casio calculator watch.

I have Zorin OS in VMware and it seem like a nice OS. But I'm not sure if it's the virtual environment or not, but the Store has been giving me issues as well as the installed programs. In once case I installed MyMonero. It works, but a pop up always shows up about some crap that I have to close out. Some programs take foooorever to download and install. I'm wanting this to work, so I'll try it using Ventoy and a USB stick in live boot environment. ANd if that too has suckery I'll move to a hard drive install on one of my hard drives.

Thing is, I don't think Linux is really meant for an everyday OS. It is for purpose-built stuff or small home and office where you're doing nothing but browser and office Apping. Where Linux shines is for the server or niche stuff like Raspberry PIs and what not.

It is a very nice OS for ethical hacking and what not though. 99% of a lot of cool stuff is at Github and will only run in Linux. Well, there's an "emulator" for Windows like Wine in Linux, and I think you can run Python and Peril in Windows, so there's that. Even then, I'd go Mac. LOL!

P.S.

It's funny, because I remember a similar project back in the day when Zorin OS came out called Freespire. And if memory serves me, it was Freespire that was installed to cheap Walmart computers. LOL I can't even imagine the customer support nightmare...

P.P.S.

Ah, here we go: https://www.linux.com/topic/distributions/freespire-linux-great-desktop-open-source-purist/

Dated article, but it tells you everything. My question is: how long will Zorin OS last? I'm tempted to say you're better off with Qubes if you use the right hardware. But that can be a cluster and three fifths.... worth of jack and Tylenol. HAHA

P.P.P.S

I actually have Distros here I bought from France! LOL At the time I was on dial-up and only got my high speed Internet sleuthing around the back of an Office Depot dumpster. HAHA So downloading a Distro was out of the question. I still have the Tropix CD. I have another to create a cluster computing environment. Now-a-days you just spin up an AWS instance. Unreal! And Kubernetes? 'Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye, bye.' (Awesome freaking line).

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

• 1 year later...
i recently installed Linux Zorin on a few Netbooks, reason being I read Zorin is similar to Windows plus it connected straight away to the internet unlike Windows7 Starter.

I was going to ask I read there are numerous versions of Linux so which version is best in your opinion to run Flight Sim if it will that is?

I have another laptop more capable of running games and I was thinking of trying Linux on it.

Col.

I have not tried LAC on Linux Zorin. However, the AppImage of Linux Air Combat is known to work on all of these distros:

PcLinuxOs,

Ubuntu,

Debian,

Manjaro,

MX Linux,

Arch,

Arch on Steam Deck,

Fedora,

PopOs,

Linux Mint,

Open SUSE,

EndeavorOS,

Garuda.

CRJ_simpilot's comments about LINUXes hosting flight simulators like LAC are spot-on. The odds are good that LAC will run on Zorin OS (based only on the widespread success with other versions of desktop LINUX) but you won't know for sure until you try.

As for my preferred version of desktop LINUX for use with Linux Air Combat, most people are using Ubuntu, but my favorite at the moment is Manjaro. From time to time PcLinuxOs surpasses Manjaro as my favorite, but it isn't as nice as Manjaro right now IMHO.

As for running LAC on a Netbook, you'll probably be fine. I run it on a netbook (X86 LeNovo "EduSeries" with Intel integrated graphics and 10" display) at 1280x720 resolution with medium detail and I still get smooth, 60FPS graphics about 95% of the time. You might need to diminish the "VIEW" distance setting. On my big desktop machine I usually run this at 180 or higher, but on my NetBook or on a Raspberry Pi I diminish it down to 110 in order to maintain 59 or 60 FPS.

The current version of LAC is 8.95 as of Jan2023.

I hope this helps!