Finally got problems after July 27 Update

My relatively trouble-free journey with MSFS finally ended for the first time. After latest update every flight crashes after about 5 minutes. I have never had any CTD's before, Community folder is cleared, nothing else has changed. I don't think this problem is unique to me, as I see that numerous people are reporting the identical problem in MSFS discussions on Steam.

John O.

I was about to try again on my PC with MSFS. But I am looking for clues because I don't have much to go by. Mine is installed from Steam which had been usually trouble-free. This time (this was Tuesday evening), Steam did an update before launching MSFS. Not big just a couple of minutes. The MSFS started, check for updates and then informed of a mandatory update and suggested that it would be around 40 Gb with a net increase of file size of 21 GB. I don't recall it ever giving that kind of estimate before. I started the updates and then let it run unattended for several hours as I went to bed. When I got back just the Steam window was open. I tried to run MSFS. It showed the usual startup screens, then went to a picture of a small plane over a field, then started up the check for updates, then it crashed. I tried a couple times, once after closing all windows and doing a reboot. Same result a crash every time before getting to a screen where I can do anything. By the way I am calling it a crash but what happens is the Flight Simulator window just vanishes.

So I'm trying to figure out what to try. The last option would be to do a reinstall. I do NOT want to go thru all that. And it should not be necessary. I am off to try something. I can find and empty out the Community folder, but I don't see how anything in Community could affect the startup.

Pat

I was about to try again on my PC with MSFS. But I am looking for clues because I don't have much to go by. Mine is installed from Steam which had been usually trouble-free. This time (this was Tuesday evening), Steam did an update before launching MSFS. Not big just a couple of minutes. The MSFS started, check for updates and then informed of a mandatory update and suggested that it would be around 40 Gb with a net increase of file size of 21 GB. I don't recall it ever giving that kind of estimate before. I started the updates and then let it run unattended for several hours as I went to bed. When I got back just the Steam window was open. I tried to run MSFS. It showed the usual startup screens, then went to a picture of a small plane over a field, then started up the check for updates, then it crashed. I tried a couple times, once after closing all windows and doing a reboot. Same result a crash every time before getting to a screen where I can do anything. By the way I am calling it a crash but what happens is the Flight Simulator window just vanishes.

So I'm trying to figure out what to try. The last option would be to do a reinstall. I do NOT want to go thru all that. And it should not be necessary. I am off to try something. I can find and empty out the Community folder, but I don't see how anything in Community could affect the startup.

Pat

I am not an expert but no doubt, reading many post here and elsewhere, that the addons in the community folder are normally the problem and it is best to empty it before and update.

the same, first real problem with this update.... so I completely reinstalled it. it fires up checks for updates you can plan a flight on the map and press start only halfway through loading it freezes! imo it is far worst than ever now, the optimization may work at the ASOBOS end but certainly not this end! Instead of worrying about it I'm just going to delete it. and enjoy a weekend of playing games that actually work right out of the box.... I don't have the energy to try and work out what's wrong, ASOBO what the hell are you playing at! for me it seems to be the UK map If i plan a flight on the map anywhere around London the sim freezes on loading the flight... If I click a random place on the map say Africa it works fine for a few mins then freezes...... Time to put it to sleep until adobo fixes it all... It all worked perfectly until this update and that is absolutely ridiculous by any standards.....

EDIT:-> I've had the sim for almost a year now I've spent a fortune in upgrades only for ASOBO to optimizes the software making most of the upgrades pointless as far as MSFS is now concerned. I have like others spent many many hours ok DAYS trying to get the sim to work. The last few mandatory updates have been good with little to no problems for the end-user. I've enjoyed months of trouble free-flying, just a bit taxing in VR ie stuttering but as far as I'm concerned that is down to third party software namely Mixed Reality Portal, it sucks the life out of the system! and now I have half a sim now that's optimization.... So enough is enough I feel very disappointed after spending a fortune in money and brain hours just trying to fly in which ASOBO have repeatedly compounded the problem with update after update presenting new bugs and problems. I now don't think they are very professional and their work is very very shoddy to be polite. from day one with MSFS it's been a long-living nightmare. So enough is enough until ASOBO deliver a sim that actually works as it should and produce updates that fix the previous problem instead of producing new problems I'm out! taking a back seat! My mental health has reached it's limits with this software for now, taking a back seat...........

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Again a year old now and still not sorted out the scenery cliches "Car flying OVER Brooklyn Bridge" not on it! they have done nothing to tweak these very annoying scenery glitches since day one! there's a saying and is true today "The devil is in the detail" !!!!!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I am not an expert but no doubt, reading many post here and elsewhere, that the addons in the community folder are normally the problem and it is best to empty it before and update.

Sorry, but if you look at many posts in this and other forums you will find that addons are very often not the problem. I am one of those who was unable to load the latest update even with an empty Community folder, because the update process would hang when a file got into an endless loop. I eventually succeeded after two days of fooling with deleting update folders in OneStore and re-starting. This had nothing to do with addons.

I am one of those who was unable to load the latest update even with an empty Community folder, because the update process would hang when a file got into an endless loop. I eventually succeeded after two days of fooling with deleting update folders in OneStore and re-starting. This had nothing to do with addons.

That's a very good tip for anyone with the same issue, cobalt. And the official forums are awash with unable to launch and CTD complaints. Asobo are now actively working on a hotfix as mentioned at the end of this (unrelated) announcement: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/policy-on-name-calling-harassment-and-threats/429789

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

My initial D/L from MS Store presented several problems when running FS2020 from a frozen ATC window to loss of control and so on. Now that I have the mandatory update from 27 July, I'm experiencing the program closing during a flight and stopping the pgm loading process in the middle.

Thank heaven I have FSX!

My initial D/L from MS Store presented several problems when running FS2020 from a frozen ATC window to loss of control and so on. Now that I have the mandatory update from 27 July, I'm experiencing the program closing during a flight and stopping the pgm loading process in the middle.

Thank heaven I have FSX!

Do you also have any addons for MSFS.. mainly in the community folder? I removed all mine yesterday as MSFS was taking an age to load.. and then CTDs too.

I’m slowly putting things back in and testing it. Just Flight’s Piper aircraft.. all ok.

Honeycomb “AFC Bridge” not ok

I use SIM EFB for displaying moving maps in VR - again not ok

Presumably it’s things like modules that cause the sim to crash.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I emptied the Community folder, even though I don't think it affects the loading of the sim to get to the main screen. It made no difference. It jumps briefly to a screen with an announcement about the new version with Xbox, then the window just vanishes. So I'm stumped at this point. Very reluctant to go thru a re-install unless it is the only solution.

Pat

Sorry, but if you look at many posts in this and other forums you will find that addons are very often not the problem. I am one of those who was unable to load the latest update even with an empty Community folder, because the update process would hang when a file got into an endless loop. I eventually succeeded after two days of fooling with deleting update folders in OneStore and re-starting. This had nothing to do with addons.

Just saying some problems are to do with not emptying the community and it's easy enough to try and see if it does the trick.

the official forums are awash with unable to launch and CTD complaints. Asobo are now actively working on a hotfix as mentioned at the end of this (unrelated) announcement: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/policy-on-name-calling-harassment-and-threats/429789

As stated somewhere else, I turned off AI traffic and haven't had any CTD since, so I am relatively at peace until the fix is released.

That aside, I can't help finding bizarre (or funny if you prefer) the kind of "unrelated" message they chose to insert the announcement... :rolleyes:

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Just saying some problems are to do with not emptying the community and it's easy enough to try and see if it does the trick.

You had said that "the addons in the community folder are normally the problem" (boldface added). I do not think this is true. "Some" might be a fair statement, though I would say it's probably very few.

Similar issues to other here. Since the 27th July update (which was very slow to download and took hours) MSFS seems to crash after just a few minutes. Then I also started to notice a bunch of other odd things. Various settings have changed without me doing them. The "toggle hand-brake" assignment was malfunctioning, menus were appearing without my asking for them. Next, I found that Market Place was grayed-out and my photometry had gone (so I was stuck with the cardboard buildings and non-real field boundaries etc). Then I started to get errors about "being unable to connect". I've been trying to sort this out when today (30/7) another mandatory update appeared. When I tried to install that, the game just bombed-out and left me with an MS home page of somekind. So, it wouldn't work at all. (I've been through all the usual multiple steps to try to solve crashing - updating all the drivers etc too of course - to no avail). Eventually, after several attempts I got in, but was warned "can not connect - go offline?" - so I chose the "offline" option, and now it seems to work and has stopped crashing. Obviously I have lost the photomentry and market place and live-AI and all the rest, but at least I can use it. My conclusion is that the underlying problem is something to do with the connection to the servers, running it offline seems to work. Far from ideal, but at least I can use it for a bit and maybe a more stable update will be realesed soon. Who knows . . .