An Oldie I walked away from long ago. Could not get it to fly right until today! MD11

2021-7-28_20-34-1-90.jpg

Here's what I ended up doing to get this to fly right! So far so good, will fly some more!

Payload, reduced all items by 20%. Helped, but still not right. Just about deleted the whole aircraft to File 13!

Eliminated Center 2 and Center 3 fuel tanks, 16,685 gals in fuel X 6.7 = 111,789.50 Lbs (a flying refinery I tell you???}

Total weight I got rid of:

Fuel 111,789.50 lbs

Payload 11,302.00 lbs

Total 123,091.50 lbs

No wonder I have lost most of my hair on the top side!:rolleyes: All that scratching!

So far, the aircraft is flying good! Just a little touchy on the right sequence of deployment of flaps and lowering of the gear. I think I've got it now, but we will see!

Rick :cool::cool:

Well done Rick, whenever I get one that won't fly right I look for another same model and swap the cfg and air files about, most times it works, other times needs more tweaking.

The reason I do that is I'm hopeless a figures and find it easier to just swap things about.

Col.

Well done Rick, whenever I get one that won't fly right I look for another same model and swap the cfg and air files about, most times it works, other times needs more tweaking.

The reason I do that is I'm hopeless a figures and find it easier to just swap things about.

Col.

Yep, me too, Col! Air files, sometimes do make the difference, BUT, you can change air files all day long, but, if the developer loaded up the aircraft with fuel, the problem remains the same! Also, they load up the aircraft with passengers. Sorry to say, I don't need a "Full House," send some back to the terminal!:rolleyes: I need an aircraft that will fly! This one just about didn't make it to my liking, but, it's turned out to be a nice flier for me!

Thanks Col, and have a super day!

Hi Rick,

What I meant was find another DC-10, then with the one you want to keep save the contact points and lights section then take out the parts from the new one you have found.

I have often found that works, I add the air file from the new one, but a good all round air file funny enough is the default B737, that works with a lot of aircraft including props. If you look at CalClassic aircraft the air file is the default 737.

I have at times used parts of FSX cfg files for FS9 aircraft and visa-versa.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

............... but a good all round air file funny enough is the default B737, that works with a lot of aircraft including props. If you look at CalClassic aircraft the air file is the default 737.

Col, that is good to know, thanks!

Just this morning, I also had a problem with a DC-10, it had one additioinal center tank with 11,276 gals that I "silenced" out to get it flying the way it should! Oh well, good to go now!

Edited by Downwind66

I agree Larry, when I worked at the airport for some reason those things always seemed enormous and kind of majestic as they taxiid, I think it was that big engine on the tail.

Came back to add: When Laker finished I saw the last of his DC-10's go, the pilot got permission to do a low level fly past, I saw it coming in and it was about 60-100 feet above the runway, with gear up and flew right along then climbed out, it was a great sight.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Thanks Larry! Yes, agree, I like them too, but, I guess they and the DC-10's have had some negative history to them. Shame, they are very majestic, as Col put it!

It took me a while to get this one going, I guess they can't all be cooperative! It's now a keeper, well a flying keeper! It been sitting there tempting

me to find out if I could fix it. Kind of like riding a bucking Bronco!

Thanks guys! - Rick :cool::cool:

Eliminated Center 2 and Center 3 fuel tanks, 16,685 gals in fuel X 6.7 = 111,789.50 Lbs (a flying refinery I tell you???}

Bit off piste, that fuel load is nothing compared to the 559,937 lb of fuel an A380 carries!

Edited by PAULCRAIG