Call signs and tail numbers

My number one choice of planes is the Baron 58.

I have two other planes that hold the number two slot.

All other planes hold the number three slot.

It is easy to not pay the proper attention to the communication from tower to plane.

Then you are left wandering “Was he talking to me?”

I wanted a call sign and flight number that would be easy to confirm that it was really me that they are talking to.

They string their words so close together that you sometimes can’t understand.

After considering several numbers I picked the number “999”

Spoken NINER, NINER, NINER.

That number is easy to pick out among the chatter.

The call sign was easy, BARON.

“Baron Niner Niner Niner you are not cleared to land, leave the runway.”

I now have a lot less “Was he talking to me?”

What if I am flying my Bonanza or my Diamond 62?

I have only two options.

I can leave the call sign alone and fly a lie.

I can pull up the customization menu and change it.

It would be nice to have a call sign, tail number and flight number assigned to each plane.

THAT CAN’T BE DONE.

There have been many times that I had a problem that

can’t be solved (in my mind).

Then some smart guy from FlightSim.com or someone else responds to show me the error of my ways.

VFRguy

Edited by VFRguy

“It would be nice to have a call sign, tail number and flight number assigned to each plane.

THAT CAN’T BE DONE”

Why not? Apart from it taking up valuable flying time, there’s nothing stopping you changing the callsign etc each time you choose a plane.

By the way.. I think the ATC are always talking to you. You never hear them talking to other flight simmers anyway.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I made a flight up the east coast of Italy today.

There was lots of chatter all the way up the coast.

Very little of it was for me.

I just thought that it would be nice if I did not have to change call signs every time I changed planes.

I guess that a universal call sign would do the trick.

Something like "FLIGHT 999"

I had that one before and it sounded great.

I will go back to it.

I will forget about having a call sign that fits the plane.

I use my actual (amateur radio) callsign & the ATC often just call me Romeo Tango Alpha (rather than the full callsign) which I reckon is pretty realistic :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I ½ favor my old call sign “FLIGHT 999”

Trying to find the right replacement for “FLIGHT”

Some may think this is a wast of time to discuss this topic.

I might agree but I prefer to think of it as just one more building block in creating a better flying condition in this wonderful building called MSFS.

How about “VFRGUY 999”?

I think not.

PS

I quickly fired up my Beloved Baron to test the call sign VFRGUY 999.

The guy spelled out the letters instead of pronouncing it.

Understandable.

I don't know.

Edited by VFRguy

Try Foxtrot (the letter F on it's own) instead of Flight, or Victor Foxtrot Romeo (VFR) instead of VFRGUY.

I'm flying the BBS Islander in a Loganair livery (which I requested on flightsim.to) so I'm using LOGAN as my callsign which ATC actually says instead of Lima Oscar etc. For GA planes I use my replacement XBox gamertag G-BTAW for the Tail Number which ATC spells out as Golf Bravo etc.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

My call sign is alfa-lima-oscar-hotel-alpha (ALOHA), which ATC will often abridge to "oscar-hotel-alpha," prefaced by whatever plane I'm flying--most often the Daher, but sometimes the Bonanza. So most often I hear "Daher oscar-hotel-alpha" do such and such. Works for me; I always know when they're talking to my co-pilot.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

ALOHA

That’s pretty cool.

I have been flying around with “VFRGUY 999” all day.

It’s starting to grow on me.

At first I thought that I would not like it. Not now.

ATC pronounces the letters V F R G U Y followed by NINER NINER NINER.

I like the sound of that.

Unless something better comes along I will stick with this.

PS

Fighter pilots have best Call Signs.

Edited by VFRguy

In real life, if you fly comercisl your call sign will always be the airline followed by de flight number (ie, United123) and in GA the callsign will be your tail number though you have to keep in mind that controller may shorten it if there is a traffic overload. It may happen more often with ATC than with Approach or Radar.

Safe landings.

Edited by bjl345
words mispelling

In real life, if you fly comercisl your call sign will always be the airline followed by de flight number (ie, United123) and in GA the callsign will be your tail number though you have to keep in mind that controller may shorten it if there is a traffic overload. It may happen more often with ATC than with Approach or Radar.

Safe landings.

I've noticed that, in GA, ATC will also use a company name and company-assigned number instead of the full call sign, for aviation companies based at that airport. When I flew in Kaua'i, Wings Over Kauai taxied out and talked to ATC as "Wings 10." In Scottsdale, my flight school Sierra Charlie Aviation talks to ATC as "Aviator 2" or whatever. See message below from Sierra Charlie explaining this a bit:

https://www.sierracharlieaviation.com/aviator

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

I did a search on BING for call signs.

You will not believe how much information there is on the subject.

You could spend a year reading about it.

From skimming through that stuff it seems that my call sign (VFRGUY 999)

does not qualify as a valid call sign.

I sort of figured that anyway.

I am going to go outside the box and keep it.

Edited by VFRguy

I did a search on BING for call signs.

You will not believe how much information there is on the subject.

You could spend a year reading about it.

From skimming through that stuff it seems that my call sign (VFRGUY 999)

does not qualify as a valid call sign.

I am going to go outside the box and keep it.

I use PilotEdge these days to supplement my training on ATC, which uses trained ATC controllers. I've witnessed sim pilots who tried to use creative call signs when contacting ATC run into problems, like ATC saying, "Airplane calling in, that's not a valid call sign. I need a valid US call sign unless you're international in which case you have to be registered with the FAA as a foreign aircraft."

I don't think that requirement is enforced on Vatsim but I don't know much about Vatsim. PilotEdge is for real world training so if you're not interested in real world training, and just having fun, I say do what you want to do!

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.