Silver Wings will not boot

elmerfudd

It's the strangest thing. I created a separate installation of FS9, the Silver Wings. I used it to fly the Grumman Goose from Toronto over to northern Europe, then down to Valencia, Spain. About twenty flights. One fine morning when I went to start the program, it hangs up and crashes when it reaches the point where it's trying to set the weather. I've tried with an alternate flight, and got it to load, but after a few minutes the program crashes. The regular FS9 works fine.

I even copied over a known good copy from a test machine, with the same results. I've tried every trick I know, but this one has me stumped.

Elmer J. Fudd

I have some of the default planes. I have removed those that didn't exist in the 1970s. The funny thing is, it works in my other computer, and the regular FS9 works in this one, but not the Silver Wings.

Elmer J. Fudd

I'm not sure what it could be, is the other PC running a different version of Windows, I have Silver Wings and I'm on Windows 7.

You may need to re-install Silver Wings again, it may have missed a file or got corrupted or something.

Have you googled it to see if anyone else has or had this and found the cause?

Col.

Mmmmm, maybe try deleting it's fs9.cfg & restarting. The sim will rebuilt the fs9.cfg, & you will probably have to redo key assignments.

No issues in running FS2004 in Windows 10.. (I'm running 8 versions, including GW).

Run in Windows XP mode, as Adminintrator & the install must NOT be in it's default Program Files folder, but directly in C:\

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I figgered it out. Sometimes, FS9 will trash my .cfg file, so I keep backup copies. The trubble was that Silver Wings requires Render to Texture to be checked. (Render to Texture gave me some trouble in my regular FS9, so I unchecked it.) When Silver Wings trashed my .cfg file, my backup file had Render to Texture set to 0. Dunno how that happened.

Elmer J. Fudd

Mmmmm, maybe try deleting it's fs9.cfg & restarting. The sim will rebuilt the fs9.cfg, & you will probably have to redo key assignments.

No issues in running FS2004 in Windows 10.. (I'm running 8 versions, including GW).

Yes, that would have worked. See above post.

Run in Windows XP mode, as Adminintrator & the install must NOT be in it's default Program Files folder, but directly in C:\

I have read before that the install must be in C:, but I'm not sure why that is. I tried that, but it caused other problems, so I run it in the Program Files folder, as I have since about 2005. Works for me. When I had it in C:, I had trouble adjusting the .air files, using AirEd. Note that I run my sims on old boxes that run Win XP. I have a Win 7 box, but the sims don't run well there, due to a cheap video card.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Millionaire. I own a mansion, und a yacht.

Edited by elmerfudd

Windows 10 protects the Program Files folder, making it VERY difficult to edit or change any of the files therein, hence installing FS2004 into the PC's root directory. FS2004, in Windows 10, for me, seems to run smoother.

What other problems have you had?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I can't say I recall other problems. It was too brief an experiment, and too long ago. It was mainly not being able to make changes to .air files. I gave installing in C: in my Win 7 box a try, but I decided not to bust my head against it.

Elmer J. Fudd

Edited by elmerfudd