FS9 Autogen objects with black squares

mrichie

Some months ago I broke down and got a WIN10 gaming machine for flying. Followed advice on numerous threads

to install FS9nocd and ADE. Moved over all files from old machine without a hitch. Things have been going great.

Then WIN10 did an update. (sigh).

In addition to trying to find the right combination of display resolution and resolution settings in FS9 to bring back

the original visual characteristics, all the TREES and Power Transmission towers have BLACK Squares around them.

This effects both autogen trees and 3rd party trees. Autogen buildingd and third party building objects are NOT effected.

Also, the lettering in the corner for PAUSED or SLEW have black outlines on each letter. Very weird.

I have tried combinations of ailising, resolution, scenery density with no luck.

Can anyone suggest an approach other than reinstalling FS9. I have pulled the internet connection on the machine.

If it matters: Win10 Pro, i5-8500, 32GB RAM, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 54 bit operating system

Thanks -

"For every problem, no matter how complex, there is

always a solution that is simple, well reasoned, elegant

and wrong . . ." H. L. Mencken

Well, I tried a Recovery to the previous version of WIN 10 and it tells me I cant unless

I turn ON a recovery setting. Which I did and it still will not allow a reset to the previous version. On-line help says you only have 30 days to recover to previous version. FS9 is on a different drive.

System drive is C. Anyone else have this problem with black squares?

All is well and returned to normal. Can exhale. There is a choice under System that keeps saying the Recovery can not be done. But in Win 7 Recovery in the lower left is another Recovery choice. That one says it will return system to last WIN 10 version. No arguments. Even gives a couple things to try first. Hit continue and in about 5 minutes it restarts and everything is back. A cautionary tale for FS9 users in WIN10 who let the system update automatically. Thanks for the moral support.

No, it was a Win 10 update. Didn't touch the graphics card driver. No auto update set for

that. Have now set Win10 to allow only manual update, then pulled the plug. My new flight sim rig was suppose to be an air gap unit. But i got lazy and plugged in a cable to get a scenery down load and MS snuck in there. I have a separate machine for email, writing, photo editing etc. I'll actually down load stuff there. Put it on an thumb drive and sneaker-net it across the room. Hi Tom. You've helped me elsewhere in the ether. Thanks.

This is the first time a RECOVERY has actually worked as advertised. Which is why I was reluctant with WIN10. Yea, I read the instructions and did some homework. But RECOVERY in several previous versions of Windows turned into hours long ordeals. Cheers all.

This is a little strange as we've probably all updated W10 (at least I have anyway) and haven’t seen anything like this.

What made it all the more strange was it affected only trees - both third party and autogen. Also affected transmission towers. Buildings, cars, boats, ez scenery telephone poles - all display properly. Changed ailising, changed scenery density sliders. Set things to Zero etc. Same result. Very weird.

No! :pilot:

Christopher Tarana

Could you expand on that? Asking for a friend.

mrichie

Very strange that a Win10 update can cause what look like alpha channel problems in certain texture files belonging to a non-internal Windows program like FS9.

In my experience such textures (with transparant black areas and alpha channels) can only have their transparancies messed up by programs, which re-define texture files in bulk, e.g. from one compression form to another.

Previous correctly rendered transparant black areas in those textures are in unpredictable cases then changed into other types of black, which can then no longer be rendered as transparant or have had their alpha channels removed. Hence, only some of your textures being rendered with non- or no longer alpha channeled black squares. Particularly notorious are partially alpha channeled textures which should render as, e.g. circular flood lighted apron areas at night.

However, in your case you seem to have resolved your problem anyway by reverting back to an earlier version of Win10 but to me it remains very strange indeed that ONLY this action resolved your texture problem. Anyway, all is well that ends well. and thats the main thing.

Happy landings.

Hans

Thanks for that Hans. After Recovery I went to the GTX site to check for latest graphic driver and let it do an auto install. Then took the rig off line. The dire warning message no longer appeared when running FS9. I took it to "my guy" who built the machine just to get someone with a deeper understanding look at it. He theorizes that when WIN10 did the Update and Patches it looked at the GTX driver and decided to install a generic driver or an older GTX version from the MS files. Just a theory. Or, he explained, MS is prepping Win 10 machines for Win 11 update next year and that may have messed with the graphic settings. All this above my pay grade. Interesting that my version of WIN10 Pro will not allow auto download and install update to be turned OFF. Only postponed several months or a year. While other WIN10 Pro versions still have that option: Turn Off updates and give user control. So back to sneaker net and thumb drive if I need to download anything for FS9. Yea. I maybe the last FS9 user in North America in a couple years. Cant help myself. Thanks again Hans for the answer and taking the time to help out.