Working Title G1000 NXi, anybody tried it yet?

I downloaded this modification directly from the MSFS marketplace yesterday, after installing the 7/27/21 update, AKA sim update 5. It downloaded into the "packages\official" folder as opposed to the community folder, where you would normally put add-ons. I checked out this modification in the Beech Bonanza but couldn't make out what's different from the default G1000. I believe this mod (apparently now "official") is supposed to enable VNAV/VPATH or whatever you call it on final when you fly an RNAV approach to an airport that lacks an ILS system. Has anybody tried this yet? I tried to create a flight plan within the presumably modified G1000, but had no more success--that is to say none--than when I tried to do this with the default G1000.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

A little Google research turned up a review and video of the Working Title G1000 NXi. Per the review, its features are not fully populated yet. The accompanying video teased features that will be forthcoming in periodic updates--VNAV, VPTH, and so forth, as demonstrated in an RNAV approach to Reagan National Airport, through a cloud deck. All very impressive and exciting, but it's not working in MSFS yet, unless maybe you're a beta-tester. I tried flying a VNAV approach to RWY 10R at Monterey, with all final waypoints, intersections, whatever from the flight plan I "filed" on the World Map loaded into the new, improved Garmin 1000. I flew on autopilot. I reached the first approach-plate intersection at the minimum prescribed altitude of 2,600 feet, but when I tried to activate the approach, the G36 stayed level at 2,600 ft. Seeing there was no way I was gonna get down to the runway in time, I disengaged the AP and went around. I was flying at dusk, which made for a pretty picture...

KMRY go-around at dusk.jpg

And the landing was almost picture perfect as well.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
Rather carelessly I installed G1000 NXi without first uninstalling G1000. So now I have a mess. I would be very grateful for simple instructions on how to uninstall both and then install G1000 NXi.

Thanks

Robert

Not sure what your mess is. Can you describe it? If the sim is still otherwise running okay (no eruption of CTDs), I'm assuming your "mess" has something to do with the Nxi not performing as you expect, based on your experience with the G1000. If that's the case, it has nothing to do with how you installed the NXi. It has everything to do with the NXi being an early release from Working Title. They're essentially still beta testing and perfecting it. If your problem is with the way the NXi works, or doesn't, go to this thread over at the official MSFS flight simulation forums, where you'll an ongoing discussion of all things related G1000 NXi issues and behavior.

For clarification, The "stock" G1000 is the default Garmin for the C 172 Global, the G36, and so forth. It's in the MSFS "official" folder. The G1000 NXi is an optional download available in your content manager. When you download and install the NXi in your content manger, it automatically supplants the G1000. If you remove/uninstall the NXi in your content manager, the sim automatically reverts to the stock G1000. Meanwhile, the NXi will remain in your content manager as an "uninstalled" option that you can download/reinstall anytime you want to go back to it. You do not need to remove the G1000 in that case. The NXi will just supplant it again.

In any event, what is the nature of your "mess"?

Aptosflier, I assumed the ‘mess’ was a result of having the NXi on top of the stock G1000 because I had found some sites saying that one had to removed the latter first. But your helpful response (thanks) suggests that I do not need to do this.

Mess as follows: cannot always follow GPS flight plan or heading, altitude setting inclined to lock and cannot be altered (but not always). GOTO works most of the time. AP actually only works intermittently – sometimes it does, sometime it doesn’t, but always with the problems described. Interestingly I also have a Bravo quadrant with all the AP buttons and switches correctly bound. But cannot operate AP from there at all at present. All I get is the VS light permanently on. Quadrant use a minor inconvenience - obviously all the buttons are on screen.

Robert

Aptosflier, I assumed the ‘mess’ was a result of having the NXi on top of the stock G1000 because I had found some sites saying that one had to removed the latter first. But your helpful response (thanks) suggests that I do not need to do this.

Mess as follows: cannot always follow GPS flight plan or heading, altitude setting inclined to lock and cannot be altered (but not always). GOTO works most of the time. AP actually only works intermittently – sometimes it does, sometime it doesn’t, but always with the problems described. Interestingly I also have a Bravo quadrant with all the AP buttons and switches correctly bound. But cannot operate AP from there at all at present. All I get is the VS light permanently on. Quadrant use a minor inconvenience - obviously all the buttons are on screen.

Robert

I do my autopilot settings through a Logitech Multipanel. The G1000 NXi's latest iteration has also impacted its operation. As originally released in the MSFS marketplace as a free upgrade (once installed, it becomes part of your content manager), the NXi had a problem with ILS approaches. The CDI did not switch automatically from GPS (magenta) to LOC (green) on final. When I switched the CDI manually, it turned green, but the LOC arrow would be 90 degrees off course and the autopilot would follow it. I learned about a workaround for that issue from folks over at the official MSFS forum. Working Title fixed that issue in its last update to the NXi. Now the CDI changes automatically from GPS to LOC at the start of a final ILS approach. But whatever they did disabled my Logitech's ALT function, freezing it at 99,999 ft. as soon as I "got into" the cockpit. (Matt, a helpful Working Title representative who authored, monitors, and frequently joins the NXi discussion thread above, explained the issue to me, but the solution was too technical for my 76-year-old gray matter.) The workaround for this issue was to ignore the multipanel's frozen ALT setting and manage the AP's ALT setting by mousing the sim's virtual knobs. The VS and HDG knobs on my multipanel still work. (I've never used the other ones.) The NAV button also works. The APR button is a bit dodgy. I've been ignoring it and clicking the sim panel's APR button. And of course, there is no VNAV button on my Logitech, so I click the VNAV button in the sim.

I've looked at the Bravo quadrant online. I see that it has the same AP setting buttons as the multipanel. But unlike the Bravo, the multipanel has an LED display, which at least gives me some visibility into what's going on (or not) between my hardware and software.

The thing to understand about Working Title's NXi (which I didn't at first), is that it is not a finished product yet. Asobo's "stock" G1000 is still the default panel, and you can revert to it anytime you want by removing the NXi in your content manager. In effect, Working Title -- in cooperation with Asobo -- is running a massive beta-testing program, noting problems that we report to them (or complain about at the other forum), and instituting fixes as they go. Working Title's Matt has promised that Working Title will fix the ALT issue I've noted after ASOBO releases Sim Update 6 (not to be confused with World Updates, which use Roman numerals).