Instant Replay on MSFS?

Replay functionality is still under development and is planned for release sometime this year. Keep an eye on the weekly development updates from Asobo for any further updates.

You can also record your flight using third party tools, however, these aren't quite the same as what previous sims offered.

I use the X Box Game Bar which I found under the Settings menu in Win 10. You don't need X Box to use this recording function. You can ad lib audio as well if you want to share the video with someone and provide personal commentary. It is rather data intensive and you can find yourself creating rather large files pretty quickly so when I make a video, I break it into several smaller files and then use Dropbox to send them. Very easy to start, stop and add audio, with keyboard strokes.

I use the X Box Game Bar which I found under the Settings menu in Win 10. You don't need X Box to use this recording function. You can ad lib audio as well if you want to share the video with someone and provide personal commentary. It is rather data intensive and you can find yourself creating rather large files pretty quickly so when I make a video, I break it into several smaller files and then use Dropbox to send them. Very easy to start, stop and add audio, with keyboard strokes.

Although Xbox game bar is very good (I also use it) it’s not what the OP was asking for.

Replay mode (which other sims had) let’s you sit in your aircraft while it plays the flight back. You can also view the aircraft from outside.. watching it fly past etc.

I used to use replay mode to demonstrate VR to people. I would prerecord a flight.. then give them the vr headset and they could enjoy the flight in vr, without having to control the aircraft.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Ok Steve. Good point. You make an interesting point in that I was not aware that you could use Instant Replay as the sim (flight) was running. I only use it after my flight was completed. Is this a feature I have been missing all these years? And if so, how do you implement it? Seeing that I don't have MSFS 2020, this may not be relevant to members of this forum. My apologies.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, FSX has the replay function and it actually works very well. You can save as many replays as you want & then play them back later. You can sit on board as a passenger and just enjoy the ride.. or maybe take screenshots from different angles.. record it with the game bar :)

FS2020 will be getting this sometime later this year

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Just booted up FSX to try replay. I haven’t done it for quite some time & I could only see “instant reply” listed. I’m pretty sure I used to save & load replays.. but it’s been a while and I don’t really have the time to look into it further at the moment.

Regards

Steve

Its a basic and important function that should have been there from day one. IMO demonstrates that ASOBO is not quite in tune with long time flight sim users and to date still is not quite there. IMO they seem confused (or unable) on what to fix first so they plod along with scenery add ons. Edited by natman1965

• 4 weeks later...
Its a basic and important function that should have been there from day one. IMO demonstrates that ASOBO is not quite in tune with long time flight sim users and to date still is not quite there. IMO they seem confused (or unable) on what to fix first so they plod along with scenery add ons.

Having a natural distrust for all things Microsoft, my thoughts are they don't want replays pasted all over the internet that show the perceived flaws in the sim. I have to believe that somewhere, someone who is 'in the know' has just read this reply and Is excaliming BINGO! I don't know... It will be very nice when we finally get a replay function though.

Having a natural distrust for all things Microsoft, my thoughts are they don't want replays pasted all over the internet that show the perceived flaws in the sim.

Again.. the replay mode is not a “recording that you can post all over the internet” - it’s a way of re-sitting your flight.. in flight sim.

We can easily make recordings now.. so many ways.. and yes we can post them over the internet.. good points or flaws.

Regards

Steve

Having a natural distrust for all things Microsoft, my thoughts are they don't want replays pasted all over the internet that show the perceived flaws in the sim. I have to believe that somewhere, someone who is 'in the know' has just read this reply and Is excaliming BINGO! I don't know... It will be very nice when we finally get a replay function though.

A proper replay feature is one of the top features on the development road map and is slated for release later this year.