EVER WONDER?

Whenever I put together a flight plan I save it as a (.PLN) file.

If I want to exit the flight and go kiss my girlfriend I save the file, but I can not save it as a (.PLN) file.

It appears that my only option is to save it as a (.FLT) file.

I wonder why.

This not a big deal but I think about it every time I want to save an active flight plan.

I suppose that this violates some kind of rule that some programmer thought up just to drive me crazy.

VFRguy

Edited by VFRguy

EVER WONDER?

If I want to exit the flight and go kiss my girlfriend I save the file, but I can not save it as a (.PLN) file.

I wonder why.

This not a big deal but I think about it every time I want to save an active flight plan.

I suppose that this violates some kind of rule that some programmer thought up just to drive me crazy.

VFRguy

You could solve the problem - quit kissing your girlfriend !

If my attention is diverted away from the plane (like the cat wanting attention), I just hit the Escape key, then when I am ready I hit the Escape key again and continue on :)
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

EVER WONDER?

I wonder why.

VFRguy

I think the answer is:

The .pln (plan file) is just that. A flight plan. Shows what you intend (plan) to do or hope to do. It can be changed or updated before loading.

The .flt (flight file) is the state of the flight at the time it is created. It shows where you are, what you are doing, the state of your aircraft etc.. It is not a plan but a description of the flight as it stands at the time.

My humble opinion of course.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

I think I agree with everything you say which why I now do not keep my PLN files very long.

They are easy to make, at least for my way of flying.

I keep only four plans.

Two plans for Touch and Go’s, for right and left patterns.

One for JFK and one for Washington DC (just because).

I find that I never repeat the same plan.

This whole thing opens up old wounds which I will talk about shortly.