Thread: MSFS 2020 General newbie queries

Blog Entries

Default MSFS 2020 General newbie queries

I am new to mSFS 2020 but have flown all previous MS programs for 25+ years and have a private pilots licence so not an aviation newbie.
    I have also bought the SoFly guide but it doesn't help much with these specifics.

Queries:

1. How can I get rid of the HUD info on my exterior view display?

2. How can I change my outside view gradually rather than, (too small with the - key or too big with the + key?)

3. How can I scan the outside view in a graduated view rather than the straight ahead, port view, starboard view and head on view?

4. I take screenshots with the F12 key but where do I view them?

That's enough for now. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated up here in B.C.

Jeff
    ASUS
    Intel core i7-8700
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8Gb
    DDR4 16G
    HDD 1TB
    SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

Would probably be better to ask this in the correct forum rather than the screenshots forum, but you can switch to external view with no hud by pressing Insert from the cockpit. Then you can move around the aircraft using wasd, plus r and f for up and down.
    Spent way too much time using these sims...
    FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Blog Entries

Thanks Andy, I'm definitely new to this forum process and will endeavour to use the proper category next time

Using the insert key gets rid of HUD but freezes the sim. Can't fly in the outside view when insert is selected either from inside or outside the aircraft.

Not sure what you mean by 'wasd'?

'R' and 'F' doing nothing when tried.

Still trying to figure out where to go to see screenshots taken with the F12 key

I will post my original queries in their proper forums.

Thaanks for the help.
    ASUS
    Intel core i7-8700
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8Gb
    DDR4 16G
    HDD 1TB
    SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

Let's see if I can explain. wasd are the keys you would use to move the point of view around the plane. Press c to switch back and forth between mode where you are just looking and can control the plane. Same thing, r will go up, f will go down. Then you can use the arrow keys to point the camera in the direction you want.

When you press F12, I believe it takes a screenshot but just to memory, then you have to past it somewhere and save.
    Spent way too much time using these sims...
    FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Download Irfanview 64, a great program for editing all types of images, and will allow you to view and appropriately edit screenshots to be able to post in threads (reduce size and compress per the forum rules).

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm
    Last edited by plainsman; 07-25-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Look up fsscreen.zip in the library. It takes a screenshot when you hit the 'printscreen' key.
    I've used it forever. It saves the screenshots in whatever folder you put fsscreen in.

Quote Originally Posted by ussmidway View Post
    Look up fsscreen.zip in the library. It takes a screenshot when you hit the 'printscreen' key.
    I've used it forever. It saves the screenshots in whatever folder you put fsscreen in.
    I've always just opened the screenshot in Paint. Then save it to wherever you edit your pix. (I still use Picassa, now discontinued by Google due to its incredible excellence, but it still works for most purposes.)

Also, if you want to post screenshots on this forum, your default screen res is probably too high. But you can use Paint to resize, too, like to 60%,

Hi, I personally never see the HUD in external view (& I’ve never pressed insert)
    There’s a option in the settings page to enable or disable it. I’m not at home at the moment so can’t check.. but I think it’s under “assistance”

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Quote Originally Posted by jlaurie View Post
    I am new to mSFS 2020 but have flown all previous MS programs for 25+ years and have a private pilots licence so not an aviation newbie.
    I have also bought the SoFly guide but it doesn't help much with these specifics.

Queries:

1. How can I get rid of the HUD info on my exterior view display?

2. How can I change my outside view gradually rather than, (too small with the - key or too big with the + key?)

3. How can I scan the outside view in a graduated view rather than the straight ahead, port view, starboard view and head on view?

4. I take screenshots with the F12 key but where do I view them?

That's enough for now. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated up here in B.C.

Jeff
    1. Getting rid of HUD.
    General Options. Camera. Chase Camera. (HUD) On or off.

About question numbers 2 and 3: Both with the chase (outside) and cockpit views, you can pan by holding the right mouse button and dragging your mouse around. Scrolling with the mouse wheel gradually changes the zoom of the view.
    Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.4 GHz
    16 GB @ 3200 MHz
    GTX 970
    2560 x 1080