MSFS installation problem

Hi Lee, sorry to see you’re still having problems. The MS Store only installs a very small part of the sim (something like 1gb) you then have to run it to install the main part, but you you probably know that.

What happens if you try running flight sim from the store? (there should be a “launch” button)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve, for getting back to me. My problem continues to be not being able to download and install either MSFS Standard or Digital Ownership programs. When I try, a progress line appears and the word "Downloading" shows above it. A few seconds after clicking to start the DL, it stops and "Error" appears. Clicking on that produces the 0x80070424 error...Removing this is my biggest obstacle to getting the programs on my ComputerA.

I have tried many, many suggested ways on the web to get rid of that error; with little success, Once, long ago, for some reason I do not know, downloading actually began and completed!--first for one and then the other program. When started, however, MSFS would not continue through the "black screen" to actually begin the 90GB(?) installation. I tried repeatedly and could not, despite a lot of different ways, get past the black screen...

I mistakenly believed I had permanently removed the error, and followed one "expert's" advice to "do a clean uninstall and re-install." Big mistake, I guess. Once again, 0x80070424 showed-up and has continued to do so ever since...The fact remains, however, I should be able to DL and install the programs whenever I want to--they're paid for and other buyers do it at will...What do you think?...

Apparently, no one on the Forum seems to have a solution and I regret taking up so much space and time here...I haven't given up; just discouraged I can't enjoy MSFS, like everyone else...

What are your thoughts Steve?...And, thanks again...

Lee Graves

Hi Lee, the error message is clearly to do with Windows updates. I know you’ve already tried many suggestions and may have already seen this, but if not...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/219658/windows-update-error-0x80070424.html

You download the zip file.. extract it (or easiest way.. copy everything in it, to an empty folder. Then run

the file w10-wuauserv.reg and click Yes when asked for confirmation.

Then restart windows.. and you should be able to update it.... then “maybe” the downloads will work.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Lee,

I am having the same problem as you. My MSFS downloaded SU5 and and I was able to start the sim. But I was never able to get in the air after the SU5 update. I was doing some calibration of my flight yoke and closed the sim to go to bed. The next morning I got the Microsoft Store Gaming Services error when trying to load MSFS. I had left my computer on all night and no changes were made. I have been trying for a week now without any luck. Today I uninstalled MSFS and am stuck in the Windows Store unable to download MSFS. I am not getting the error that you get. Mine just says Starting Download but nothing ever happens. Digital Ownership just shows Pending. Nothing I do will get the download of either MSFS or Digital Ownership to happen. So you are not alone. I have no idea what to do next except repurchase from Steam. But then I don't know if all of my purchased content (airports) will work in Steam. Also I have really gotten fond of the FBW A320 and not sure if it works with Steam.

Anyway you are not alone. Please let me know if you figure this out. And I will do the same. Oh yea I own the Standard Edition of MSFS.

Edit I forgot to mention that my computer is up to date with all Windows 10 updates as well as Store updates. I just did all that this morning. This one really has me scratching my head.

Edited by bam1220

Lee,

I am having the same problem as you. My MSFS downloaded SU5 and and I was able to start the sim. But I was never able to get in the air after the SU5 update. I was doing some calibration of my flight yoke and closed the sim to go to bed. The next morning I got the Microsoft Store Gaming Services error when trying to load MSFS. I had left my computer on all night and no changes were made. I have been trying for a week now without any luck. Today I uninstalled MSFS and am stuck in the Windows Store unable to download MSFS. I am not getting the error that you get. Mine just says Starting Download but nothing ever happens. Digital Ownership just shows Pending. Nothing I do will get the download of either MSFS or Digital Ownership to happen. So you are not alone. I have no idea what to do next except repurchase from Steam. But then I don't know if all of my purchased content (airports) will work in Steam. Also I have really gotten fond of the FBW A320 and not sure if it works with Steam.

Anyway you are not alone. Please let me know if you figure this out. And I will do the same. Oh yea I own the Standard Edition of MSFS.

Edit I forgot to mention that my computer is up to date with all Windows 10 updates as well as Store updates. I just did all that this morning. This one really has me scratching my head.

barn1220--I am finally back in the MSFS skies (Christmas, for me, came early this year!), after a lot of Forum help and a Windows 10 program I should have used after my first CTD. That program is System Restore...

I would suggest you use it to re-start Windows a day or so before you had a problem; hopefully, when everything was working properly...That's what I ultimately did--and it worked!...You don't want to wait too long, because the re-start dates keep moving forward, staying reasoably close to the current one...My MSFS re-start version was 1.17.13.0, so I had to update it some 127+ GB to bring it up to 1.18.14.0. As soon as I re-started MSFS, I was ask to download a needed update; which I gladly did...It took about 12 hours (later, I did it again!); but, time well-spent (lol)...

Here's a site that may help:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/here-s-how-to-restore-windows-10-to-an-earlier-point-in-time/ar-BB1bJR2D

If you try it, let us know if it helped...Good luck...

Lee Graves

Lee thanks. I have been going back to a disk image on an external drive that I made right before SU5. Back when MSFS would load up just fine. But for some reason I am still getting the Microsoft Store Gaming Services screen when I try to load MSFS. So it's now installed from a disk image but I can't load the game. I have no idea why unless the setting is stored in the cloud. Sim loaded fine when I made the image. I am at a loss how to fix this. I keep reading of people finally fixing the issue but so far nothing. I even installed Windows 11 today in the hopes it would fix the Gaming Services issue when trying to start the sim. No luck. I am now back on my Windows 10 image that I made before SU5. Still getting the Gaming Store issue. I have been at this for a week now. I am about to bite the bullet and buy the sim on Steam. I have had it with the MS Store. But I hate to repurchase something I have already bought including about 6 add on airports in the marketplace. MS was no help. They gave up and told me to just buy the sim on Steam. Great support.

I am having the exact same problem the OP and Lee Graves are having, almost to the letter. I've tried all the suggested fixes. None have worked so far. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MS Store, which was harder than the help page system because there is no Admin version of Windows PowerShell available on either of my computers, so I had to manually search my registry for all keys concerning the Store, and manually delete them. Lost count of how many. The reinstall can be done from the available PowerShell program. But the store still does exactly as before.ine does not say downloading, instead it says pending. Sounds like a major screw up in all the programs, caused by an update somewhere. If the experts can't figure it out, I guess the future for the internet is SOL.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Well after a week and 1 day I still can not get past the Gaming Services screen. I have now given up and gone back to FS9. I have it on a old computer with all of my addons from over the years. I can honestly say that I just had the most enjoyable flight once again. No more headaches and no more pulling my hair out trying to get MSFS to load. It's too bad really. This sim really did have potential until SU5. But life is too short to have to keep doing MS/Asobo's job to keep a game working. Good luck to all of you still fighting this.

Edit Since I had just purchased the game on July 18th (Had been using the Xbox For PC Pass for the past year) my credit card bank is issuing me a refund for MSFS. Since I was sold a program that I can not use after July 27th. Makes me feel better about all of this. I might try P3D or XPlane 11. Haven't tried those before.

Edited by bam1220

my credit card bank is issuing me a refund for MSFS. Since I was sold a program that I can not use after July 27th.

Now THAT is the kind of complaint that Microsoft will listen to. Well done and happy simming for the future!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi leegra and bam1220 and other simmers.

Sadly, I do not have a magic bullet for you regarding your persistent downloading problems but would just like to share my own frustrations with you and, perhaps, point you towards some kind of fix, albeit one that will probably be scoffed at by the community at large!

MSFS is truly a complicated piece of software and, in my opinion, should not have been launched twelve months ago whilst still full of bugs. But, what am I saying, twelve months and several upgrades later, it is still full of bugs!

It took me three weeks after the launch of the sim, last year, to actually load it. I specced a new PC just for this program, and not a cheap one either, just to get back into flight sim - a program that I've had on my PCs since the mid 80's. Eventually, like one of you, I had to speak with MS directly and get them to do a remote connect in the hope that they would fix the installation issue for me.

They were on for a couple of hours and I realised finally that they didn't know anymore about the problem than I did. I felt as though they'd 'raped' my machine. I think they left me re-installing Windows 10 and assured me that would fix my problem - it didn't! I went on for another week, trying everything for a fix. In the end I asked the MS Store for a refund and was promptly answered and refunded - full marks to MS for that - the only action in this entire episode that has gone without a hitch!

I then purchased from the XBOX store a Game Pass and, unbelievably, was able to download FS2020. Everyone one else has been playing this sim for a month but, no matter, I've got it and am now in the 'big boys' league.

That's until World Update 1 makes it's arrival. Guess what - I get some kind of meaningless 'hex' error telling me that I've got a failure downloading the upgrade. Panic sets in - what do I do? Am spending hours and hours reading all of the trusted flight sim sites looking for an answer and, in all honesty, am trying all sorts of 'stupid' fixes that people are spouting on about.

Eventually, it's bite the bullet time - I can't get over my failure to load the updated sim and so I decide to re-install Windows. This is a big decision for me because although I have had a PC from the very first PCs, I know nothing about re-installing the operating system. I do it and it works. However, it is a proper pain in the arse to then have to reload all of the programs and applications, shortcuts and Windows views etc. that you have come to know and love, BUT, I've got MSFS back!

World Update 2 - exactly the same - failure - different hex code - all bullshit! Panic sets in again but Hey! I have a bit of experience now. Every upgrade and hotfix errors in some way and every time I re-install Windows 10.

Won't pretend that my heart is not in my mouth every time I go through this but it works and at least I'm up still up there, flying with the rest of them.

I've created a folder that contains links to all of my 'Windows' applications, shortcuts etc, etc, which reminds me what I should do each time I do a complete re-install of Windows. As soon as I re-install, I open my folder and go through each item within that folder and set up my machine to look exactly like it did before. Yes, it's a pain - but it's quicker than spending hours and hours searching for MSFS answers that don't really work. Re-installing Windows takes me about 45 mins, loading all of my previous programs, etc, takes another hour. Should I have to do this on a regular basis - Definitely not - BUT it works! To be able to log into the MS Store or XBOX store and receive your new download is most gratifying.

That has been the story of my MSFS experience to date. When I'm up and running, the sim is most enjoyable. I only fly in the UK, so only download UK scenery and interests. Have the C152 modded, fantastic aircraft, along with the c152 STOL. Have the PA28 iii and PA28 ii, both brilliant aircraft.

I think it will be a long time before this sim is fixed and most of us can relax. In the meantime, my heart goes out to all of those people who struggle update upon update to get some sort of resolution.

Best wishes to you all.

Tony

I've gone through all the horrible experiences you guys describe here. The support is just appaling and rather than go for the ultimate solution, which is to reinstall W10 and MSFS, which does not solve my problem, I decided to persevere...

One of the problems is the MS Store not keeping up with the fact the game may have been reset and/or uninstalled. This creates a miryad of problems. But simply resetting the MS Store cache helps. This is a very simple thing to do: Win-R and type 'wsreset.exe' - reboot.

This will not solve all the problems but only discards one and ensures the store is up-to-date.

The next thing, which I think is the main culprit (in my case) is Ntfs Encryption not being set. Using XBOX app to try to download and reinstall MSFS, I got an error message stating that the drive did not support encryption. The way to get past this error is to: Win-R and type 'regedit.exe' and look for the key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem - in there look for NtfsDisableEncryption and set the DWORD value to 0. This got me at the stage where the downloads and the installation of Digital Ownership and MSFS installed and where registered correctly on the MS Store.

The above is what got me back in the sim but I can't guarantee this will help others though I hope it will.

R.