Problem with 2021-07-27 MSFS update ???

Was able to get the MS Store portion, but launched the game and have been staring at a black screen for the past 20 minutes, CPU usage is at 8%

Had the circular icon at the bottom right, but it has been gone for the past 15 minutes.

Sigh :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

With everyone and their uncle downloading this huge update......the servers are going buggers. :rolleyes:

Hmm, good point :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Davidc2,

This has happened to me in the past (probably 3-4 times) and each time I follow the Zendesk advice (see below) and it solves the problem. It always seems to be after/during an update.

Today, I am having a problem maintaining a connection to complete my update, but it's likely the load on the servers.

In terms of your issue, I have only had to go as far as the steps prior to “TROUBLESHOOTING” and then ran it as the “Administrator”.

Tim

Community add-ons

Do not create subfolders in the Community repository. When unzipping and installing community content, make sure to follow the instructions of the content developer.

If you’re unsure what add-on is causing the problem we recommend removing all content from the Community folder and adding the add-ons one by one to find the add-on responsible.

Be aware that installing many Community add-ons (sceneries, liveries, etc…) will increase the loading times.

The issue appears after a Windows 10 updates

If the problem starts after installing a Windows update, uninstall the update to try to resolve the issue.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View your update history > Uninstall updates.

View update history settings

Right-click the update you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

Unplug your USB devices

Unplug any non-essential (or ALL) USB devices that may be plugged in. Once in-game, plug your USB devices again.

Enable PC games to connect to Xbox Live

(Re) Install Xbox Identity Provider from this page 6

Reboot your computer

If the problem persists after that, please do the following:

TROUBLESHOOTING

1. Run Microsoft Flight Simulator as Admin

To do so, type “Flight simulator” in the Windows search bar then select “Run as administrator” in the menu.

2. (If missing) Install the English (United States) Language Package and reboot your computer

Microsoft Flight Simulator requires the English (United States) Language Package. To install a new language pack on your system, follow this link: Language packs for Windows 2

3. Download and install the Xbox (beta) app

To Download & Install the Xbox app, click here 2

Reboot your computer

Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from the Xbox app

4. Issues caused by sound drivers

Change your Sound Output to your Monitor. Later in-game you can switch back any output you want.

Alternatively:

Disable Nahimic service in Start Up Task Manager while performing a clean boot – To do so, simply follow the instructions from the Microsoft help-center: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 2

Disable Nvidia Sound devices.

5. Deactivate Windows Defender and/or your firewall

Open Start. . …

Open Settings. . …

Click. Update & Security. …

Click Windows Security. This tab is in the upper-left side of the window.

Click Virus & threat protection. …

Click Virus & threat protection settings. …

Disable Windows Defender’s real-time scanning.

Set game priority to high

Turn off any overlays

6. Check that your antivirus is not causing a conflict with the game

Sample of Virus checkers that have been known to prevent games and apps from launching:

Kaspersky

Trend Micro Maximum Security

Comodo Antivirus

Sophos

Emisoft Anti-Malware

Avira

Avast

If your antivirus falsely flagged Microsoft Flight Simulator, remove the file from quarantine then whitelist Microsoft Flight Simulator. To do so follow the instructions from your antivirus manufacturer.

7. Reinstall the App from the Microsoft Store

To do so, type “Flight simulator” in the Windows search bar then select “Uninstall” in the menu. Click twice.

Open the Windows Store app

Go to My library, search for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Click install

8. Additional troubleshooting

Make sure Windows has the latest updates: Select Start , then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates.

Follow this guide How to troubleshoot crashes & CTDs at the loading screen 1.

Finally, we recommend visiting the official forums and joining our official Discord channel where our growing community of simmers is gathering additional solutions to uncommon problems.

My system specs:

W10 64 Bit OEM Version 2004 (19041.685)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E; 32GB RAM

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700KF 8-Core/8-Thread Processor

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 8GB

I've been chugging along at a steady 30-75 Mb/s. Checked my DL speed yesterday and it's rating as over 250Mb/s. So, it's probably the server being hit hard. But, my speed is consistant, just slow. 78 minutes, just passed 50%.

I'm not worried. Never had any problems - knock, knock.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

I think it is the server being hit VERY hard. I finally got the screen to change, now it's telling me no online connection, lol (which I did check)

Just going to leave it alone and wait

I think it is the server being hit VERY hard. I finally got the screen to change, now it's telling me no online connection, lol (which I did check)

It gave me the same no internet connection message at first too, but after a minute or two it sorted itself out.

Finally finished the update after a couple of hours. Wasn't expecting it today but it was over 40 gig on the standard version.

New user interactions menu items on the world page, the labels in the aircraft are huge (gonna try a smaller font).

the Cessna does seem smoother but it crash when trying to load a flight plan.

I'll see how it reacts as I go deeper into the sim.

It is loading faster.

Dave

Edited by dashort3

I won't be downloading the PC update for a day or two. I've installed the Base sim on my Xbox Series X in about 1hr 40mins, just installed Deluxe and Premium in about 45mins, and I'm currently installing all the World Updates (30+Gb) which might take all night!

That's OK because the Series X is completely silent.

I had a quick test flight in the 172 using the Xbox controller for the first time (I have no other compatible controller yet) and it was as smooth as silk.

Using the left and right triggers for rudder and ground steering was no problem and worked quite well. You can hold the trigger part way in to get the amount of rudder deflection required, and the rudder returns to centre when released.

Panning around the cockpit highlights the adjustable controls and the tooltips tell you which buttons/joysticks to press/use.

Toggling from internal to external views is a single button press, and the same joystick pans around in both views.

The only Graphics option on Xbox is to enable HDR10 if you have a compatible monitor/TV - I don't so it's greyed out. All the other options (Views, Sound, Data etc) were synced with my PC options, brilliant!

The home screen is a bit different, the World Map is in the top right corner and when you zoom in to the World Map you now see the Bing Maps details.

In the Marketplace there are three filter options: All, Free and Paid - none of the three payware sceneries or two aircraft I own are in the Paid list yet, and in the Free list only the free items which were in the Marketplace already show up.

As an experiment, I went on to flightsim.to with the built-in Edge browser and was able to download Stinger2k2's latest Pier scenery (Lytham St. Anne's, UK) into the Downloads folder, and extract it with a free Zip app from MS Store into the Documents folder. These folders and others do exist on Xbox, they're just pretty hard to find until I figure a way to pin them onto the home page or something! If I ever find a Community folder I'll let you know...

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I got that I'd done the store update "all Good To Go" I got the false no connection so I did a win10 update then rebooted and bingo!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I am now sitting at the Installation Manager page, have clicked Continue a few times :)

D/L the 7/27 update. Lots of new things. one BIG problem: after about 5 minutes I get CTD every time. MS updates, fix one thing, break somethin' else. Kinda' like a kid with a hammer, you just hope you can get it away, before he does too much damage. Oh well. We'll see.

D/L the 7/27 update. Lots of new things. one BIG problem: after about 5 minutes I get CTD every time. MS updates, fix one thing, break somethin' else. Kinda' like a kid with a hammer, you just hope you can get it away, before he does too much damage. Oh well. We'll see.

Are you using any mods? They may need to be updated (just a suggestion)

Well, I am once again stuck on the black screen of death. Rebooted, tried different things that I found on the MS forums (none have helped).

The program closes instantly with Task Manager, guessing it is hanging somewhere.

At this point, I am not sure what to do.

Guess I will keep it going while I sleep and hope I don't fry the machine.

If i had got to that point I would have done a complete re- install overnight wasted enough time trying to figure out the problems in the past..... a re-install sort it all out I found...... but not everyone is willing to do that ha

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Installed it eventually, after 3 attempts and many hours.

Performance upgrade (FPS via Steam)? - a marginal improvement.

Noticed a few problems already: nav autopilot gives consistent 1 nm track off-error. FlybyWire A320 flicking buttons, inactive switches (e.g. landing lights), etc, etc.

Summary so far: at least 1 step backwards. Grrrr.

If i had got to that point I would have done a complete re- install overnight wasted enough time trying to figure out the problems in the past..... a re-install sort it all out I found...... but not everyone is willing to do that ha

I got up this morning and did just that. However, things have not changed, still stuck on the black screen of death (my words, lol), will not go any further. Been sitting there for 20 minutes now.

I have rebooted and attempted it again, same result.

Suggestions??

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I've been getting CTD's which I have never had before and most of the controls do not operate correctly in cockpits. Just got another crash that said "Breakpoint A Breakpoint has been reached" whatever that means. I would hold off on updating if anyone can.

Thanks Tim.

Went to both sites, did what was suggested, no good :(

Maybe you have some Windows/Apps updates outstanding.

Try Windows update and install any updates there, then try MS Store and install any updates there too.

Then launch MSFS again and see if it updates.

My PC has been looping the downloads every 2gb or so all day. I've finally done a Network reset and (touch wood) it's running better now:

Start/Settings/Network & Internet - bottom of the first (Status) page click on Network reset in blue, after it's finished restart your PC.

Edited by tiger1962

I find the best way to download these big updates is right before you go to bed dad. That's what I did last night, right before I turned in for the night I went into my computer room/ SIM room and start it at the download. I sat there for a couple minutes just to make sure everything was going smooth and then went to bed. That was probably around 11:30 p.m. Eastern

When I woke up and was leaving for work (5:45 am eastern)I checked on it and It was all done. I of course had to at least try one flight. They went amazingly well, it was like a whole new simulator. When I flew Just using my equipment and monitor everything was beyond perfect. When I tried using my oculus quest 2 vr headset it was horrible. It was like they fixed all the fps problems and all the other issues including some amazing visuals, (flew over and through NYC without any studder or glitches) but them when I used the vr it was like they downgraded the whole system.

Now with the vr it is blurry, jumpy , and studdery. I don't know what happend. I tried to play around with all the setting in msfs2020 and then the settings for the vr headset but no luck, plus I had to get to work lol.

If anyone else is having that same problem please let me know or if they've had that problem and no solution that would even be better :)

But if I don't use the VR headset that it is amazing and they finally fixed most of the problems. I was getting around 75 to 80 fps

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Maybe you have some Windows/Apps updates outstanding.

Try Windows update and install any updates there, then try MS Store and install any updates there too.

Then launch MSFS again and see if it updates.

My PC has been looping the downloads every 2gb or so all day. I've finally done a Network reset and (touch wood) it's running better now:

Start/Settings/Network & Internet - bottom of the first (Status) page click on Network reset in blue, after it's finished restart your PC.

Hi Tim, tried what you suggested, no good.

I did find a flightsimulator.exe file with zero bytes, however, I cannot delete it or do anything to it. Tried going into safe mode to see if I could delete, could not get safe mode going very well, would just stall.

I'm sure you tried emptying the community folder and checked your GPU drivers. Check device manager in windows and see if it shows any problems. Try loading without the joystick connected. Good Luck!
Windows 11, Intel i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4/3000 MHz, GeForce RTX 2070, 1TB M.2 Drive dedicated to Flight Sim