Thread: Is It OK to Delete Stuff from the Official Folder?

Question Is It OK to Delete Stuff from the Official Folder?

I've been told here that having a lot of add-ons in the Community folder increases your load time. (OK, there were some dissenting views.) Well, what about the Official folder? I looked it over today, and there's an awful lot of stuff I won't use -- in particular, a few ugly liveries for the default aircraft.

Can't I just toss them (or move them somewhere out of the sim)? Same with bush flights.

Yes you can, but the next Sim Update will replace them all and take even longer than usual to install.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Yes you can, but the next Sim Update will replace them all and take even longer than usual to install.

Replace them, I get. But "longer than usual"? Why so?

BTW, It takes me about 5 minutes on average to get to the Home screen. Then about 2 minutes to load a flight. So a CTD is a major PITA.

Also BTW: I believe I've read there's to be a big update Tuesday. Good to know.

Longer than usual because the update will re-install all of your default aircraft and liveries if any are missing.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    I've been told here that having a lot of add-ons in the Community folder increases your load time. (OK, there were some dissenting views.) Well, what about the Official folder? I looked it over today, and there's an awful lot of stuff I won't use -- in particular, a few ugly liveries for the default aircraft.

Can't I just toss them (or move them somewhere out of the sim)? Same with bush flights.
    If you delete stuff crudely from the Official folder, you're compromising the software integrity, so you're risking problems and (as Tiger said) it will try to repair itself by reinstalling all the recoverable missing stuff at the first available chance.

What you should do instead is deleting all the unwanted items from the Content Manager within game. This way you can be sure you won't delete any mandatory files, and the deleted items won't be reinstalled every time.

Believe me, I've deleted this way most of the default stuff I won't use, and it works perfect.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by danbiosca View Post
    If you delete stuff crudely from the Official folder, you're compromising the software integrity, so you're risking problems and (as Tiger said) it will try to repair itself by reinstalling all the recoverable missing stuff at the first available chance.

What you should do instead is deleting all the unwanted items from the Content Manager within game. This way you can be sure you won't delete any mandatory files, and the deleted items won't be reinstalled every time.

Believe me, I've deleted this way most of the default stuff I won't use, and it works perfect.
    Thanks. That makes sense. I had removed one livery from Official to see if is replaced by the next update, but I shall replace it ASAP.