FSX Memory

PDNoel

I am aware that FSX 32-Bit on a Win 32-Bit machine will only use 2GB memory regardless of how much physical memory you have installed. My question is if you have apps such as AS16 and other apps running at the same time would having more memory installed help you or is 4GB all you can ever use? I also heard that FSX is a CPU heavy app. What processor speed would be best?

FSX is always a 32-bit application, and therefore will use up to 4 GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space), if enough RAM is available for it, and that is also true for a 32-bit Windows, which can only address up to 4 GB of RAM.

Example: Way back when I had a Windows XP 32-bit system with 4 GB RAM. FSX would grab around 3.5 GB, the rest was for the OS. Now I have a Windows 10 64-bit system with 16 GB of RAM, FSX grabs the 4 GB it can.

What processor speed would be best? Easy - the fastest one your budget will allow.

Jorgen

FSX is always a 32-bit application, and therefore will use up to 4 GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space), if enough RAM is available for it, and that is also true for a 32-bit Windows, which can only address up to 4 GB of RAM.

Example: Way back when I had a Windows XP 32-bit system with 4 GB RAM. FSX would grab around 3.5 GB, the rest was for the OS. Now I have a Windows 10 64-bit system with 16 GB of RAM, FSX grabs the 4 GB it can.

What processor speed would be best? Easy - the fastest one your budget will allow.

Jorgen

A 32 bit application on a 32 bit Windows system can only access 2 GB of address space by default. For the app to access more than this you need to use the 3GB switch setting for Windows and the application itself needs to have the largeaddressaware flag set, which the initial versions of FSX did not (Acceleration/SP2 set it). As you note, a 32 bit desktop Windows system can only access 4 GB of RAM (and usually a bit less as the GPU and other devices will use up some of the VAS), no matter how much is installed. If upgrading, I would seriously look into moving to a 64 bit version of Windows.

Definitely want to go for the fastest processor you can afford, with 3GHz as a minimum.