MSFS installation problem

Couldn't start MSFS for a few days. Hanged itself after checking for updates. Several attempts to restart,

were unsuccessful. I then uninstalled MSFS according to Microsoft's instructions and tried to reinstall. Does not work,

What am I doing wrong: I open the Microsoft store with my account, select "my library" and the purchased MSFS

Premium de luxe version. The message appears: This product belongs to you. I now click on "install" and you will be asked

Which partition the MSFS should be placed on. Determine this and click "Install" again. Nothing happens, that is, it won't

Connection to the download server established. I tried this several times, also switching off the virus scanner and firewall,

without result, where is the error? Thank you in advance for good advice.

Prior to reinstalling, log out of the MS Store, do a reboot and log back into the store and see if you can download the Basic version as @rockinrobin stated.

A number of people have had to do that to get the install going.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

You should always install the standard version, irrespective of the version you own. You then download the addition content (premium deluxe stuff) within the sim’s content manager.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

What HAJOREI posted to open this thread pretty well describes my experience. About a week ago, for no apparent reason, MSFS shut down about 1 minute into the loading process. I tried and tried, but could not get it to finish loading--it always shut down after going into the "black screen" at the beginning of loading...I spent a lot of time searcing for answers--the forums, web, etc. Nothing got MSFS to fully start.

I finally uninstalled the program and tried to get a new installation at the MS Store. They put me in a loop that basically would not let the new install work. I called the MS Support phone number and a technician took over my computer and could do no better through the MS Store. He said he discovered that the XBox support team was working on the problem and that many MSFS users were reporting the same thing I was: MSFS suddendly stopped working and they were unable to get a re-install through the MS Store. The tech said the XBox team told him they expected to have the problem solved within 5-6 days. That time has passed and I still cannot get a convincing re-install through the MS Store...Really frustrating!...

The best I can do through the Store is to get a MSFS logo on my screen, a progress line below it, and the word "Downloading" above it. Hours pass, but no downloading shows on the progress line and I can find nothing downloaded on my computer. It says it is downloading, but I can find no evidence of it...

That's where I'm at now...I'm really pretty much out of ideas of how to get a REAL re-install from the MS Store...I left that MSFS logo and "Downloading" progress line on for the last 2 days and nothing seems to have changed--no indication on the progress line or on my computer that any real downloading has taken place...

I'm wondering what Forum users would suggest...Have any of you had a problem re-installing? Anything similar to what I have experienced?...All ideas welcomed...I miss not being able to fly the "Friendly MSFS skies"...

Lee Graves

How about uninstalling the MS Store, then reinstalling it? Might be worth a try.

When you reinstall Flight Sim from the Store, make sure you choose the standard version (not the deluxe or premium deluxe)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi Lee, hope this helps...

to uninstall MS Store...

to reinstall

Lee, don’t try these if you’re unsure. It’s not the easiest thing is it? I wouldn’t want you have any more problems.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

You are right Steve, about the complexity of trying to uninstall and reinstall the MS Store...I think for the time being, about all I can do is be patient and hope Microsoft can get the Store back to providing downloading and installation services to verified MSFS owners.

Has anyone on the Forum been able to install the program recently?...

Additional suggestions and ideas are welcomed...Thanks in advance for all help...

Lee Graves

I had the exact same thing happen and finally found a way to call them and talk. I was on the phone for 4 hours and talked to maybe 8 - 10 people, most of whom I could hardly understand because of language problems. I talked with the store, Xbox, and even a Windows tech (who took over my computer and couldn't find a problem). The last one I talked with advised to request a refund, which I did and was rejected because of the time I had it. I got a note from someone at the store later saying to resubmit the refund. I did and it was rejected. I finally repurchased from Steam and it works fine. A couple of months later, I went to the store and it downloaded - same computer. So I now have two copies of the Deluxe version on the same computer - different drives - and $79.99 less in my pocket. Good luck!

Still trying to download and install MSFS, and the MS Store is still refusing to let me do it. This, despite the fact they acknowledge I am a verified MSFS Premium Deluxe owner and my designated computer and Local Drive C (32 GB memory and 1 TB SSD) is rated by the Store as "Status OK."

I apologize if some feel I am "beating this issue to death." I just hope some MS people who can help me (and other MSFS buyers like me, who are experiencing a similar disappointment) will read this thread and make it possible for us to start enjoying the program again...

I still wonder if I am the only one unable to download and reinstall the program. Has anyone on the Forum been able to reinstall MSFS recently?...I hate to think I'm MS's lone victim (LOL, kinda)...

Additional suggestions and ideas always welcomed...Thanks in advance for any help...

Lee Graves

Hi Lee, just to confirm.. you are trying to download the standard version, yes?

You always download this and get the additional (premium deluxe) content later, from the content manager

Regards

Steve

Steve, thanks for the reminder. Yes, I am trying to download and install the MSFS standard version...In checking the other forums, I found a poster who said the MS Store required him to install Digital Ownership before they would let him install MSFS. I've tried doing that, but was rejected, just like with MSFS. Do you think it's wise to try to continue trying the install both programs? ...

I'm being rejected for installation, with (error) "Code 0x80070424" being cited as a reason...I have submitted a number of "user problem" reports with the Store (MS?). The report forms all started with "Code 0x80070424," given by the Store...

Any additional suggestions and ideas are always welcomed...Thanks in advance for all help...

Lee Graves

That code is a Windows 10 repair code. Have you updated Windows? Maybe your Windows 10 has become corrupted?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks Plainsman--I checked and my Win 10 is up-to-date... When asked, I also added several optional updates; all of which failed to satisfy the Store...

The routine, after I click to "Retry installation of MSFS," is for the Store to indicate they are "Downloading," and then about 5 seconds later, say across the progress line (which never shows any progress), "Error - See details." Clicking that message produces the following: "Something Unexpected Happened" and the "0x80070424" error code. Also, a suggestion to either file an Error Report, or "wait a bit and try again." I've done both, quite a few times!...

I wish you would tell me what you make of all this? And, thanks again for helping...

Lee Graves

Hi Lee, sorry I forgot to mention Digital Ownership. Yes, you download that as well.. or at least you’re supposed to. I dont know what to suggest at the moment though (currently at work) hopefully the errors won’t be too hard to fix.. but I don’t know how just yet

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. confirming the need to download and install Digital Ownership. I keep trying to install that and MSFS Standard version, but continue to be blocked by the Store. I sent another Error Report, saying my Win 10 was up-to-date and my computer system already approved. I don't know what else to do...

I also called the Store (and MS) support phone number, but they do not seem to be allowing any "live" conversations with technicians--go to the web, they say...

No one on the Forum has said they have tried lately to install MSFS. I don't know if the Store is installing now, or not. Are other players being turned away? Or, am I the only one?

Anyway, I hate to see this thread drift away from lack of replies. I'm still hoping some MS people will read it and fix things so myself and those with the same problem get some help...

Lee Graves

(Ryzen 5 3600 cpu; ASUS ROG B-550-F MB; 32 GB Corsair memory; GeForce 2060 video card; Sabrent 1 TB SSD; ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor; Updated Win 10; ANTEC case)

Hi Lee, just found this which might help..

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error-0x80070424-windows-update-and-microsoft-store/

You’ll have to scroll down to the bit where it says “solution”

Some say t worked for them

Regards

Steve

I feel your pain. I started having issues about 3 days ago. I uninstalled last night and am downloading now. Did the reg version even though I have the Prem Deluxe. Im at 44.89gb downloaded and its only been 4 hours. I hope this fixes the problem.

The only thing I did to my sim prior to all the issues was to download (from the content manager) the updated airport about 30 miles from Corcheavaul, France. After I did that it has been all downhill. Really a bit of a bummer since I had 400 hours logged.

Time will tell....

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

4 hours later and not much better. I was able to get to the main page and load up the Isafjodur landing challenge. It gets about 90% loaded and then CTD.

So very frustrating!

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

Thanks Steve. for the link. The advice worked for about 3/4 of those responding, afterwards; but, regrettably, not for me...Also, thanks to Disneyflyer for his posts. Were you able to fully download, install and run MSFS?

I have visited a dozen or more web sites that said they could help visitors remove error code 0x80070424. I tried their suggestions (except those I thought might make things worse). None succeeded..I'm more convinced than ever that the problem is on the MS Store end, rather than the players. I hope Microsoft people read these posts and determine exactly where the error is occurring and get it corrected for all the MSFS buyers who should be able to re-install when necessary.

I also hope this problem doesn't get lost in the XBox frenzy; assuming MSFS on XBox is released tomorrow, as long announced...

All suggestions and idea always welcomed...Thanks in advance for all help...

Lee Graves

(Ryzen 5 3600 cpu; ASUS ROG B-550-F MB; 32 GB Corsair memory; GeForce 2060 video card; Sabrent 1 TB SSD; ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor; Updated Win 10; ANTEC case)

I was finally able to get mine to work. I had to call in an expert, my 23 old gamer kid to figure it out.

There was something glitchy in one of the downloads from the updates from ASOBO. Not sure which one it was. When he gets back, Ill ask him. Right now I have 5 that are not installed. Think he said it was one of the ones from the most recent update.

In order to get it to work, he uninstalled again and then did the download from the Premium Deluxe version, not the basic. When I was trying to do it, it was the basic game and then downloading all the updates.

It took a while but finally back in the skies and just in time for the next update. But at least they say a performance increase on this go around. I have mine on high settings and usually average around 30FPS in most conditions. Im not 4k but I might switch to the new monitor and go ultra.

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and help.

Yesterday, according to the Store, I installed and updated MSFS Standard (v1.8.13.0) and

digital Ownership (v1.0.1.0). The Store did not put me through the usual installation (90 GB?) marathon. In fact, I was hardly aware the 2 programs had installed, until I checked "my library." It said both were installed and upgraded to the versions above. Are those, in fact, the correct new updated numbers?

The only new MSFS additions to my ComputerA I can find are the C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe file (16KB) and the Digital Ownereship file (16KB). Is 1.8.30.0 the current MSFS version (including the latest update?)... When I checked, the used space of my local drive C (1 TB SSD) was about the same as it has been for days (I can't remember the earlier number, exactly). No big GB increase.

When the original program began crashing (during the "black screen" start-up) and I uninstalled it, my MSFS files on drive C were seemingly untouched (MSFS Games\Community; IVAO; Official) (166GB). They remain there...

So, I'm excited to start MSFS again. But, it's like a re-play of 2 weeks ago: Loading to the "black screen" and then it crashes!...The Task Manager showed the MSFS gpu drawing 90+% of capacity (like it always did in the past) and then quickly dropping to 0% as the program failed...After all the effort, I seem to be back where I started...Very close to getting MSFS to continue loading, before it crashes...

The mystery is, what's stopping it from completely loading?...And, where are the MSFS files kept that started the program? The Store did not seem to have downloaded them to my computer, as the original installation did...Were these retained, hidden on my computer? Are they being drawn from Cloud?...

I apologize again, for drawing out this thread. But, I'm determined to get myself and all MSFS buyers with a similar problem back in the simulation skies--if it's possible...

I hope Steve, The Plainsman, and others can help us...All suggestions and ideas welcomed and appreciated....

Lee Graves

Hi Have just installed the latest update .When I go to my content manager it mentioned some are partially installed.At the bottom is says install and delete.A I supposed to delete and then install? Thanks for any help.Fairly new with this sim.